The mkiv Supra Owners Club

iPhone 4

caseys

I recommend looking into your current data usage on an iPhone before 'upgrading'.

Is that in a you'll be pleasantly surprised fashion, or scared witless?

I've a jailbroken iPhone at the moment, which isn't configured to access the 3G data network. I've therefore never used it online other than in WIFI hotspots so have no concept of how much bandwidth I *might* consume on a legitimate contract.

I'm seriously considering a PayG and ditch the contract as since Steph moved over here I never use it other than for texts and to check in, so the only potential headache is the data, they are currently offering 250Mb on PayG, so I'm presuming that'll be more than enough.

Mike

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, there will be a delay in the UK for iPhone 4 until the 2nd July. Could be a rumour but I've heard it a few times now.

I'm off to Oxford Street on Friday to have 'iPhone 4 Training' as inorder to sell them we need to know about them and how to 'maximise the phone's abilities'

Is that in a you'll be pleasantly surprised fashion, or scared witless?

I've a jailbroken iPhone at the moment, which isn't configured to access the 3G data network. I've therefore never used it online other than in WIFI hotspots so have no concept of how much bandwidth I *might* consume on a legitimate contract.

I'm seriously considering a PayG and ditch the contract as since Steph moved over here I never use it other than for texts and to check in, so the only potential headache is the data, they are currently offering 250Mb on PayG, so I'm presuming that'll be more than enough.

Mike

For instance, I view the forum, surf a few web pages and probably check my personal email accounts (4) hourly and in 11 months used 3600Mb so 350Mb/month roughly speaking, also download any apps etc etc.

I'd say unless you're viewing a lot of Youtube, using spotify or real data intensive apps generally you should be fine.

Got the 24th off after having worked 23 hours over the weekend :)

Some of the other sums are interesting.

£40/18 month contract + 32GB phone is £20 more expensive over the length of the contract than the £35/18 month contract with the same phone.

Simplicity 12 month contract over 18 months + £600 phone is £40 cheaper than the £35/18 month contract.

But the Simplicity + buying a new phone is £30 more expensive than the £35/24, £40/18 contracts, over the life of the contract.

Apologies for length here....

This morning talked to my friend in o2 customer services regarding the iphone 4 and working out costs etc

All service providers are slashing the data allowances as they seem to actually have some customers (20% doing 4-5Gb/month, some actually hit 8-10Gb/month - wtf are these people doing? sim-card wifi router abuse that abundant?) of download data, so hence the clampdown because in big metropolitan areas it's hammering the infrastructure so people are just getting no/poor connections.

So o2 - if you buy an iphone on launch day - 24th or any day after that you'll have unlimited data until October 2010, then your 500/750/1000Mb limits kick in. This limit is not just for downloads but also for uploads (so emailing photos, VoIP, MSN and for some strange reason - MMS messages.) I thought I was fine as I was using 400Mb/month odd and paying £40/month. Then I took my uploads into account... damn :(

If you buy a tariff by 23:59 23/06/10 you wont be effected by the data limit coming in effect in October 2010. This includes simplicity tariffs. This does mean though that you have to buy an iPhone4 sim-free or PAYG (ouch)

If you have an iphone tariff now, which is rolling month-to-month and buy an iphone4 on contract that counts as a renewal post 23rd so you're hit by the October limit

Simplicity tariffs - say you get a 30-day notice one but 6 months down the line get a 12-month notice one to save £5/month, that counts as a renewal so you're hit by the October limit.

Orange have 750Mb/month fair usage. Vodafone have 1000Mb/month. All vary on what you get - unlimited texts etc, cheaper calls abroad and the handset price.

But at the end of the day if you want all-you-can-eat data you either have to pay £60+/month on any of the providers to get a subsidised phone, stick with your tariff and PAYG/sim-free, or buy a tariff prior to 24th June.

Oucho eh? Looked at the long term for me at the contracts, I'm going to buy an iphone4 sim-free then go on o2's 12 month simplicity tariff by the 23rd, with friends&family discount that means unlimited data, unlimited texts, 600 minutes for £14/month :) Only trouble is the £499-599 big hit I'm going to take on Thursday :(

So whos going down to their local o2 store on Thursday at 8am...?

8am?

