The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance be careful

nevins

Sorry, long post...

I've heard a lot of issues with Elephant so spent quite some time around 8 months ago on the phone to them after several people complained of inaccuracies/inconsistencies in their policies.

After 6 calls over a period of one week every person I spoke to said they could not insure an SZ as it was not on their system (having said that, all initially said they could, but after making deeper checks with them the specs on the system were wrong, e.g. SZ was made between 1988 and 1993, which is clearly a MKIII).

After the 6th call, I had a call from a customer services manger in the UK who was extremely helpful and really seemed to know what he was talking about (especially after I said I was calling on behalf of the UK Supra owners club).

He explained that the system they use is dynamic and constantly updated, some of these updates contain corrections to older listings and will explain some of the difference people have experienced with Elephants policies over the past few years.

He also confirmed they will never insure an NA that has been converted to a TT as their policy will never support a car where the engine model is different to the original spec (2JZ GE vs 2JZ GTE). So, no NA-TT should be covered by them, he was very specific about this.

He accepted that their system did not contain the correct listings for the supra at that time. However, if members have been supplied an insurance document that contains the correct information about their car (e.g. engine size, model etc), they are legally obliged to honour that policy. Quite how it's possible that cars not in their system get a policy he couldn't explain.

So, in summary, if your insurance document is correct for the car and you've clearly explained any modification and it's listed in their "modifications" sheet, you will be covered. If a modification is not specifically stated, the car has potential to not be covered comprehensively.

when you shop online,

say example with confused you get your premium at 1000 lets say.

when you get to admirals site, check the engine size, as they have it as an 1800cc supra!! ???

then when you amend the engine size/model on admirals site to 3000cc the premium will increase dramatically

as long as you have selected the model type, e.g. RZ, the engine size is correct, and all the other info is correct,

you should be fine, if you ahve it in writing on your documents im sure you could take them to court if any issues did arise

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

Good work Darryl :thumbs:

+1

It was quite interesting because definitely had to explain I had an SZ over an RZ or an RZ-F1 (no idea)... and an SZ-R.

Wonder what their policy is now. I haven't been insured with elephant for over 4 years now

Its a royal pain in the arse. When the kid on the end of the phone told me that they didn't make a 3l mkiv or a turbo, I asked for the supervisor only to be told where to go and then he added, my names Karl and im in cardiff not far away from you if you have a problem come see me.

Im in two minds whether or not to go scare the living daylights out of him.

friggin do it, i dare u ................... no , i triple dare you , need picture evidence too or it never happened :D