The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the best mobile on the market?

supra_aero

Apart from a slightly different case and screen, what could the Iphone offer that makes the upgrade from 3g/gs to 4 worthwhile other than so called street cred?

My main gripe with the 3GS is the camera. It's basically rubbish.

A decent camera with flash would see me getting one. Also video calling with a camera on the front, and I really, really hope they include an FM reciever for radion on the move. Radio apps are rubbish.

A bigger screen, making much better use of the available space on the front of the phone. There's loads of potential to expand it to the edge. I'd have the 'home' button as a straight bar so it doesn't take up so much room on the front, plus I'd have a call answer and put down key on either side (like the satio) to retain its main function as a phone.

A decent home screen set up you can manipulate. at the moment everyone has a boring black background, they all look the same - something akin to the satio would be nice.

Quick time and other player feedback would be good.

Folders is a must, altough that could happen on the 3GS to be fair.

Storage like a USB drive would be awesome.

Message tone alteration is essential!!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the HTC HD2?

Larger screen than the iphone and the desire, running on windows mobile (6 IIRC) and fully compatable with windows products without an app needed.

It looks like the desire's big brother.

It depends on ease of use, I think. from what I've seen of the Android phones the HTC Touch interface is better implimented on them than on WM platforms. I've had two "Touch interface" HTC phones now and in both cases I've disabled it in order to get at all the WM settings.

If you are happy to get inside the phone's OS then the HD2 is not a bad tool at all. My main gripe with mine is that you need to do a couple of simple registy tweaks to get around some truly dumb default settings in the HTC software. If you want it to be iPhone-like in its user interface then I'd probably recommend an Android phone.

A decent camera with flash would see me getting one. Also video calling with a camera on the front, and I really, really hope they include an FM reciever for radion on the move. Radio apps are rubbish.

A bigger screen, making much better use of the available space on the front of the phone. There's loads of potential to expand it to the edge. I'd have the 'home' button as a straight bar so it doesn't take up so much room on the front, plus I'd have a call answer and put down key on either side (like the satio) to retain its main function as a phone.

A decent home screen set up you can manipulate. at the moment everyone has a boring black background, they all look the same - something akin to the satio would be nice.

Agreed :)

Buy a camera then ;) HTC has a 5mega camera

See above :) Not sure on the flash.

HTC desires screen is FAR superior to the iphone.

The HTC desire had 7 homescreens which you can flip between very easily

Why do you need quicktime? surely an mp3 player is fine and a decent open supported video player, HTC does have that :)

All the above, check :)

HOWEVER it isn't an iphone and for that reason alone people wouldn't get it, even if it is a superior product which IMHO is wrong.

So given those feature requests, look at the HTC as it will provide all of that... Maybe not quicktime, but quicktime is just a container and can't say I've seen much on the net in QT format.

It's only there because the iPhone started it all. The HTC is being investigated on Patents infringement as we speak.

I'll stick with the iPhone, thanks. :)

It depends on ease of use, I think. from what I've seen of the Android phones the HTC Touch interface is better implimented on them than on WM platforms. I've had two "Touch interface" HTC phones now and in both cases I've disabled it in order to get at all the WM settings.

If you are happy to get inside the phone's OS then the HD2 is not a bad tool at all. My main gripe with mine is that you need to do a couple of simple registy tweaks to get around some truly dumb default settings in the HTC software. If you want it to be iPhone-like in its user interface then I'd probably recommend an Android phone.

The only thing putting me off getting and Android phone over a WM6.5 phone (HD2) is not being able to use my existing apps and stuff I've developed on it.

With the amount of custom firmwares for the HD2 (I'm currently on the original HD, using WM6.5 with HTC Sense 2.5 ala the HD2) and other tweaks and it's an awesume combo.

Really fancy the extra grunt of the 1Ghz processor too.

I have recently upgraded to a Sony Ericsson X10, which seems to be quite a nifty phone, albeit it is quite a large handset. It has an 8.1megapixel camera and a very clear screen, it takes some getting used to as i previously had a N95 so touch screen is something i am new too, but its pretty straight forward.

It's only there because the iPhone started it all.

No, Apple stole the ideas from previous companies long since bust, or stole and patented ideas which already had prior art. ;)

Their claims against HTC will come to nothing, most of which have already been rebutted I believe.

Buy a camera then ;) HTC has a 5mega camera.

That's just silly, I do have a decent camera, but my phone comes out with me all the time - my camera doesn't. I'm not asking for perfect photos, just the better tech that's already been availble on other phones

See above :) Not sure on the flash.

HTC desires screen is FAR superior to the iphone.

The HTC desire had 7 homescreens which you can flip between very easily

Why do you need quicktime? surely an mp3 player is fine and a decent open supported video player, HTC does have that :)

All the above, check :)

HOWEVER it isn't an iphone and for that reason alone people wouldn't get it, even if it is a superior product which IMHO is wrong.

It does look a cracking phone, the spec overview looks similar to the iphone, even though the iphone has been out oodles longer:

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3077&idPhone2=2826

You can't say just because an iphone is an iphone it sells. It's really good, that's why it sells. Plus its an Ipod too.

All I can say is the 4G is going to be unreal. From someone that didn't want an iphone because I didn't want to follow the crowd (whom bought a satio then took it back and got an iphone), I'll defo be getting the 4G if it improves on those areas I think it's lacking in, as it's superb otherwise.

One feature which I do really like, although not checked to see if others support it, bluetooth media streaming.

My misses recently purchased a £99 Sony headunit for her motor, nothing special but it does support bluetooth phone/media. Basically it streams media audio from the iPhone to the stereo so any music or films can be heard through the stereo, I thought that was very trick indeed, the Matrix fight scene played out very well :thumbs:

I just moved from O2 to 3. O2 have the worst mobile internet coverage compared to 3 having the best.

According to Ofcoms coverage maps: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

I think virtually all netowrks have the same signal coverage as a lot share masts.

Is that right? I thought o2 for some reason had best reception and 3 was terrible. Maybe 3 have improved since I last heard about them.