The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the best mobile on the market?

supra_aero

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after an evening playing with the Desire I have to say I'm disappointed.

Disappointed with myself for not buying a smartphone sooner!

A very good bit of kit. I just need a wi-fi connection now for max downloading of apps.

Right I have my new phone. It's not a HD desire :(

Instead my mum donated her free upgrade to me as a surprise (I am still eligible for upgrade mind), but thought I might hold on a couple of months to see how this phone fairs.

So I am in possession of a sony ericsson vivaz, which is also a new phone only out 1-2 months ago.

http://blog.dialaphone-blog.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sony-ericsson-vivaz.JPG

Review here - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/sony-ericsson-vivaz-675812/review?artc_pg=1

First impressions - very stylish, looks like nothing else in the market (not in the usual black case). Screen is incredibly sharp and bright. Bit plastically but incredibly light. It's so light its almost been blown out of my hand by wind during usage!

This phone is meant to be the latest HD recording mobile on the market (apparently market leader at the mo.).

On that note, the HD recording really is incredible. I'll upload a clip later from my black eyed peas concert last Thurs. I was amazed given how loud the music/crowd was at the concert how little nuisance noise was encountered on playback.

It's by no means as intuitive to use as an iphone. A big negative. Took about 4 days to get used to it. Lack of instructions manual didn't help. But once I had understood it, I echo many of the comments on here. I can't believe how I could've lived without a smartphone for so long. So so useful and addictive.

Has multi tasking which is useful. And TV out and plays divx and all that stuff straight out of the box. So I can take this to my country home in Bath and be done with carrying DVDs and my portable hard disc with me.

Sound quality is fantastic for music, though disappointed it didn't have the usual walkman branded (megabass etc.) equaliser options for a sony ericsson. Though you can download an app which resolves that ;)

Very good phone overall - I give it 4/5.

Overall better than an iphone/HD desire..? No it has to be said.

But for what I need, yes. Battery life is good and can be swapped if I need to carry a spare. HD camera is v.v.useful - so no longer need to take a camera out ever again.

Does video calling too. Though I am still on a 2g sim so need to change that before I can try it.

May still upgrade, will give it another 1 week of playing. :sly:

There's an app for that ;)

I've used "ear" which is pretty simple, or "Toggle Settings" which does more and seems popular.

http://www.cyrket.com/ is a pretty good simple site for looking up apps in the market.

Yeah I have been looking at the 3rd party apps to do the things that I want my phone to do, it just isn't ideal though.

At the moment I'm working on "Voice to text", seems it was disabled in the final version for some reason :blink:

N900 might have been the best 2 months ago, HTC blows it out the water where it matters.

I'd have it on my top 5 list though.

HTC's are awsome phones! But my vote stil with the N900 runs on lynix softwere rather than mobile phone softwere and with 1GB of ram, 600MHz processor and 10MG of broadband speed its like a mini compuer! lol

HTC's are awsome phones! But my vote stil with the N900 runs on lynix softwere rather than mobile phone softwere and with 1GB of ram, 600MHz processor and 10MG of broadband speed its like a mini compuer! lol

Different horses for different corses I guess. Taking personal perference out of it though, the HTC is the superior phone (reviews, specs etc) ;)

600mhz? pfft.... too slow for my liking :D

Of course it is like a mini computer, it weighs and measures up with the new 10" laptops :p

Different horses for different corses I guess. Taking personal perference out of it though, the HTC is the superior phone (reviews, specs etc) ;)

600mhz? pfft.... too slow for my liking :D

Of course it is like a mini computer, it weighs and measures up with the new 10" laptops :p

Yer all depends what you want the phone for, i had to have a keyboard for txtin. i hate txtin with touchscreen so i need that option! I always just want the best lil gadget out there lol "geek much malc" errr maybe tehe

Android OS is Linux too.... and good luck getting anywhere near 10MBbps speed.

Just got HTC Desire through post and had 2 hours of fun with it. I have to admit - touchscreen sensitivity on this one is simply genius. I had a go with Iphone and was impressed, but this one is getting all experience to new level :) I was afraid, that I'll have a lot of problems with writing using touch screen and fingers only as there is no pointer with this one, but looks like it is easy enough and with self learning dictionary it's even better :) Only problem I have now is that there is no TomTom satnav for android, so I think I'll need to look for alternative for a time being.

Only problem I have now is that there is no TomTom satnav for android, so I think I'll need to look for alternative for a time being.

Google Maps has turn by turn navigation on Android and it works quite well but you also have CoPilot and a host of other options to look at.

Sygic seems to be one people like:

http://www.sygic.com