The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new song

SupraP-Z

Hey guys, i produce music as a hobby, put this up on youtube a while ago, just want to see what you think. This is just one of many (not up on youtube yet).

Its an RnB type jam, not finished yet... it probably wont be the type of music you guys mainly listen to, but do let me know what you think :)

Honest opinion:

It sounds too '80s r'n'b boy band to me, that said, it's not without potential, a lot today's chart songs are all about creating something different via blending 2 different styles together and the base tune is well put together but try putting a bit of electro in there or maybe(to be really different) try bringing in a slow trance esque style in there, try and bring the start in with that, mainly due to the start being a very casio keyboard style intro that sets a poor impression that starts to over shadow the rest of it.

This next few months is going to see a lot of what I'm talking about coming into play, just a few examples, allthough these are more bass orientated tracks, but you might get the picture:

The one below is a good example aswell, it's not actually a good mix but just demonstrates what I'm talking about try and listen to it from 30 seconds in and imagine just the just letting the piano begin the song and then slowly adding extra beats until it really mixes, unfortunately though the voice has been mixed poorly, it has sooooo much potential but has blatantly just mixed with each songs original beats and then failed to get the voice right, it needed less focus on the robert miles track.

I've just realised you have another track, I'll have a listen to that and give you my thoughts ;)

I've just listened to your other track, intro is good, a couple of tweaks needed though, the main beat is good, however it just seems to be stuck in limbo, it doesn't seem to want to go anywhere, it's crying out for maybe a drum beat(possibly with a big bass drop), try being imaginitive on something to put in there.

However, after following a few links to other videos, I came across this, it is almost perfect, I'm sure theres a few people that would be interested to hear his stuff.

It really needs some dark but bass freindly lyrics, something like the below:

An agressive past has left me with this mask, it internally rips,shreds, and mends anyone or anything who ever tried to pretend, or become apart of this life, which has left me drastically mashing, lashing, and stashing every feeling from this uncontrollable pain that has put my name to shame and the lyrics are drifting away, the eyes are too far hazed to realize what im trying to say, I may have just noticed im mentally insane, for now i'll keep spilling,killing, and thrilling off this game.(or something like that, there not perfect)

I use Cubase (or did), much more professional than Reason.

Your music is good, a few beats come in out of time and song has no structure but you did mention it is not finished.

Watch this kid. He started in his home, posted vids on youtube and got signed, MDL Productions.

Thanks for the reply guys, as i said not to everyones taste at all. To defend myself, i made that back in 2006 ish when all the new slowjam RnB's came out :p Since then as marc p has said the music has evolved, and so have I.

I dont just make RnB...i just had this particular one up on youtube, might show you a couple of other tunes ive made, more in tune to your taste. Btw ignore that other one on there Marc, that was nowhere near finished either, tried to make that more hip-hop sounding, was just a trial thing

Ive made lots of new songs since then, ranging from classical to fusions, trance, arabic, more slow stuff lol, latin, rock and the more popular electro stuff that you hear everywhere nowadays.

I used to use cubase when i first started producing...but i find reason so much more fulfilling. I mean dont get me wrong Cubase is a great overall package, but i prefer to work with reason :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, as i said not to everyones taste at all. In my defence, i made that back in 2006 ish when all the new slowjam RnB's came out :p Since then as marc p has said the music has evolved, and so have I.

I dont just make RnB...i just had this particular one up on youtube, might show you a couple of other tunes ive made, more in tune to your taste. Btw ignore that other one on there Marc, that was nowhere near finished either, tried to make that more hip-hop sounding, was just a trial thing

Ive made lots of new songs since then, ranging from classical to fusions, trance, arabic, more slow stuff lol, latin, rock and the more popular electro stuff that you hear everywhere nowadays.

Another thing, A LOT of people in the mainstream just use samples (Timbaland, Kanye West - prime examples) the first two links you gave...they are just total ripoffs of classical pieces.

Tbh, this is my opinion but its so easy to pick out a melody or a voice or something someone has already done and then just add a beat to it, tweak it a bit and make it sound good. Making everything from scratch is the tricky thing...i dont sample other peoples creations.

I use Cubase (or did), much more professional than Reason.

Your music is good, a few beats come in out of time and song has no structure but you did mention it is not finished.

Watch this kid. He started in his home, posted vids on youtube and got signed, MDL Productions.

I used to use cubase when i first started producing...back then the vst's were absolute sh*ite, im sure its completely changed by now...but i find reason so much more fulfilling. I mean dont get me wrong Cubase is a great overall package, but i prefer to work with reason :)

the first two links you gave...they are just total ripoffs of classical pieces.

First one is 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

Second one is Pachelbel's Canon in D.

I demand a prize for answering a question no one was asking.

i dont sample other peoples creations

More power to you, then. And stop apologising.

Another thing, A LOT of people in the mainstream just use samples (Timbaland, Kanye West - prime examples) the first two links you gave...they are just total ripoffs of classical pieces.

Tbh, this is my opinion but its so easy to pick out a melody or a voice or something someone has already done and then just add a beat to it, tweak it a bit and make it sound good. Making everything from scratch is the tricky thing...i dont sample other peoples creations.

That they might do, but it sells, however, listen more carefully and the second one loses it's classical undertune after 20 seconds and the first one loses it's focus of it after about 45 seconds, after seeing a couple of people around me get a lot of profit and fun out of the music industry, I have picked up a few things a long the way and starting to be able to get a bigger understanding of the difference between something thats good and something that sells and for anyone who wants to start in this industry has to start with a style either just before or just as it becomes popular(obviously theres a few exceptions), a few good examples are David Guetta, Lady Gaga, Feeder, *cough* Rihanna *cough*, 50 Cent, have a listen to there first major releases and they are all bang on time of when there style of music was becoming the most popular and/or fresh and unique.

I understand that making tracks from scratch is much harder, but what I originally said was to try electro/classical esque style, I didn't say to use pre-released pieces.

Just experiment to hell and eventually you will come up with something that will make you sit back and think 'hell yeah'

First one is 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite.

Used condom or a sticky nude photo?

Take your pick:)

More power to you, then. And stop apologising.

Ah, someone who knows his symphonies! I can give you a cookie if you like, and sorry for apologising :p

after seeing a couple of people around me get a lot of profit and fun out of the music industry, I have picked up a few things a long the way and starting to be able to get a bigger understanding of the difference between something thats good and something that sells and for anyone who wants to start in this industry has to start with a style either just before or just as it becomes popular(obviously theres a few exceptions), a few good examples are David Guetta, Lady Gaga, Feeder, *cough* Rihanna *cough*, 50 Cent, have a listen to there first major releases and they are all bang on time of when there style of music was becoming the most popular and/or fresh and unique.

You have an extremely valid point, and thats the line that a lot of people (including me) still need to cross. Its all about keeping up with the trend, but i also like to stray...quite a lot. Every producer has one/few genres that he/she is most comfortable with - and will excel at making those types of beats.

As you say maybe one day, ill just hit that spot and find that niche, but for the time being i just produce for my own enjoyment and relaxation. Do you produce yourself?