The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Great day out at Essex Raceway Thurrock

tooquicktostop

Took my 9 year old daughter to the usual seaside day out yesterday and a nice day it was, Southend in the sun is quite a good day out, but it is easy to spend £100 before you know it

Today we woke up with no agenda, so I suggested a day near the river, she was not keen, well I live about 10 mins walk from Essex Raceway at Lakeside shopping centre and have done so for about 5 years, never been, so I suggested it and she agreed, at 12.30pm we left in the Vette to see whats what well....

This place has racing every weekend and has featured on a couple of the Top Gear specials (People carrier and bus racing), it is a very relaxed venue with ample parking, we arrived very early as racing starts at 2pm, we parked up and paid our £18 to get in (£12 adults and £6 child), soon found out it is best to bring your own seat as the only stand has none and the rest is grass and dirt, you can hire a deck chair however for £2 so we did that and it was very comfortable

The racing lasted for 3 hours and featured some fantastic exciting stuff including 3 rounds of mini stock racing, 3 rounds of super stock racing (somevery nice fast driving), 3 rounds of banger racing which is great fun and very competative and finally a round of caravan distruction derby

I was unsure how my 9 year old girlwas going to take 3 hours of racing but she loved it, the caravan and banger racing made her day, 10 caravans driven to destruction only feet away

The circuit is a short oval and has a dirt oval on the inside for speedway, plenty of cheap food and drink, a bar and a great day out, something we will both do again very soon as they race every Sunday

Thought I would post up the experience as I dont know about you but things to do with kids (or not in the case of car racing!!) can be tough to find that represent some value and fun for 3 hours + :)

I've been meaning to take the lads back down there, Both my 5yr old and the 13yr old love it there..

Maybe a get together is in order when they have something special like the van bangers again.

A meet would be great, they have a huge carpark so a Supra section would be easy to arrange

They have a series of racing each week and next week the special is Robin Reliant destruction racing :D