The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My first steps into the worldof bikes...

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being almost your height I can sympathise with the bike situation you're about to go through ( Im 6 ft 7 ) I've been riding now for 14 years and found the only bike that I can get along with are large sports tourers. You will have the same problem and it'll be your knees, with the exception of harleys and other similar bikes they are the only bikes you will fit on COMFORTABLY (not saying you can't sit on or ride r1's etc but you'll be stopping every 5-10 miles)

so in a nutshell --> direct access course ---> zzr1100 or super blackbird ;)

P.S. make sure your reaction times are up to it as well and just in case ride around like your grannie for the first few hundred miles :)

P.P.S. choice of lid varies from person to person but make sure you get a really snug fit is critical, oh and thoroughly recommend dainese 2 piece race leathers for meets etc betty swollocks doesn't do the term justice in middle of summer at shows with a 1 piece ! also dainese do cater for taller people in their suits. wise investment also is a back protector

HTH

Being almost your height I can sympathise with the bike situation you're about to go through ( Im 6 ft 7 ) I've been riding now for 14 years and found the only bike that I can get along with are large sports tourers. You will have the same problem and it'll be your knees, with the exception of harleys and other similar bikes they are the only bikes you will fit on COMFORTABLY (not saying you can't sit on or ride r1's etc but you'll be stopping every 5-10 miles)

so in a nutshell --> direct access course ---> zzr1100 or super blackbird ;)

P.S. make sure your reaction times are up to it as well and just in case ride around like your grannie for the first few hundred miles :)

P.P.S. choice of lid varies from person to person but make sure you get a really snug fit is critical, oh and thoroughly recommend dainese 2 piece race leathers for meets etc betty swollocks doesn't do the term justice in middle of summer at shows with a 1 piece ! also dainese do cater for taller people in their suits. wise investment also is a back protector

HTH

They are two nice looking bikes :) Thanks for the tip

I fully intend to ride like a granny for a while until I find my feet. The speed of a bike is amazing, but it's the traffic awareness I need to work on, and the lack of visibility was a lot more than I thought.

I won't be trying to 'get my knee' down at an point!? :D

I didn't realise Dainese did long fitting stuff... I don't suppose you have any links? I can't find anything? :search:

Cheers mate, some good advice there :)

best I can find after a brief search is this place, they do up to a size 60 (6ft6) but mine are a 58 (6ft4) and fit really well so I guess it's probably best to go try some on somewhere tbh, in the same way with other clothes some will be a generous size compared to others.

http://www.bikestop.co.uk/clothing/mens/mens-two-piece-leather-suits/dainese-stripes-2-piece-suit.html/

sizing chart: http://www.motorace.com/sizing.htm

apparently theres a size 62 but couldn't find any straight away and should be for 6ft8 so thats probably the closest you'll get and bear in mind you'll want them a bit tight fitting too so should be spot on as they give a bit over time.

HTH :)

That's a good one to check out... cheers :)

I just found this one too..

I still wish I could get a Sports bike though :( :p

That looks like a tidy bike! For me the Varadero is a real all-round bike, you are as happy commuting/travelling a you are for a good old blast. I would say steer clear of the super sport tourers for a few years as the power in those things is immense and very tricky to control if you are new to big bikes.

All the big Jap supersports bikes are getting smaller and smaller with each generation, more and more oriented to the 'vertically challenged' JDM gentleman so for me I'd go for one of the previous generation litre supersports bikes - I'm 6'2" and almost as broad with 17 1/2 stone of bulk. 600's just look silly on me, like minimoto toys - I need a big bike :eyebrows:

I'm new to bikes too - I taught myself how to ride about a year ago whilst on hols in Phuket by watching a few youtube videos then having a go. I went out and rented a bike that felt right, at the time a 900cc Honda Hornet. Was a bit weird at first especially after convincing the rental guy I could ride then stalling trying to get away from the rental stand in busy busy traffic on the beach thinking "more revs and let clutch out gentler" followed by barely holding on hurtling down the street lol.

As soon as I got onto the country roads close by I soon got to grips with it and rode endless miles for the next week or so - by the end of that time I wasn't afraid to pin the throttle often when the conditions were right! :)

Recently I went back and this time was on a litre 2006 Honda CBR-1000-RR Fireblade - that bike felt perfect to me, just the right size:

attachment.php?attachmentid=108199&stc=1&d=1271276032

What a thrill that was to ride. Pinning the throttle on that felt like engaging warp factor 9, a real rush with the front wheel lifting off the ground :eyebrows: Deffo the bike I'm most likely to go for long term.

