The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone here fly microlights?

SteveR

Didn't take many seconds from engine cutting out to being on the ground, though.

I can't find the original of that, but the chap broke limbs, ribs and punctured a lung in that crash.

He wasn't very high though was he. I wonder what the thingy-doobry angle is - the how many units forward do you go for each unit you drop.

I don't doubt crashes hurt/maim/kill (tell me a vehicle where you won't get hurt in a crash!), but the key question is, how common are they? If everything was 100% safe, the world would be boring. I don't mind taking part in hazardous activities, so long as all the risks of those hazards being an issue have been reduced as much as is feasible and I know what I'm getting into.

I'm considering giving microlights ago too ,maybe next year if i can persuade my mate to join me and find the cash.

I guess it can be dangerous, but so can driving a Supra.

Been to a few gatherings at a local club and been offered a free tandem flight but never actually been in a position to say 'yes'. Looks awesome fun though :)

I've never flown one before, but been a passenger many times as two of my old work colleagues had microlights, Flex wing and fixed wing.

If its something your considering I would highly recommend it.

If you like all the beauty of flying you'll love it. The difference is you can actually feel the temperature changes as you fly around and into clouds etc..

The view is spectacular with no small windows to spoil your view.

We actually did a few days 'expedition' flying from Suffolk to Lincolnshire then up to York, (flying around the Humber bridge on the way) then from York over the Pennines landing on Blackpool beach! Down to Liverpool over to the Isle of man and then back to Nolfolk.

It is something I'll never forget.

Never tried microlights, but I can thorougly recommend gliding if you haven't tried it - a real challenge compared to powered flying - learning about glide angles, cloud formations, thermals and updrafts and applying that knowledge to keep you in the air creates a real sense of accomplishment on top of the thrill of actually flying.

A real sense of camaradarie in the air too - when there's a few of you circling together in the same thermal.

We actually did a few days 'expedition' flying from Suffolk to Lincolnshire then up to York, (flying around the Humber bridge on the way) then from York over the Pennines landing on Blackpool beach! Down to Liverpool over to the Isle of man and then back to Nolfolk.

It is something I'll never forget.

That sounds fantastic! Was that in the fixed wing or the weight-shifter?

Never tried microlights, but I can thorougly recommend gliding if you haven't tried it - a real challenge compared to powered flying - learning about glide angles, cloud formations, thermals and updrafts and applying that knowledge to keep you in the air creates a real sense of accomplishment on top of the thrill of actually flying.

I don't think I have the patience for gliding, it all looks a bit (lot!) cumbersome and OTT - just strap an engine on and be done! ;) I know it's not as elegant, but it's got to be easier and more flexible in terms of options of when, where and how lng you can fly and where you can take off from?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to train and build up the skill and ability to fly a glider well, but gliding just doesn't hold as much appeal as having my own mini go [almost] anywhere aeroplane.

That was in the flex wing.

In my opinion you feel much safer in the fixed wing but you might aswell be in a light aircraft.

The sensation of being open to the elements and essentially sitting on a chair under a kite is a whole different experience!

You'll either love it or S!*t yourself. :D

You'll either love it or S!*t yourself. :D

The problem is, I think I'd be the former and the missis (who is probably lurking and reading this) would be the latter.

Never mind, I'll just take our 6 year old up into the skies with me. He'd love it I reckon. He could lob water bombs to pass the time. ;)

(waits to hear "no you bl**dy won't!!" from the direction of her office in town.)

He wasn't very high though was he. I wonder what the thingy-doobry angle is - the how many units forward do you go for each unit you drop.

I don't doubt crashes hurt/maim/kill (tell me a vehicle where you won't get hurt in a crash!), but the key question is, how common are they? If everything was 100% safe, the world would be boring. I don't mind taking part in hazardous activities, so long as all the risks of those hazards being an issue have been reduced as much as is feasible and I know what I'm getting into.

No - he wasn't very high - but then he didn't have much of a choice in the matter as he was where he was when his engine conked out.

Don't get me wrong - I love flying and would live to fly microlights or light aircraft - it's always been an ambition of mine. However, since speaking to a mate's brother who works for the Air Accident Investigation Branch, I think I'd be far more likely to go for light aircraft. The worst record by aircraft type is paragliders. Microlights actually aren't that far behind!

The problem when comparing cars with something like this is you need to consider the peril - not just the risk. The risk in this case was the engine cutting out. Now, in a car, you can coast to the side of the road, so the peril (being stranded by the roadside) really isn't that bad, so we accept the fixed amount of risk without a thought. In a microlight, the risk of engine failure might be no worse, but the peril is that you'll fall out of the sky (which can hurt quite badly, I'm lead to believe), so it's needs to be given a little extra thought, that's all.

The peril as you call it, is the direct exposure to 1 or more of the hazards involved, because a risk occured.

The hazard in this case being height, the risk was engine failure. I'm happy that I could take it all into consideration and make an informed decision before I took it up as a hobby. I appreciate the concern, but I'm not going to jump into doing something I don't fully understand. :)

I used to teach scuba diving, I'm sure that involves at least as many if not a lot more hazards, but most people don't realise it and think it's "safe". It can be relatively safe, if you know what you are doing and know what to do when things go wrong, but it will never be truely safe as you can never control every aspect - point in case, I;d done over 500 dives at the point it paralysed me. Thanks to a miracle (well, science can't explain it), I recovered, but I was told I'd never walk again.

I'd still get back in the water if I were allowed, loved scuba diving. I like moving about in 3D, and I think flight is the only way to get that feeling again. :)