The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket Camber Adjustor

Fitz

Right not too sure if this belongs in Tech, but I feel it is more suited here than in Chat.

Whilst at Wheels-In-Motion, Scottc998 had won a free Geo-Setup courtesy of Tony and the team and he generously gave it to me :D. Whilst they looked they had said "the rear of the car is a mess" (I have the printout if anyone needs a visual reference).

IIRC, Tony said that the rear passenger side looks like it had a bit of damage and that the camber had been 'maxed out'. Apparently, the wheel was now upright when it should be slightly angled (toe-in or toe-out or something :blink:)

Tony said as there was so many components which connected to the hub it was hard to say which component could have caused this. He then advised me to search and purchase an "Aftermarket Camber Adjustor" nothing fancy just something that would do the job. I did take a look for one online but the search doesn't turn up much except people asking about camber.

Does anybody know where/what I am looking? (and don't just say 'a camber adjustor' ;)

Cheers :)

Sorry dude not heard it myself, I had a look on the tinternet & most explained about camber adjustments.

Had a look on eBay and this is what I came up with, though most seem to be for civic's.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=Camber+Adjuster&_sacat=0&_odkw=Aftermarket+Camber+Adjuster&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Might be worth sending a PM to Tony to see if he can point you in the right direction.

Edit:

Think this might be what you are looking for?

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7840.html

Found some on eBay but they all seem to be USA based?

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=Camber+Adjuster+tool&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=Camber+Adjuster&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313

Edited by Abz
Found something (see edit history)

Hmm, sounds like a bit of a bodge fix for a potentially serious underlying issue. I'd not be too keen on masking it with a adjusting arm that extends excessivly further than what Toyota decided was the max. I'd be looking into whats possibly bent and have it rectified, it may be more expensive, but it's piece of mind at the end of the day.

Right not too sure if this belongs in Tech, but I feel it is more suited here than in Chat.

Whilst at Wheels-In-Motion, Scottc998 had won a free Geo-Setup courtesy of Tony and the team and he generously gave it to me :D. Whilst they looked they had said "the rear of the car is a mess" (I have the printout if anyone needs a visual reference).

IIRC, Tony said that the rear passenger side looks like it had a bit of damage and that the camber had been 'maxed out'. Apparently, the wheel was now upright when it should be slightly angled (toe-in or toe-out or something :blink:)

Tony said as there was so many components which connected to the hub it was hard to say which component could have caused this. He then advised me to search and purchase an "Aftermarket Camber Adjustor" nothing fancy just something that would do the job. I did take a look for one online but the search doesn't turn up much except people asking about camber.

Does anybody know where/what I am looking? (and don't just say 'a camber adjustor' ;)

Cheers :)

Wouldn't hurt to see the print out. May help if you could get a few pics of the offending area as well just to see if anything is obviously bent.

I'd be looking into whats possibly bent and have it rectified, it may be more expensive, but it's piece of mind at the end of the day.

There didn't look like anything was bent or obviously bent, Tony and his colleague did have a look around and said that they could not see anything obviously wrong. But as you say would be ideal to source the problem.

Wouldn't hurt to see the print out. May help if you could get a few pics of the offending area as well just to see if anything is obviously bent.

I'll get the printout up later, it may make more sense to you than me :blink:

It could be a bent upper or lower wishbone or the places where these bolt to on the chassis, or even a bent hub.

As said above i'd be having a close look and replace parts rather than add something like this.

It could be a bent upper or lower wishbone or the places where these bolt to on the chassis, or even a bent hub.

As said above i'd be having a close look and replace parts rather than add something like this.

Could be a likely one as the rear is slim metal around the toe arm for sure. It would deform if someone tried beating the sh!t out of it to free a bolt (which if seized would never come out anyway).

I would get a second hand upright, with hub assembly, top wishbone and bottom wishbone and slap them on the offending side. If something is bent it means it's had a good hard thwack. It's usually the bottom wishbone that bends. There's no easy way of gaining more camber than the stock snails allow.

They didn't want to throw it out of proportion IIRC, they felt it best to 'match' so to speak the 'damaged' side.

Definetly a wise move keeping both sides the same.

I'd get a complete hub etc off Keron but my monies on it being a bent lower arm.