The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo timers

Mark D

How many of you guys on here actually have them?

Are they really that necessary. I know that if you have been giving it a bit of stick then it is wise to let the turbos cool down. But how many of you come down your own driveway with high boost running. I imagine most of you drive fairly sensibly in residential areas.

I guess my question is, if you have been driving without using much boost (or any) for the last few minutes of your journey do you really need a timer?

Do any of you who don't have one leave your engine idling and for how long?

Those of you who do have them aren't you worried that someone will come up with a device to override the timer and just drive off with your car?!!

Before you all answer please make sure it is easy to understand as I am fairly new to all this techno-talk.

I have a Blitz FATT and reckon it's a good little piece of kit. You can set the minimum time and overide with the off switch. You'd be surprised at what sort of driving produces what switch-off times. Obviously if you're running a standard car it's not essential to have one, but at the price and ease of fitting it's an awful lot cheapr than premature turbo failure.

Most have them...its either that or you HAVE to sit and wait for the engine to cool down...

A lot of the newer ones are able to check what you've been doing and decide how long to run the car for... I believe the FATT DC from Blitz has this function.

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

Most have them...its either that or you HAVE to sit and wait for the engine to cool down...

A lot of the newer ones are able to check what you've been doing and decide how long to run the car for... I believe the FATT DC from Blitz has this function.

but Alex - can you still use with std Cat1 Alarm? Or has to be Clifford - Yes?

Paul:cool:

As far as I remember the owners manual says that city driving does not requite a turbo cool down period. 50 mph requires 20 seconds idle, 60 requires 1 minute and speed above 60 require 2 minutes.

I always use a timer, I use 30 second for 40mph and 30mph driving, 1 minute for 30 to 60 and 2 minutes above at 80 and add 30 seconds for every 20 mph after that. I still extend the time even if I have had a short run at 30 or 40 for less than three minutes after a high speed run.

Darren

The issue is that you can't arm the CAT1 system if the engine's running. As you can't leave a car in this country with the engine running it's no big deal. The turbo timer can't be used to get around the alarm/immobiliser and therefore steal the car.

Alex

The Blitz FATT DCII does decide how much switch-off time according to how you've been using the engine.

I haven't got one of these and I'm having hybrids fitted this week.

Does this make it more of a necessity?

I'm okay with sitting and waiting for things to cool down a bit although I don't apply any science to it, just wait a bit longer if I've been on a long run.

Originally posted by John Packham

Do you mean why not essential on a standard car? I would have assumed if it were essential Toyota would have fitted one as standard - they did a pretty thorough job on the Supra.

A turbo timer is not essential in a modified car....surely the only point of a turbo timer is to save you sitting in the car.

But Toyota do advise you to let the car to idle, in the handbook. So basically if it could be proved that you had not follow hand book advice and your turbos failed due to heat retention related problems, they have a get out clause if you were in warranty situation.

As very few of us are in that situation, it is up to individual users what they do.

They are so cheap and easy to fit I can’t see what all the fuss is about. Just fit one for peace of mind, especially when you come off a motorway or something similar. It far is too easy to forget to let it run.

Hi

Just a bit confused with a post earlier ion this thread

You can't have the CAT1 alarm armed while the engine is running?

I have a Clifford Alarm and I can leave the engine running, then lock the doors and arm the alarm using the remote, then i can leave it running and walk away knowing the car is locked and alarmed

I thought that was the whole point of them, otherwise you may as well just sit in it for 2 minutes :)

Dave

Originally posted by John Packham

No, it takes the guess work out of reading the oil temp etc. and it doesn't forget. It's illegal in the UK to leave a car with the engine running and nobody in it.

Illegal Yes, but i bet the insurance comps dont mind you locking the car while the engine is still running, that is as long as it does not catch fire after youve left it.:eek:

I dont have one myself but think they are an excellant idea, i always let the engine idle after any kind of driving.

You know it makes sense!