The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who are you voting for?

tbourner

Slightly confused by that... do you mean you agree with me, or that I'm being hypocritical? :search: :)

The latter.

But TBH I was a bit unfair you're not being short sighted, I just disagree. :D

I think a major world power needs a nuke deterrant. The idea isn't that we ever go to war with them, the idea is it STOPS nuclear war from happening (IMO).

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter.

I think a major world power needs a nuke deterrant. The idea isn't that we ever go to war with them, the idea is it STOPS nuclear war from happening (IMO).

Hehehehe,ooh okay :) (Not sure hypocritical was the right word though either ;)).....

But I do enjoy a good debate :)

How does having the ultimate weapon stop someone else from using it.... Most educated people are fully aware that if a nuke went off in anger that it is pretty much game over, I think that is an accepted fact. It is school yard antics of 'mine is bigger than yours', but it is getting to the point of 'mine is bigger than yours and will take your house AND my house at the same time'

So by tempting fate and having all of these thousands of nuclear devices out and about, it increases the chances of one going off accidentally or being pinched and used.

The weapons that were developed in the 80s are MORE than capable of 'glassing' the planet, so why develop newer ones? We know what they do, we know how big they can get (aka the Russian superbomb).

I'm actually fascinated by all the nuclear stuff such as trinity, ivy mike, julin and that sort of thing and have done a fair bit of research, but my view is that we have learnt a little bit of what we can do and we should be harnessing not exploding what we have now. While I don't support or see the need for nuclear weapons now, I do avidly support nuclear power stations and alternative peaceful uses for it (well apart from plowshare which was useless ;))

The latter.

I think the best way to stop a nuclear war from happening is if no one has any nuclear weapons!

I haven't done any research! :blink: So I'm losing on logic. I don't know if the Trident upgrades will be fusion or fission? I guess they'd be the simple kilotonne bombs of the past (the Russian deal was a 50M fusion bomb I believe?).

Either way, it's bad news for one to go off! You seem to be looking at it like Wargames (the movie) though, like we could 'accidentally' let one off! And also that if one was fired it would take more than 10 seconds for us to return fire! I mean seriously, a proper strike would need to be several weapons fired all at once at set targets across the UK, and I guarantee we'd at least have returned a few before they landed! That's why it's a detterant, it's basically sticking us all in a stalemate situation because we all know whoever fires first doesn't 'win' they just cause the annihilation of the planet!

I think the best way to stop a nuclear war from happening is if no one has any nuclear weapons!

True, but we don't want to be the first to lay down our guns IMO because there's no wild west honor system when billions of dollars and world domination is at stake!

When will the results be known?

Its like transfer deadline day with posh people

I hate Brown, and all partys are going to help my company so im voting con

lol.

Labour signs Nick Clegg for a record £95 million and £500k a week + goal bonus + duck pond allowances.

That is definitely my view as well... I can't remember the exact quoted figures, but the CCCP had in the order of 2000+ long range ICBMS containing rather large yeild warheads... one of which is capable of making life somewhat uncomfortable...

The Russian deal was a 50M fusion bomb I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfoQsZa8F1c&feature=related

It was indeed 50Mt, but the design was capable of 100Mt+ *eeeeek*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

The original U.S. estimate of the yield was 57 Mt, but since 1991 all Russian sources have stated its yield as 50 Mt. Khrushchev warned in a filmed speech to the Communist Parliament of the existence of a 100 Mt bomb (technically the design was capable of this yield). The fireball touched the ground[dubious – discuss], reached nearly as high as the altitude of the release plane and was seen and felt almost 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) from ground zero. The heat from the explosion could have caused third degree burns 100 km (62 miles) away from ground zero. The subsequent mushroom cloud was about 64 kilometres (40 mi) high (nearly seven times the height of Mount Everest), which meant that the cloud was well inside the Mesosphere when it peaked. The base of the cloud was 40 kilometres (25 mi) wide. The explosion could be seen and felt in Finland[citation needed] , breaking windows there and in Sweden.[citation needed] Atmospheric focusing caused blast damage up to 1,000 kilometres (620 mi) away. The seismic shock created by the detonation was measurable even on its third passage around the Earth.[6] Its seismic body wave magnitude was about 5 to 5.25.[7] The energy yield was around 7.1 on the Richter scale but, since the bomb was detonated in air rather than underground, most of the energy was not converted to seismic waves.

Since 50 Mt is 2.1×1017 joules, the average power produced during the entire fission-fusion process, lasting around 39 nanoseconds, was about 5.4×1024 watts or 5.4 yottawatts (5.4 septillion watts). This is equivalent to approximately 1.4% of the power output of the Sun.[8]