What's the best mobile on the market?

supra_aero

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Praise indeed!

"Techradar Verdict

In short, this is a phenomenal phone - one of the best we've ever had on TechRadar. Usually when we like a phone on the first use, we end up horribly disappointed after a little use - but the HTC Desire kept on performing and achieving when we thought it wouldn't.

The screen is lovely, the design is slick and processor makes everything happen in a flash - all you'd want from a smartphone.

Sure, some people will want slightly nicer design (we'd advise you check out the Legend) or a simpler home screen and richer app store at the moment (look at the iPhone) but as a piece of hardware it's without par in the mobile world.

A stunning phone, and one that will show the world that Android isn't just for the hackers and phone geeks any more."

Google Maps have just released the Android turn by turn navigation beta to UK customers too, it's nice :)

http://www.techdigest.tv/2010/04/turn-by-turn_na.html

I've also read rumours that Google is going to open up On2's VP8 codec and hopefully wrap it into HTML5 as a license-free offering :)

That will effectively end adobe's hold on video on things such as youtube, google video and the like.

(Until the same happens when I'm left behind in the future)

:D time travel sweeps mkivsupra.net!

It was fashionable to type like this in the future, isn't it?

Give them a hundred years to catch up and maybe this sort of thing will be in the past.

I bet you aren't even aware of what you've done there.

I've played with the Desire a fair bit here and it is a lovely phone, I do suspect battery life may be an issue when playing HD films or general video for that matter though.

Android 2.1 is a lovely OS. As far as app stores go, wait a while they will be a lot more populated soon ;)

Don't like following sheep and the iphone "aren't I cool" crowd.

I know its a good phone (apparently :D) but would rather be more individual.

The Desire probably won't help this one, it's popular because it's very good but the sheep mentality is bound to kick in.

Hang on a minute, you wont buy a good product cause other people have it already, isnt that a little similar to saying you wouldnt buy a Supra as everyone here has one, after all we could all be classed as sheep following the MKIV :search:

I am confused :search:

I was just thinking that. At least I'll be a leading sheep

I was thinking of getting the Nexus for similar reasons, combined with it being cheaper than the iPhone but then saw the Desire and chose that. Turns out about 6 other sheep in my office also decided to get the Desire so I'm well and truly flocked.

I was hammering my Desire on WiFi and GPS last night and used 70% or so of the battery in under 4 hours but it used about 10% on standby for 8 hours today. You should be able to pick up spare batteries and dual chargers pretty cheaply though so I'll be doing that once they're finally released.

Hang on a minute, you wont buy a good product cause other people have it already, isnt that a little similar to saying you wouldnt buy a Supra as everyone here has one, after all we could all be classed as sheep following the MKIV :search:

I am confused :search:

I like to be more individual that's all. I am not a fan of apple products either or the crowd which seems to adore them - don't wanna use the word over-rated as you seem to like them :D.

But here is my and best friends experience with apple products;

• My gf had a g4 apple - £2400 - broke after 5 months.
  • I had an ipod - broke after 6 months.
  • A close friend had a very pricey powerbook which also broke within 18 months.
  • Granted most of the iphones in my circle of friends have been ok (but most have been replaced due to self inflicted damage/loss), so can't comment on true reliability

Not filled with confidence if I am honest.

And the user reviews on cnet reflect the same "hype" story with the iphone. See editor reviews - then user reviews (another large disparity from the hype (editors) and user reviews;

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/0,139102093,1,00.htm

Now compare those reviews to HTC products.

For those reasons and I have been burnt before for simply following the crowd and hype, I like to be different now-a-days. ;)

I've been using Apple products for well over 20 years, and some of them are still going strong (probably). I've never had one moments trouble with any of them. Hence why I'm a big fan. :)

I doubt very much any other phone/computer manufacturer can lay claims to anything more than a year or two at most.

I've been using Apple products for well over 20 years, and some of them are still going strong (probably). I've never had one moments trouble with any of them. Hence why I'm a big fan. :)

I doubt very much any other phone/computer manufacturer can lay claims to anything more than a year or two at most.

Could just be bad luck for me and my mates.

But what makes it even worse is not only the fact that they break, its the problem that when apple products do you must get them repaired at one of the apple repair centres. More often than not the repair man down the street won't touch them.

And they take you to the absolute cleaners and rip you off. Even changing an ipod battery is a rip off. Sorry apple you have not pulled the wool over my eyes.

Not sure it anyone has said this, but I was under the impression the 4G was due to come out July? Might be worth hanging on?

Could do, but I know the wannabe cool crowd will be rushing for them at midnight the day of release . No doubt it'll sell out due to deliberately small production/distribution numbers.

And once these cool people have them they'll flashing it in our faces in the underground trains/bars/pubs at every opportunity flicking through pointless screens. I'd rather avoid that image. :tongue:

Not sure it anyone has said this, but I was under the impression the 4G was due to come out July? Might be worth hanging on?

Apart from a slightly different case and screen, what could the Iphone offer that makes the upgrade from 3g/gs to 4 worthwhile other than so called street cred?

Apart from a slightly different case and screen, what could the Iphone offer that makes the upgrade from 3g/gs to 4 worthwhile other than so called street cred?

It's slimmer and the buttons have been placed slightly differently. :)

I'm sure the camera is better too.

Maybe it has some cool new ringtones too.

Sold. :)

It's slimmer and the buttons have been placed slightly differently. :)

I'm sure the camera is better too.

Maybe it has some cool new ringtones too.

Sold. :)

Wait for it..........

wow :p