The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JM-Imports 850BHP Jun 4.0 Stroker R35 GTR Project + Greddy TD06-20G Twin Turbos

Jurgen-Jm-Imports

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have they designed a complete new block or is the newer one just modded in a different way? have you had a look down the bores?
yes they have the block done in a different way with different sleeving and bore style.

i have looked into head through chambers and there is water there..(this never happen on my last engine failure) maybe the design was weak and its craked inside then out,.

i will take the plugs out this week and also check.

but the complete engine is going back intact minus turbos and aux equip.

am hoping to have it collectected thursday/friday

So its just machined in a different way? not an all new block.
yes all blocks are the same, just all have different machining or strenght techniques.

AMS apparently have now figured it out so have SPE (they also broke that car on the vid you posted)..

and JUN dont sell my old stlye block.

so am hoping this is a good sign,.

thay my block is no longer for sale.

From the looks of it the differences seem very minimal? Unless ive not spotted something, the only difference i can see there is the design of the coolant pathways and nomore wet sleeves?
there is quite a lot of difference..

if you look my old block has been machined away for sleeve and then machined again for coolant path with some rings fitted in so a lot more material has been removed...

the new block has just one sleeve.

So they have gone from a semi open deck block to a closed deck block. It's hard to tell from the photo how they have achieved this *UNLESS* Nissan have tow types of block castings. One of the top Alfa Romeo tuners used to take open deck alloy blocks for F3 and mill out the whole top face and drop in a steel insert that also held all the liners, a bit like OS Giken do with RB26 Skyline blocks to take them out to 3 liters without having a silly long stroke. It doesn't appear this is how they have done this though. I love stuff like this, any more info on these issues?

Good luck with it, I hope you get lucky and they offer some sort of deal or replacement.

So they have gone from a semi open deck block to a closed deck block. It's hard to tell from the photo how they have achieved this *UNLESS* Nissan have tow types of block castings. One of the top Alfa Romeo tuners used to take open deck alloy blocks for F3 and mill out the whole top face and drop in a steel insert that also held all the liners, a bit like OS Giken do with RB26 Skyline blocks to take them out to 3 liters without having a silly long stroke. It doesn't appear this is how they have done this though. I love stuff like this, any more info on these issues?

Good luck with it, I hope you get lucky and they offer some sort of deal or replacement.

there is some blogs about SPE blocks somewre

here is an AMS write up

Disheartened but never defeated, we headed back to the shop to work on improvements.

So, what have we learned so far?

So far, we can tell you that just installing a better head gasket won’t solve the issue, Presently, it seems that a reliable limit of the VR38DETT (with upgraded pistons and rods) is around1000 whp and 900 ft-lbs torque on a Mustang Dyno, and just about 1100 whp and 1000 ft-lbs torque on a Dynojet. We’ve definitely made more power and torque than that before but in our opinion, it’s going to be a little risky until the internal engine issues are addressed.

Which is what we’re doing right now, addressing the issues.

You might be asking yourself, “why the full disclosure?” AMS values the GT-R community and greatly respects its opinion. Unlike others, the GT-R community is a close-knit family and we want you to be “in the know” on what we’re doing.

We are pushing the GT-R to unseen limits. As you witness us reach these limits, we want to keep you informed on the type of research and engineering that we’re putting into resolving these issues. And, thanks to customers and friends like Tim Sanders we can push the envelope and bring a better and more powerful product to the GT-R community.

You might also be asking, “why are you having problems at this HP when others are not?” Historically, our Mustang Dyno has read incredibly low. When we went 163mph at the drag strip, our dyno was only recording between 980 and 1000whp. Others have claimed 100+whp yet their Trap speeds have been in the mid-150s.

Obviously there is a major difference in the way our dyno reads compared to others. It’s not that one dyno is right or wrong, they just read differently.

And, as we all know, the absence of information about a problem doesn’t necessarily mean a problem doesn’t exist. We’re just being upfront with what’s going on so that you are fully informed.

So, it’s back to work for us. You can rest assured that we are going to work harder than ever to continue pushing the limits of the VR38 and to use this information to produce the best possible parts for your GT-R.

Stay tuned for more!

Eric

--------------------

Eric Gaudi

Sales Manager

[email protected]

http://www.amsperformance.com

847-709-0530

the good news..

