The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Preludes?

Guest jdwals

Guest jdwals

Okay - am about to do the unthinkable here. Ever since my Supra was written off in flooding at the end of last year I have been trying to figure out what I will do regarding a replacement - would I get another Supra or would I get something cheaper for now (do a fair bit of daily driving, getting married later this year and have also been hit with a dreaded pay cut).

So as bit of possible sensible motoring (in my head anyway), I have been contemplating picking up a Honda Prelude as a bit of a daily driver for the next few months till after the wedding is over and done with.

I am leaning towards the 4th generation Prelude, the 2.0ltr version - had a 2.2 non Vtec before and loved it over the four years I had it, longest I have ever kept a car and had a few tears in the eye when I was driving away having sold it.

Think the shape looks lovely (not Supra lovely but still lovely), interior is different to a lot of cars, fairly reliable if maintained down through the years and has very comfy seats for long drives. The 2.0ltr also returns mid 30's mpg with ease from what I can read on the net.

So, the question is - what do people think of these cars? Good idea or bad idea to change to one?

One worry I have is having loved my first one so much, I am worried I will end up comparing this one to the one I had before and that will wreck my head.

I have considered the 5th gen version to try and avoid that but the shape does nothing for me, they pretty much have the same running gear and many of them seem to have put up more miles than the 4th gen versions out there - even home grown 4th gen's with service histories to back up the mileage.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, would that also mean I would have to leave this forum in shame?

Depends what you want really, if you're gonna miss lots of power and fun then maybe a 200SX or something similar might be a better choice? I love the shape of the prelude but my old MG ZR kept up with a 2.2 iVTEC one really easily - they aren't that fast!

One worry I have is having loved my first one so much, I am worried I will end up comparing this one to the one I had before and that will wreck my head.

That is a likely issue. I've never had the same car twice but I would imagine you'll be comparing everything.

I've had a couple of SI-Vtec 4th gen preludes and i love them to bits. Probably one of the best interiors (dash) on any car ever (IMO). Cheap as well now. They do suffer from rust pretty bad, tends to be their biggest killer.

Performance wise, not quite as rapid as an NA mainly due to the FWD but still a great, fun, cheap car. I would only have the 2.2 though, the vtec kick is superb and akin to a turbo.

I used to have a 2.2 vtec 'lude for about 4 years. Loved it. Only things I had to change were the VSS, exhaust and Battery.

As OZZ stated, the weak point was rust. Especially around the rear arches. The Vtec is awesome too, particularly when you've got an aftermarket filter kit installed. Sounds lush!

I used to have a 2.2 vtec 'lude for about 4 years. Loved it. Only things I had to change were the VSS, exhaust and Battery.

As OZZ stated, the weak point was rust. Especially around the rear arches. The Vtec is awesome too, particularly when you've got an aftermarket filter kit installed. Sounds lush!

What ever you do, don't put them after-market "Lexus" lights on ;)

Guest jdwals

Brings back memories - my first one was in Milano Red.

A few months after I sold it I got an invoice from the fire service for a call out regarding the car which had needed a fire put out and cut open to extract the driver (alive and not to badly injured).

Polish driver who was drink driving and crashed her, destroying her in the process.

Sometimes I see pictures of the car and think I was silly to not have kept it.

Think if I get another one I will have to try for red - it really brings out the shape of the car.

I also had a Vtec and the Supe has never really filled the gap its left – possibly because the Lude was my main car, whereas the Supe is isnt now??? But the dash and design is still great IMO.

I personally would only consider the Vtec, but depends on your drive and running costs. If you’re on the motorway a lot then I’d opt for the 2.3.

But the biggest must is a LSD. I think I’d choose a FWD LSD rather than a RWD non-LSD, it is that good. The Lude just wanted to pull you round every single corner and the feed back was lovely.

The 4WS was also great.

Mine never gave me an ounce of problem.

I think the Integ is a bit too raw for a daily drive, but still practical and a fantsic car as well.

Don’t you just love the Vtec & sound though!!

I think it will be a great buy if you can find a good one. What about an import if they’re still about?

Hmm you’ve got me thinking now……………

As before: no Lexus lights and no big wings :(

Just the factory skirts and a Mugan single - lovely ;)

I had one before the supra for 4 years and loved it to bits, and still do (it's gone to another guy in the prelude owners club and I hate seeing him put pics up :()

Has to be a 2.2vtec though, 200bhp (with a few breathing mods) if you get the JDM version, and the best dash ever

Find one without the rear arch or sunroof rust and you're laughing.

Here was mine:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9043/1003514zn8.jpg

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/4966/1003505sy2.jpg

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/4213/1003510bt9.jpg

Same here had one for 3 yr's loved it, 2.2 vtec pretty quick, loved when the vtec cut in :), and the digital dash was a nice touch ! only thing was i had water coming in thro the ariel mast on the roof, tried everything to fix it, but to no avail , had to sell :(