The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Legal Advice (Work)

SimonG

Can anyone help me with some advice please,

i work for a haulage firm that operates a system

on payroll called steer which is a payment (tax-free)

for food costs .They tell you to complete a form for food costs

for the week.

Now other firms use this and no one else has to fill out the weekly

form.they are saying that if we dont fill out the weekly form,

"We will be in danger of losing the allowance "

It is basically a way for the firm to pay less tax,so can they stop the payment for those that dont fill out the form any help

or guidance would be much appreciated.

I would imagine it's completely up to the company how they keep track of the costs, the same as I have to fill out a form with receipts for mileage. Unless it's a government backed and funded scheme I doubt there's anything you can do.

Why are you so against filling out the form?

Thing is its a set amount no matter what actual cost is above or below the Ten pound a day limit,i believe that all of this is a way to cut the amount .Last year they cut are pay by 1pound 20 a hour and brought this in cost me about 60pound a month reduction .Rumour is we're in line for another pay cut this year .What i find suspect is the bosses have a profit based bonus scheme.

That sounds pretty standard to me TBH. We're allowed £12 a day when out on company business for things like newspapers and refreshments, but we have to have a receipt and can only claim UP TO £12 for whatever we use.

I'd say your company are cutting back due to hard times and being stricter on how they do things. Not much you can do about it I don't think but be thankful you still have a job and they're not putting you onto 3 day weeks or something instead!!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/briefs/income-tax/brief2409.htm

It is better than you having to pay for it so just fill it in.

If you are paying for a £10 meal, it actually costs you £14.49 gross as it comes out of your taxed earnings.

Your company is doing you a favour, and believe me when I say your company is not actually benefiting from implementing this scheme. It is actually in your best interests. Just fill in the form and count your lucky stars.

Thanks for the link very helpful .As i said before they cut our wage to fund this and we came out 60pound shy a month so we are paying for it already if you see what i mean .At the end of the day it will be a case of do it or shut the door on your way out.But many thanks to all for the help.