Since coming back from hols I decided it was time to go legit in the UK after being told by pillions I rode better than their m8s who'd been riding for years lol :D Just over a month ago I booked in for and passed the bike theory test (just did the two DSA website practice tests, the rest is common sense), that weekend done my CBT and two weeks ago passed my Mod1 test on a 500cc Kwak ER5 after a few lessons. Booked in to do my Mod2 test next week on the same bike so once I've passed can get what bike I like, only limited by insurance - about £900 for the first year fully comp for that CBR I really want.

I'd say go for the bike you really want first, there are so many condescending 'seasoned' bikers that'll tell you that you've got to start on some 250cc piss burner and even that is likely to kill you - the amount of them that have pratted on at me when I've mentioned litre bikes :rolleyes: It's only as fast as your right wrist folks! :search: The same stuff that makes you a good driver makes you a good rider IMO - spatial awareness, hazard perception and smoothness on all controls :thumbs:

Gear wise back in the UK I've kitted up with good quality armoured fabrics top and bottom, a spine protector, armoured gloves and boots and a latest gen Shark lid. I was prepared to pay whatever it took to get the best fitting lid and tried the usual Arai, Shoei, AGV etc. but the only one that fitted my shape of head right was the Shark and it had to be their latest one as previous generations didn't. No real need for power ranger leathers now as the fabrics are just as tough and can be even better in an accident from what I've read, although a 2-piece might be more comfortable heat wise for hot summer riding.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks for that Brian - great write up :thumbs:

I'm obviously just starting out in this, but it's good to hear that you're not frightened of getting a big bike either. I thought the same.. it's only as fast as you want to go.

I've got a couple of lessons booked in for next week... and I can't wait! :D

I worry about you guys talking of 1000cc machines for your first motorbikes, ive always thought of myself as a good rider but when i look back i know im lucky to be alive, some have not been so lucky, remember our club member bolabag that got a R1 for his first bike? i dont think he lasted two weeks, may he RIP.

I agree it's more of a risk if you're inclined not to be sensible about it. Folks can only be honest with themselves in that respect. For me I quickly learned just how fierce the big bikes could be and adapted to be very gentle on the throttle especially. It's amazing how fast you can accelerate with the tiniest twist of your right wrist!

As for all the other bike danger, I've always been of the "if it's my time to go..." school of thought. I'm in no rush to go out and total myself especially given I have the wee one now but it isn't really up to us. As with cars, all you can do is treat everyone else on the road like idiots - other than that, buy good gear and be sensible in when you go fast.

Thinking of the size of the bike vs. the size of the person too - my bro weighs 70KG tops and is doing his bike test too with the intention of jumping on a 600cc supersports. There ain't gonna be much in it if I'm on a litre as I'm a chunk bigger and heavier. In my mind I really need the extra torque of the bigger bike...

I worry about you guys talking of 1000cc machines for your first motorbikes, ive always thought of myself as a good rider but when i look back i know im lucky to be alive, some have not been so lucky, remember our club member bolabag that got a R1 for his first bike? i dont think he lasted two weeks, may he RIP.

I don't dispute your worries jamie but at 6ft 10 and i'm guessing 15st + (19.5 here :) ) mikes going to be too top heavy for a lot of smaller bikes and would probably be more dangerous for him to ride as I almost found out on a few occasions over the years, as with any fast car/bike (cars kill too... :( ) it's only as quick as you're comfortable making it go.

• 5 months later...

Well done on passing mod 1 mate mod 2 is a lot more relaxed out on the road its a bit of a false enviroment in that stupid enclosed space.

As for a thou as your first bike i wouldnt entertain that thought mate. I got a k4 gixer 750 as my first bike and its more than enough borderline fu##in scary quick.

If your not switched on it will get you into a world of trouble. just my opinion though unless your a wizard with clutch control that though will just wheelie uncontrolably.

Either way be carefull the power is very very addictive. Ride safe.

When you do pass your test Mike (and good luck with it) i wouldnt plan any rides out with others till your comfortable with the bike

and your capabilities its not a good feeling when your trying to keep up with a more experienced rider forcing you out your comfort zone.

I made this mistake and it nearly cost me dearly.

