The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car for 20k?

pistonbroke

The C6 vette is band M (£435) as it was sold through dealers over here.

Only if it's a UK/Euro spec car.

If it's imported from the US, it'll still be PLG or the latest equivalent. A number of friends of mine in the Corvette Owners club have brought theirs in during the last year. Latest one, 2008 LS3 with 3,000 miles. Pays about £200/year or thereabouts.

My C6 is a UK spec, but fortunately it's pre-23rd March 2006 so it only costs me about £220 a year. At that time it's an LS2 though - if you must have the LS3 and don't want to pay the higher road tax, go for a US import - cheaper to tax than mine!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, why are you using 2001 as a yard stick? You can pick up a 2003 911 TT and the tax is £235.00.

H.

It would seem I've had a bit of a brain fart. 18 months ago I sold my 2002 WRX STI scooby, and a years yax for it was £450. They must have changed the rules or something since then without me noticing as I was dead certain that cars after march 2001 were part of the scheme that I wanted to stay out of.

Only if it's a UK/Euro spec car.

If it's imported from the US, it'll still be PLG or the latest equivalent. A number of friends of mine in the Corvette Owners club have brought theirs in during the last year. Latest one, 2008 LS3 with 3,000 miles. Pays about £200/year or thereabouts.

My C6 is a UK spec, but fortunately it's pre-23rd March 2006 so it only costs me about £220 a year. At that time it's an LS2 though - if you must have the LS3 and don't want to pay the higher road tax, go for a US import - cheaper to tax than mine!

Cheers mate, having looked at the gumf on the DVLA website, I thought if they had records of the cars C02 emmissions then you were in play for their tax banding, the only way not to be in it would be to import a car that they have no knowledge of.

If you're sure that the US import Vette is excempt, then thats that. Expect to see me in a Vette in the next few years :D

The reason for the LS3 is that it has that little bit extra. I want it to feel like my BPU supe, if not slightly better (no lag).

It would seem I've had a bit of a brain fart. 18 months ago I sold my 2002 WRX STI scooby, and a years yax for it was £450. They must have changed the rules or something since then without me noticing as I was dead certain that cars after march 2001 were part of the scheme that I wanted to stay out of.

LOL @ Brain fart......:D

This means that you have a few more options eh?

H.

You won't get a turbo for your budget, but any 993 Porsche 911 coupe is class, and will retain it's value (or possibly appreciate) probably the best car of all time for me.

The only other exotic car that might tempt me would be anAston DB7.

Chiefgroovers Supra would make a great purchase though.

996 turbos can be had for just over 20k now. So in a couple of years they might be down to 20k.

Though now I've been told that import Vettes don't come under the c02 banding tax system, I'll be happy poodling around in a ridiculous 6.2ltr v8 muscle car. I love the corvette, always have. I don't mind that it's a left hooker, ask tooquicktostop, he's had a few. It would bother me if there were RHD versions around, but as they only do them in LHD, I'll be happy with that.

I don't mind that it's a left hooker, ask tooquicktostop, he's had a few. It would bother me if there were RHD versions around, but as they only do them in LHD, I'll be happy with that.

Yeh but people (more specifically, the ladies) will be looking in the wrong seat for the driver.

I love it when girls are checking me out at the lights :D

I'm the first to admit I'm no oil painting. I think Fall Out Boy put it best "Girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money". Plus, If a nice young lady is on the pavement to your left, you're closer in the vette :D

Yup - makes no difference in a nice car does it :D. I've had kisses blown to me many times no BS!!