Yep I'm a saddo :p I'm leaving my place at 6.30am with a friend to get to our nearest apple store.... 33 miles away at 7am odd :D We've both reserved one. Store opens at 8am.

Only gadget purchase for me for the year!

London Regent Street apple store has allegedly got 4000 reserved handsets. That queue may form and take a little while...

Wonder if anyone on here cashed in. Seen reserved sim-free handsets go for £750 on ebay when they're £499 new... :rolleyes:

I pre-ordered the company ones yesterday, going to switch to Orange as o2 are going a bit silly on the data plans.

See post 132 ;)

If you sign up to o2 you still just have your fair usage policy (which I've been using about 750mb a month since the release of the 2G) which is 500Mb/month. if you don't take the p1$$ I don't think they do. Yes after 23rd June if you sign up the tariffs are the least value for money of all the networks.

I wonder if in a year the networks will move to a higher charging data model, in fact I'd count on it once Vodafone + orange have increased smartphone customer base.

A lot of people have been looking at giffgaff.com for their networks, PAYG and a few of the goodiebags actually look reasonable. It piggybacks off o2 network but on a different frequency iirc.

Bit of inside Information for you guys.

Had a word with someone from 3 Head Office, they have said (which may be still unconfirmed) that so far 2 of their tariffs for the iPhone 4 are as follows;

Plan Name: Internet Texter 500

Mins: 500

Texts: Unlimited

3 to 3 calls: Unlimited

Internet: Unlimited (fair use policy of 2GB)

Phone Cost: £99

Tariff Length: 24 Months

Cost Per Month:£30-35

Plan Name: The One

Mins: 2000

Texts: 3000

3 to 3 calls: Unlimited

Internet: 1GB usage

Phone Cost: Free

Tariff Length: 24 Months

Cost Per Month: £40

I just did this, might help someone with a choice.

O2 - 18m - 300mins - unltd txts - 500mb - £279 - £35 - TCO=£630+£279=£909 Per Month =£50.50

O2 - 18m - 600mins - unltd txts - 500mb - £209 - £40 - TCO=£720+£209=£929 Per Month =£51.61

O2 - 18m - 900mins - unltd txts - 500mb - £179 - £45 - TCO=£810+£179=£989 Per Month =£54.94

Voda - 18m - 300mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £269 - £35 - TCO=£630+£269=£899 Per Month =£49.94

Voda - 18m - 600mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £219 - £40 - TCO=£720+£219=£939 Per Month =£52.16

Voda - 18m - 900mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £189 - £45 - TCO=£810+£189=£999 Per Month =£55.50

Voda - 24m - 300mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £269 - £30 - TCO=£720+£269=£989 Per Month =£41.21

Voda - 24m - 600mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £219 - £35 - TCO=£840+£219=£1059 Per Month =£44.13

Voda - 24m - 900mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £189 - £40 - TCO=£960+£189=£1149 Per Month =£47.875

Voda - 24m - 1200mins - unltd txts - 1000mb - £139 - £45 - TCO=£1080+£139=£1219 Per Month =£50.79

Orange - 18m - 300mins - 500 txts - 750mb - £319 - £35 - TCO=£630+£319=£949 Per Month =£52.72

Orange - 24m - 600mins - unltd txts - 750mb - £219 - £35 - TCO=£840+£219=£1059 Per Month =£44.13

Voda 24m deals are clearly the best IF you are happy with 6 extra months.

Carphone called me last night to say mine was en-route and will arrive tomorrow.

In the end after calling O2 and further understanding the deal they were offering I decided to stick with them rather than twist.

Black 32Gb - £209 for the phone, £35 a month, 3G 500mb, WiFi Unlimited, 600mins, Unlimited Txts.

Carphone called me last night to say mine was en-route and will arrive tomorrow.

In the end after calling O2 and further understanding the deal they were offering I decided to stick with them rather than twist.

Black 32Gb - £209 for the phone, £35 a month, 3G 500mb, WiFi Unlimited, 600mins, Unlimited Txts.

So what is your data usage? Roughly worked out what you upload/download a month?

Queuing up in the morning myself for mine, but switched to simplicity and getting 600 mins, unlimted texts, data for £14 month. Ok I do have to buy a sim-free handset though..