The mkiv Supra Owners Club

learning to Surf

dane_stone

Hi everyone

I was hoping some one could help me i'm looking to start learning to surf. I've been wanting to learn for a long time now but started snowboarding so never got round to it. I live in Cheshire does anyone know the nearest place to me? would it be the south/s west coast? or anyone know any good sites?

Cheers Dean

best places are in north devon, woolacoombe, Saunton sands, Bude etc.

They do have surf schools with boards they loan out

great fun.

although not stictly required, a wetsuit does help with the amount of time in the water (but wear a 'rash vest')

Best place near to you would be Hells Mouth, near Abersoch in North Wales. It is reasonably consistent and Abersoch is a nice place to stay.

West Coast Surf shop (www.westcoastsurf.co.uk) do lessons and equipment hire.

North Devon/Cornwall is more reliable, but the waves at Hells Mouth are perfect for beginners and you don't get the crowds there.

Good luck, it is a great sport if you stick with it.

As a child I went surfing in Bude and the surrounding beaches and it was very nice.

My brother goes surfing in Newquay and has found a package deal including tuition, hotel, board hire etc if you want me to track it down.

I also saw a web site the other day doing surf tuition in Portugal which probably has some great waves and the water isnt so cold that your knob turns in to a button mushroom.

Cheers for the advise all west coast surf seems the best place for me. Going to give them a ring and see when I can book a lesson. Really can't wait to catch my first wave. Fell in love with snowboarding straight away and can see me loving surfing.

I have a friend that has a surf school in Portugal hit us up if you ever interested in coming to over, its a great place to learn..!

Over your way I would try Bude..! There are some stunning beaches..!

This time of the year is perfect to learn! It's also a good idea to have some lessons to get you fired up.

You have to be patient, it's very difficult to get the basics but once you do it's the most rewarding sport..! Though I've not had the chance to compare to driving a single turbo yet...! lol....

Our usual spot is Croyde bay. Perfect location, 5 mins drive to Saunton and 5 minutes to Puttsborough. Have to be really unlucky not to get any decent waves at all three beaches.

We found the problem with Bude is the extra hour or so drive makes it just that little bit too far.

Will be going down in a few weeks for a long weekend. Can't wait! :)