The mkiv Supra Owners Club

private plates, who has them??

Supra N_A

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My initials are KSLB and my plate is K5LBx worked out nicely and was only about £100 but that was a few years back.

The only down side is some people now think my car is a K reg when it is a 98 R but hey ho!

I tried to get F1 EVE for my wife when the F prefix came out as she is called EVE and an F1 nut but it was long gone by the time I got through, that one was £2500.

Kind of pleased it was gone as I would have bought it if it was still available and at least I can say I tried to get it, it is the thought that counts after all.

Thats the ones I was thinking of "dateless". I always thought they were called private plates and the others were just personalised. You could be right though.

I have

SC02BOY

and

L 5OOP

Jumping in late, but you are correct (geeky, but I'm a big fan of autonumerology. Check out Noel Woodalls books if you want more info).

A private plate has no year letter, and although this includes irish plates, I don't consider them 'true' private plates, as they are relatively cheap in comparison.

A personalised plate has a year letter(s), either at the start or the end. These are often cheaper, unless they can be made to spell out something. Also, to be termed a personalised plate, the number combination on the plate usually has to be from 1-20, or doubles/triples i.e. 55 or 777, but this is less rare.

To reply to the OP, I have a private plate on my car as I was given to me by my grandad when he passed away, although a lot of people assume I'm called Roy as that is what the letter say :p

Jumping in late, but you are correct (geeky, but I'm a big fan of autonumerology. Check out Noel Woodalls books if you want more info).

A private plate has no year letter, and although this includes irish plates, I don't consider them 'true' private plates, as they are relatively cheap in comparison.

A personalised plate has a year letter(s), either at the start or the end. These are often cheaper, unless they can be made to spell out something. Also, to be termed a personalised plate, the number combination on the plate usually has to be from 1-20, or doubles/triples i.e. 55 or 777, but this is less rare.

To reply to the OP, I have a private plate on my car as I was given to me by my grandad when he passed away, although a lot of people assume I'm called Roy as that is what the letter say :p

Ok, thanks for clearing that Roy!;)

And looks like I owe Scott an apology! You were right dude, sorry! :p

Cheap, I was trying to get ABZ 786, but that was a tad out of my price range at £35,000 :blink:

As far as I'm concerned, there's really no such thing as a 'Private' or 'Personalised' plate as all registration numbers issued in the UK were first issued simply as the next sequential number to the one before it.

Pre 1963ish, the numbers issued consisted of just 3 letters and a number from 1 to 999. There wasn't any 'year' letter prefixing or suffixing the plate to denote the year of issue. The 3 letters denoted the licencing office.

After 1963, they introduced a year suffix letter, starting at 'A', so you could see numbers such as ABC 123A, followed in 1964 by the suffix letter 'B' and so on. Suffix letters of 'I', 'O', 'Q', 'U', and 'Z' weren't used.

Once this number system ran out of numbers in 1982, they swapped the year related letter to a prefix, so you got A123 ABC and so on. Since 2001 we've had the current system.

No numbers were issued in response to someone making up a number and asking for it to be created. You could only get a number if it was within the sequential system and hadn't been issued for whatever reason, or in later years because DVLA realised they could make money from plates that could be seen as 'personal' to some people and retained numbers with single digits, or multiples of the same number (111,222 etc) Of course, you the other way to get one of these numbers is to transfer it from someone selling a number you fancy. (One that's already been issued)

I think the term 'cherished number' is more accurate as it's been bought by the owner and it means something to them, so they transfer it from vehicle to vehicle over the years. No numbers a truly 'personalised' in the sense of being created just for a particular reason. I guess you could call a number 'private' once it has been bought by someone, but initially it was available to everyone, so in effect was created just as any other sequential number. Generally (apart form plates that contain a name etc) the older the number, the more expensive it is, particularly if it is from the pre-1963 numbering system as they didn't have any year-notation on them. (no prefix or suffix letter)

We currently have 3 cherished numbers, 2 in use and one on retention. I had a 4th, but sold it 2 weeks ago.

Guest Joey A

Been thinking about getting a private plate for awhile but not sure if it would be abit tacky, my nickname is Joey A so I was gunna get "J900EYA" thoughts??

As far as I'm concerned, there's really no such thing as a 'Private' or 'Personalised' plate as all registration numbers issued in the UK were first issued simply as the next sequential number to the one before it.

Pre 1963ish, the numbers issued consisted of just 3 letters and a number from 1 to 999. There wasn't any 'year' letter prefixing or suffixing the plate to denote the year of issue. The 3 letters denoted the licencing office.

After 1963, they introduced a year suffix letter, starting at 'A', so you could see numbers such as ABC 123A, followed in 1964 by the suffix letter 'B' and so on. Suffix letters of 'I', 'O', 'Q', 'U', and 'Z' weren't used.

Once this number system ran out of numbers in 1982, they swapped the year related letter to a prefix, so you got A123 ABC and so on. Since 2001 we've had the current system.

No numbers were issued in response to someone making up a number and asking for it to be created. You could only get a number if it was within the sequential system and hadn't been issued for whatever reason, or in later years because DVLA realised they could make money from plates that could be seen as 'personal' to some people and retained numbers with single digits, or multiples of the same number (111,222 etc) Of course, you the other way to get one of these numbers is to transfer it from someone selling a number you fancy. (One that's already been issued)

I think the term 'cherished number' is more accurate as it's been bought by the owner and it means something to them, so they transfer it from vehicle to vehicle over the years. No numbers a truly 'personalised' in the sense of being created just for a particular reason. I guess you could call a number 'private' once it has been bought by someone, but initially it was available to everyone, so in effect was created just as any other sequential number. Generally (apart form plates that contain a name etc) the older the number, the more expensive it is, particularly if it is from the pre-1963 numbering system as they didn't have any year-notation on them. (no prefix or suffix letter)

We currently have 3 cherished numbers, 2 in use and one on retention. I had a 4th, but sold it 2 weeks ago.

What would you say A1 comes under then?

Oh I know that bud, one of the most expensive plates you can buy. I would see it as a legitimate private registration though, not under any prefix.

IIRC actual private registrations, like "A1", were done away with many many moons ago. I don't mean they aren't available, I just mean you cannot apply for new ones so if you want a genuine private reg you have to pay through the nose for it.

What would you say A1 comes under then?

Comes under this bit, it doesn't need to be three numbers after the first letter I believe this was just an example.

My plate only has one number after the first letter but nothing special to anyone else.

Comes under this bit, it doesn't need to be three numbers after the first letter I believe this was just an example.

My plate only has one number after the first letter but nothing special to anyone else.

It doesn't though mate, the prefix you mention has 3 letters after the number ;)

That prefix DOES need the 3 letters as far as I am aware.