The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the best mobile on the market?

supra_aero

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly, can you crack the Android phone or can you put stuff you develop on your own phone?

If so then the Desire is probably my next phone.

The "AppInstaller" app lets you put your own stuff on without having to use the market.

Android 2.2 was just mentioned on another site, tests so far show it to be rather quick:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/11/exclusive-androidpolice-coms-nexus-one-is-running-android-2-2-froyo-how-fast-is-it-compared-to-2-1-oh-only-about-450-faster/

More importantly, can you crack the Android phone or can you put stuff you develop on your own phone?

If so then the Desire is probably my next phone.

Yes, you can crack the android (ie root hack it), but you don't need to, the sdk is freely available and you can write apps all day long without having to bow down to MS or apple :)

I'm busy playing around with a modified kernel but that is a completely different matter, I'm looking at under/overclocking certain elements.

Got me one of those HTC Desire today on Vodaphone, first impressions are very good, let's see how I feel in a week or two.

If you're like me you'll just keep loving it more and more. I'm close to kicking the missus out of bed so the Desire can sleep next to me in the warm.

The "AppInstaller" app lets you put your own stuff on without having to use the market.

Android 2.2 was just mentioned on another site, tests so far show it to be rather quick:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05/11/exclusive-androidpolice-coms-nexus-one-is-running-android-2-2-froyo-how-fast-is-it-compared-to-2-1-oh-only-about-450-faster/

Nice one, so another plus for Android...

Marketing stuff on the Market seems more reasonable then the MS way.

Google seems to be $25 to register and they take 30% of the cost of the app.

MS is $99 a year, which includes 5 uploads and any more after that, which includes updates, are $99 each.

Still if you all bought hdSpeedo, might have to change the name, I'll be set for life.. :)

Android OS is Linux too.... and good luck getting anywhere near 10MBbps speed.

i did a speed test in my house! i have a 20MB wireless connection!

And i got 9. sumthing so yes i got 10Mbps with the n900 wirless connection!

My phone is quicker than the new comp at work lol...

Had mine for over a week now.

I'm in love with Desire!

I was going to go for the HD2 but at the last moment Vodafone made me an offer I couldnt refuse (Godfather music) so I had a Desire.

I'm also trying to find a profile app where I can have the ring tone music set at various volumes for different occations.

I found a Tone play app that allows me to set any tome/tune/music to become the ring tone/notification tone etc.

I'v also noticed that for some reason music/mp3's take up more space on the mem card in the phone than they do in the pc!?!?!?! I think because it also stores the cd cover picture. So I have had to go up to a 16gb card. Was looking for a 32gb card but couldnt find one in stock.

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread and you guys have actually convinced me to get an HTC Desire!

I've been on bloody pay as you go for far too long and spend about £40+ a month on top up with Vodaphone so I might as well get a decent contract.

Can you guys help me a little please? What is the best deal to go for? I don't really call that much but text a lot and prefer unlimited internet.

The Internet Texter 100 and 300 packages look really good below:

http://threestore.three.co.uk/priceplans.aspx?phonecode=HTCDSRGP3D&ID=1184&Google&DesireSpotifyBrand&gclid=CPPq1pDWzqECFQs-lAodbHWEJg

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

i did a speed test in my house! i have a 20MB wireless connection!

And i got 9. sumthing so yes i got 10Mbps with the n900 wirless connection!

My phone is quicker than the new comp at work lol...

You said your phone had 10Mbps broadband, I thought you were implying you'd get that speed over 3G/HSDPA network.

If that's wireless speed then looks like it's only 802.11b, I've heard rumours that the Desire/NexusOne chipset supports 802.11n.

Hey guys. I've been reading this thread and you guys have actually convinced me to get an HTC Desire!

I've been on bloody pay as you go for far too long and spend about £40+ a month on top up with Vodaphone so I might as well get a decent contract.

Can you guys help me a little please? What is the best deal to go for? I don't really call that much but text a lot and prefer unlimited internet.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/priceplans.aspx?phonecode=HTCDSRGP3D&ID=1184&Google&DesireSpotifyBrand&gclid=CPPq1pDWzqECFQs-lAodbHWEJg

I'm on Orange Panther 35 (£30 online). I get 600 minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited email (3000 as per fair usage policy) and unlimited internet (1gb) plus Orange Maps and 50 picture messages per month.

Seems alright so far.

I went with vodafone as I couldn't stomach orange anymore (16 months of an 18 month contract). The deal I got was pretty good...

12 Month Contract

£40 per month with 3 months free (by redemption)

200 mins

unlimited texts

unlimited internet

free phone

The coverage with Orange was absolutely dire for me. Vodafone is far superior. I would suggest having a look at the coverage maps for each operator to see what one suits best for where you stay and take it from there.

I went with vodafone as I couldn't stomach orange anymore (16 months of an 18 month contract). The deal I got was pretty good...

12 Month Contract

£40 per month with 3 months free (by redemption)

200 mins

unlimited texts

unlimited internet

free phone

The coverage with Orange was absolutely dire for me. Vodafone is far superior. I would suggest having a look at the coverage maps for each operator to see what one suits best for where you stay and take it from there.

Hi Scott

What phone did you get with this?

Depending on what phone we do 300mins, Unlimited texts, internet, 12m contract at £30 pm on Vodafone.

Just interesting to know which phone you got that deal with. :)

S

HTC Desire bud, was the best deal I could find on the net. Might be 300 mins though, I didn't pay much attention as I don't use much.

Edit: Just checked, you were right... 300 mins. With the 3 months free (£120) it works out £30 per month.

HTC Desire bud, was the best deal I could find on the net. Might be 300 mins though, I didn't pay much attention as I don't use much.

Edit: Just checked, you were right... 300 mins. With the 3 months free (£120) it works out £30 per month.

Cool. Thought it was 300mins.

was it a Vodafone shop? They dont normally do redemption. We have same system as them as we do the discount direct on bill.

Good Deal though ;)