The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo timers

Mark D

Originally posted by dudersvr

as i understand it a turbo timer is used to supply oil to the turbo that spins at some vast rpm (100,000) so that its not spinning in dry bearings .

John:stupid:

Turbo timers according to GReddy:

This is a MUST for any and all turbocharged cars, stock of modified. This unit prevents turbo damage from heat and oil.

It keeps the engine idling after the ignition key is removed. This prevents hot oil from clogging up the oil lines of the turbo. Turbos need time to let oil pass through its lines to cool down. Failure to do so results in burning oil eventually leaving burnt deposits along the inside of the oil lines. This will eventually cause the oil to clog and damage the turbo.

"as i understand it a turbo timer is used to supply oil to the turbo that spins at some vast rpm (100,000) so that its not spinning in dry bearings ."

No it keeps the engine running at idle so the heat in the turbochargers is disapated (both to the oil and to the air). If you stop the engine with hot turbochargers, the oil is not flowing and so overheats and burns. There is no difference between usng a turbo timer and just letting the engine idle. The turbo timer just sorts it all out for you.

It must be the cheapest mod you can do to a Supra.

John

your prob. right on that but i suppose the ins. company have to prove it was running , pretty hard if youve got the keys and i cant see any court in the land convicting people for leaving a car running with the steering lock on / locked / alarmed and if its a jap auto unable to select a gear, could it be that due to it being technically illegal thats why t.timers are not a factory option .

John:stupid:

i've had the Turbo timer open circuited through my clifford 300 alarm. I have also had the intellistart start fitted. Very cool.

Basically if the illegal thing applies to the turbo timer, its going to apply to the intellistart as well which seems made.

I can start my car remotely and have it warmed up while still remaining locked and all the promximity sensors activated. the turbo timer then works the same way, hit the button, get out of the car and alarm as usual. The car is alarmed and all sensors activated. after 45 second the engine turns off and immobilises. Once the turbo timer has been set you can still rev the engine should you want? ( why I don't know, but you can) and then it just switches off.

With the intellistart one you open the car you must put the key in and press the brake pedal. If you do not do this the car stops and immobilises again staright away. IMHO I think these 2 alarm add on's are brilliant and well worth getting for anyone who doesn't want to sit on the drive every morning and evening, waiting for the engine to warm up and the turbo's to spool down and temperature decrease.

I can recommend an alrm fitter in the bucks area who was excellent and put right all the problems that the dim wits at GAP alarms caused.

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by John Packham

Incidentally the Blitz FATT DCII shuts the engine down as soon as you release the handbrake.

I think most of them do this, it's a security feature. i.e. if somebody decides to try and steal your car because they see it running then as soon as they release the handbrake the car cuts out.

• 7 months later...
I think most of them do this, it's a security feature. i.e. if somebody decides to try and steal your car because they see it running then as soon as they release the handbrake the car cuts out.

Only if it's connected. If you connect this wire to earth, then it by passes the need for it, well it does on my new FATT. Brilliant little mod for when you park to far away from the petrol pumps. Also the blitz ones come with little add ons. One of them gives you 0-60 times and the like, and the other one has a built in boost gauge.

The fact that someone could get in my car and drive it away is irrelevant, due to the fact that the turbo timer would cut the power after 20 seconds (standard setting) of driving down the road, making it similar to the black-jax system. This of course would also be occurring whilst the alarm was deafening everybody in a 1/2 mile radius.

Ben..

Why do you see it as a problem for people to actually use the SEARCH button to find information that they may require, and if they feel necessary add to it??

I would of thought that you out of everybody would understand the need to ensure that all old posts contain all the information that people may need in order to determine what exactly is needed/possible, if not a new thread would be created. If a new thread was to be created, then we all know what would happen, a certain individual would start the replies with "Is the SEARCH button broken again?" - I'd love to see the total number of posts you have made that actually consisted completely of that sentence and that sentence only, I'd expect it to be a large percentage (and not because it is in your signature).

The fact that a lot of people reading this thread may then take most of their dashes out looking for the handbrake switch and feeding the wire through, just because this threads says that it needs to be attached is stupid.

In 2 weeks time this thread will be lost again, and the SEARCH button will then uncover a thread with an additional amount of info that might actually help people!

Oh, and this rather long bitch!

:p :p :p

Ben.. :twak:

Guest Martin F

Wow...........that's the last time i try to use sarcasm with you!!!!!

I was actually quite impressed that you'd obviously used the search button and found something relevant. I just find it quite funny that for the last few weeks, every week somebody seems to have resurrected an old thread.

But hey my bad........won't attempt to be witty or sarcastic with you in future.

:moo:

Dandan,

The problem with any turbo timer and intellistart system is the fact that you cannot by law leave a vehicle unattended on the public highway with the engine still running. Turbo timers will stop the car so it is a little harder to convict somebody when the vehicle just stops running in front of a copper - they would have to be very petty harsh in order to do this anyway.

Also with turbo timers and intellistart systems, your Cat 1 installer should of told you that whilst they are active and the car is running, then you are not covered by the CAT 1 aspect of the alarm. I had to go to a few installers and some of them said that they wouldn't give a certificate for the alarm as it had the intellistart fitted, found Nice Man Matt H and had no problems - and a very good price.

Ben..

Hi ben, the greddy timer i bought from you will be redundant soon, I'm getting a concept 600 and by my understanding it has a timered output which will when relayed (i presume) keep the engine running AND arm the alarm's other sensors ie tilt, proximity, door opening etc.

Obviously it cannot activate the voltage drop circuit due to the fact the alternator is running.

Anything is possible and you can run an alarm with a TT all you would need to do is fool the alarm into thinking the ignition was off, by way of the accessory position on the igniton and a relay, anyone with basic wiring knowledge should be able to fathom that out...

And as for the sacastic comments from certain members, I know all about that, its like being back in school with the teacher everyone avoided;)

• 7 months later...

Don't want to start anything with Martin and Ben again, but I just used the search button to find the info in this thread - and it's been very helpful cos I didn't know if you really needed to wait for the turbos to cool down or not. So thanks everyone from a soop noob.

Oh, and I thought I'd resurrect the thread as well. :D