As many of you know we have been working the VR38 motor program with the recent issues of the Nissan block cracking under extreme HP / Cylinder pressures . Our engineers and technicians have been hard at work and developed a new way to reinforce the block. We wanted to test this new theory and really put the car through its paces. The only way we know how to do that is to abuse it on the dyno and the track!

Last night we strapped the revised ALPHA 12 package to the dyno. The test vehicle was our own 2009 Nissan GT-R. Chris began tuning and the numbers just kept getting higher and higher. The final result was a Whopping 1318WHP at only 35 psi of boost in VERY hot Dyno room!

The dyno only tells so much though. We wanted to really put the package to the test so we loaded her up in the trailer and took her to the track where Ivan was instructed to put the HP to the test. Over the next 4 hours Ivan put down no less than 10 LOW 9 second passes all above the 160 mph mark. On every pass he reported traction was horrible. Still Ivan hot lapped her one pass after the other... over and over... 9.0, 9.0,9.1,9.0.. You get the idea

The ALPHA 12 was making so much power it would not get 100% traction until 5th gear!!! To make matters worse the weather was horrible... High humidity and a heat index north of 90 degrees created a hot and greasy track. Even with these condition the ALPHA 12 was able to reset the worlds fastest and quickest GT-R with a best time of [email protected]!

If that wasn't enough we checked the V-box time on that record pass and we improved our 60-130 time to 3.46 Seconds!!!!!!

All in all it was a great day. The ALPHA 12 was put through a 12 round prize fight and came out still swinging!

Below is the dyno chart from last nights session. Peak boost was 35 psi as it was run today. The car can run more boost but with traction being an issue we never had a chance to raise it.

I have also attached the time slip from the best pass at the track.

We are hoping to get her back to the track very soon once we can get some more favorable weather conditions. I will keep everyone posted!

Eric

SPE

SP Engineering and Greddy USA has been testing and pushing the limits on the VR38DETT platform since it's debut. Using our very own GTR, our road to a full weight street driven 8 seconds has been a challenge.

Testing various motor combinations we have achieved an estimated 1200+ AWHP and 1050+ TQ. There is definitely more power our GODZILLA package can produce, but we may have found a few limitations to the V6 aluminum block which we are currently looking into.

We rented a private track for test and tune at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on May 7, 2011 and brought out 2 GTR's (Greddy/SPE). A total of 4 consecutive runs were done and have managed to achieve 9.2, 9.3, and 9.4 QTR mile times with trap speeds of 160 MPH. Our VBOX has managed to log 60-130 MPH times of 3.6 - 3.9.

Do you know in wgat way your block has failed Jurgen? Split liner, head gasket failure due to head lift, longitudinal split due to jacking between crank journals and head face physically spliitting the block casting internally or / and externally? Total catastrophic failure with internals becoming externals? ;)

Any detailed photos of failures in other blocks?

Rich mans game pushing these cars to such high bhp, if it was me, i would keep the power low on the new engine for a while (or at least until you have raced me;) ) let others be the test mules mate, thats the trouble with such a new car, not enough development yet in the tuning scene.

Can i ask what the engine cost, i understand if you dont want to say.

Must be so stressful for you all this, Thats the great thing with the 2jz, if my engine let go i honestly could not give a toss as long as i didnt miss any of the big meets, id hate to drive a car and have to worry about it letting go, i want to drive it flat out without a care.

Do you know in wgat way your block has failed Jurgen? Split liner, head gasket failure due to head lift, longitudinal split due to jacking between crank journals and head face physically spliitting the block casting internally or / and externally? Total catastrophic failure with internals becoming externals? ;)

Any detailed photos of failures in other blocks?

there is no holes in my block..

few hair line cracks and oil sweeping through it

water in the heads (unlike my other engine failure) possibly from damage internally or from liners splitting.

thats all i know and wont know more till JUN get engine back

Rich mans game pushing these cars to such high bhp, if it was me, i would keep the power low on the new engine for a while (or at least until you have raced me;) ) let others be the test mules mate, thats the trouble with such a new car, not enough development yet in the tuning scene.

Can i ask what the engine cost, i understand if you dont want to say.

Must be so stressful for you all this, Thats the great thing with the 2jz, if my engine let go i honestly could not give a toss as long as i didnt miss any of the big meets, id hate to drive a car and have to worry about it letting go, i want to drive it flat out without a care.

JUN engine costs retail £30k.. a got a good sponsorship deal thats all i can say.

yes keep power low still good for the 9s..