The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the best mobile on the market?

supra_aero

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how is everyone getting on with their Desire?

My contract with Orange is up. Desire or iPhone, that is the question. I am tempted with Desire, cos I am a PC not an Apple person and I have a feeling that the iPhone will do things 'the Apple way' which I don't care for too much.

But all my mates who have an iPhone go on and on and on about how good they are...

I also might wait around for the google phone that will be out soon, who knows

Confused? Yes

So how is everyone getting on with their Desire?

My contract with Orange is up. Desire or iPhone, that is the question. I am tempted with Desire, cos I am a PC not an Apple person and I have a feeling that the iPhone will do things 'the Apple way' which I don't care for too much.

But all my mates who have an iPhone go on and on and on about how good they are...

I also might wait around for the google phone that will be out soon, who knows

Confused? Yes

I know loads of people with iphones and I was sorely tempted to get one or wait for the next version in a few months. Ultimately though, Apple are being right c**ts at the moment and I don't want to go that route.

So I ordered a Desire. It arrives today. Will let you know what its like.

The Desire is the Googlephone with a few minor differences. The Desire also has the HTC Sense UI which is superior to that of the Gphone.

I'm hoping it'll work fine with Linux as I'm neither a PC or an Apple.:D

So far I'm loving it. You can see the similarities between the HTC and the Iphone.

The phone is absolutely lightening quick. I have downloaded loads of shit apps and switch from home, to app, to text, to google in an instant. In the reviews they did say it was fast, just confirming that they aren't exagerating.

It is a really nice phone to use, there are a couple of things that they could have gotten a little better but these are just really minor gripes, I'm basically nit picking as there is nothing else to be negative about....

Changing the ringtone to MP3 takes a bit of figuring out. For some reason you can't do it from the "Change Ringtone" option in the settings. Also it took me a while to figure out how to change the message tone to a custom MP3, same reason as above.

To set an MP3 as a ringtone you need to first go into your music and play the song you want to use, while it is playing you hit menu then "Use as ringtone". It's simple enough but isn't really a logical process when selecting a ringtone.

To set an MP3 as a message tone (Actually a notification so I think it covers everything other than the ringer) you need to connect the phone to the PC and copy the MP3 file to the "Notification" folder under "Sounds" iirc (definitely Notification, not sure about sounds). Once in there you can select it from the drop down list in the notification tone settings.

At the moment I am trying to figure out if I can have my own tone profile. The only ones available are "Normal", "Silent" and "Vibrate". Would be nice to have a pager type one as well. I also had a profile where the ringer was loud but everything else was silent.

As I say, these are minor gripes. The camera, ease of use and the cracking homepages are blowing the Iphone out of the water for me. I was tempted by the Iphone but I'm glad I went for the HTC.

I'll never go back with Orange...

They charge 1p per delivery report. Doesn't sound like a lot but adds up if you send a lot of texts.

You can only drop the call plan you are on by 1 level in the lifetime of the contract. It used to be after half the time was up you could get whatever plan you wished. Now you are stuck with what you originally had, or get £5 off for a really crap lesser one.

As soon as you are interested in leaving the customer service, that they pride themselves on, just don't want to know. They aren't interested in talking to you let alone negotiating a new contract.

That isn't even to mention the crap reception. I have only ever had 2 types of reception from Orange. Absolutely terrible or absolutely brilliant. I can go from my living room (no signal to barely 1 bar) and step outside my door to where I get full 3.5G. I can then go to my car where I have nothing again. They seem to have a setup where it is all or nothing, useless for what I am looking for.

I remember having all this trouble with orange a while back, although the delivery reports were free then. I vowed never to go back but the deal was too good to refuse. No deal will bring me back to Orange. Vodafone for the win. They aren't without their faults but they are the best around for the tradeoff between value, flexibility and coverage.

Bored of waiting for it to turn up now.

One of those feelings eh? Bet you'll be like a kid in a candy store when it arrives. Frantically ripping the packaging, whilst trying to maintain a certain level of coolness :cool:

You will have prolly have to to charge it for 24 hours anyway before you can use it

Na, ready to plug and play right out of the box. Mine had about half a charge in it.

I've never had a dead phone yet.

They did warn that it might take up to 48 hours to connect, for security purposes, but it was connected as soon as I turned it on also.

You will have prolly have to to charge it for 24 hours anyway before you can use it

I nearly fainted then...

Na, ready to plug and play right out of the box. Mine had about half a charge in it.

...but this comment and a look at the manual (downloaded. It isn't here yet) settled me down.

One of those feelings eh? Bet you'll be like a kid in a candy store when it arrives. Frantically ripping the packaging, whilst trying to maintain a certain level of coolness :cool:

Coolness. I'll be jumping around like an ADHD kid stuffed full or speed and orange Smarties. If the missus films me I'll be a Youtube hit for sure.:D

Not much of an update then? The HD3 has a faster processor and a trick screen but nothing to write home about.

4G will be useless and by the time it is of any good in the UK mobiles will be leaps and bounds ahead.

Save your money :)