Well done. I done my CBT and passed my theory test last week. So now I'm looking at doing my training for MOD1.

Acccording to my instructor there is a new part to MOD2 which started this week, where the examiner will ask you to ride too, for example the A1 or a tourist attraction. And then you have to follow the road signs and plan your own route. But this should be easy, as a car driver you will have experience.

Well done. I done my CBT and passed my theory test last week. So now I'm looking at doing my training for MOD1.

Acccording to my instructor there is a new part to MOD2 which started this week, where the examiner will ask you to ride too, for example the A1 or a tourist attraction. And then you have to follow the road signs and plan your own route. But this should be easy, as a car driver you will have experience.

I think that would be a bit much if your unfamiliar with the area where the test is being done. Sounds like another obsticle to try have less bikers on the road. You dont get all that crap with your car test the examiner tells you where to go as it should be. Bike tests are getting out of hand i think it should be reviewed imo. Good luck with mod2.

I think that would be a bit much if your unfamiliar with the area where the test is being done. Sounds like another obsticle to try have less bikers on the road. You dont get all that crap with your car test the examiner tells you where to go as it should be. Bike tests are getting out of hand i think it should be reviewed imo. Good luck with mod2.

I think that's being introduced into the car test too: navigation without specific instructions from the examiner. I don't think they ask you to navigate somewhere you're not familiar with, i.e. they keep it local.

I think that's being introduced into the car test too: navigation without specific instructions from the examiner. I don't think they ask you to navigate somewhere you're not familiar with, i.e. they keep it local.

Ah i see thats not so bad if its for both tests now.

Seems like there trying to make it more and more difficult for

new riders these days thats all.

Congrats on the Mod1 pass Mike :thumbs: I was glad to have that one out the way so I could concentrate on road riding.

Booked in to do my Mod2 test next week on the same bike

^^ Update, passed this 1st time round back in April :D so have my full license. Whole other bunch of stuff got in the way with me getting a Bike for the season though so leaving it to next season now. Just glad to have the license now and the formalities out of the way.

Cheers,

Brian.

Update, passed this 1st time round back in April :D

Nice work mate! :D What bike are you thinking of?

Hopefully I'll be able to say the same by the end of the month :)

I'm still thinking of the Varadero - I know it's a 1000cc bike, but it's not as light/tuned/mental as a 750 Gixer.. so I'm assuming it'll be fairly manageable.

I'm looking forward to a good few test rides ahead of actually buying one :D

The Supra will be going to make room for it - I'll be moving up to London town soon so no need for a car.

Nice work mate! :D What bike are you thinking of?

Hopefully I'll be able to say the same by the end of the month :)

I'm still thinking of the Varadero - I know it's a 1000cc bike, but it's not as light/tuned/mental as a 750 Gixer.. so I'm assuming it'll be fairly manageable.

I'm looking forward to a good few test rides ahead of actually buying one :D

The Supra will be going to make room for it - I'll be moving up to London town soon so no need for a car.

I was thinking of going for the SV1000 SZ special model as my first bike - looks like a GSX-R, has a decent torquey V-Twin but is much cheaper to insure as not classed as a supersports.

http://www.svcontact.com/svcontact/images/SV1000SZ_2005.jpg

Still got another Supra to buy though so most likely to do that first... about to move house to a place with a double garage within the next few months first.

Will check out the Varadero, sounds interesting.

Cheers,

Brian.

That looks a nice enough bike, i am going to get rid of my ZX9r soon, to old the be crouched over on a sports bike any more, i think im going to get a Z1000, cracking engine and nice sit up ride, should wheelie nice.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1921213.htm

Yeah the guy in the local Bike shop was raving about those, quite appealed to me too. Offered me a day trying out all the big Bikes including that, the big 1400 GTR, ZZR 1400, ZX-10R etc. - he knows I'm a new rider but reckoned if I was mental enough to teach myself on a 'blade thou and was still with us after surviving riding that for a while then there must be 'some' skill :D so I could try out each model after saying I was pretty open minded on what Bike I got and could appreciate each model.

It just has to be a decent size with a ~1L+ engine for me, I don't particularly wanna be over on my wrists all day on a blat and I certainly don't wanna have to rev the nuts off it all the time VTEC style to get anywhere. I also don't wanna pay silly insurance for the 1st year so that comes into it and strangely the ultra tourers seem reasonable even though they have a 1400 engine.