The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stubby Aerial ( S2000 Type )

supra steveo

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to install mine today but the antenna base came apart, so i've glued that up and will finish the job tomorrow. It's worth noting the top shiny bit that you have to remove comes away by unscrewing rather than levering in case anyone else decided to try it that way :D

Fitting mine today and my antena base broke too :(

Only two self tapping screws with flimsy fixings into the plastic, the minute you go to tighten the top and put any reasonable stress on it the screws pull out and the whole thing falls apart!

I'm going to have another go in the morning and try and glue it together although there isn't much for it to glue to, only a thin plastic rim to the case.

I really think that this all needs re-thinking, I'm an engineer so no doubt I can lash something up out of the bits but it's not the quick install I expected for £50.

The Amp base isn't designed to take the stress of holding the stubby and the stainless adaptor, at the end of the day, when fitted, the aerial is only held on and in place by two small self tappers into weak plastic :blink:

Not having a go, I appreciate the effort you put in but i think the design is flawed and needs looking at ;)

good stuff give it a good seeing to with no more nails i needed to do that to mine

Sorry mate but I must have missed that bit in the instructions thread :(

So you knew that was a weak point ????? How long are these going to last when the car is in use, vibrations etc. ?

Not having a go

erm ok well looks like your not happy to me, if your really not that happy just send it back to me and i will refund you your money, the other members seem happy with their kits

Sorry mate but I must have missed that bit in the instructions thread :(

So you knew that was a weak point ????? How long are these going to last when the car is in use, vibrations etc. ?

to be honest this never really crossed my mind until it was mentioned by the member above , and the reason it fell apart was because it was in the hands of my 5 year old son who wanted to help , but like i say if your not happy , send it back the market is about to be flooded with cheap OEM electric antenna masts

Joker, I'm highlighting a flaw in the antenna base and point out that the only thing holding the heavy stainless part and the mast in are two small screws into weak plastic, I used reasonable pressure to tighten the mast up and the stress caused the base part to break. Don't know what the 5yr old kid helping has got to do with it, are you implying it's my heavy handed approach despite you having had the same problem?