The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My first steps into the worldof bikes...

Mike

I've mentioned getting a bike on here in the past.. so I finally did something about it :)

I passed my CBT on Saturday and have my first lesson booked in for next week (I'm in London with work all this week so I'll have to wait!?).

As most of you will know I'm quite tall (6ft 10), so the search for a bike is probably not going to be easy...

To be honest I was on this random little Yamaha 125 all day on Saturday and was it comfy enough (even though I probably looked ridiculous!), so I'm not feeling as anxious as I was about finding a bike that's big enough.

The two bikes that seem to stand out are the Kawasaki KLR650 and the Versys...

One of my mates at work has a big old BMW Tourer (1050 GS) which he said is 'the biggest bike you can get'...but to be honest it didn't feel that huge once the suspension had settled in. I'm not really into Tourers neither tbh. Super Moto is probably what I'm looking for.

Any suggests of bikes to have a look at? Obviously it's early days and I intend to have a proper look around before I buy anything.... but I would be interested in what other tall folks on here have ridden.

Any other tips on gear would also be useful... what helmet should I go for? Shoei? Arai?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking about getting my bike test done for quite a few years myself. Not quite as tall as you (a piffling 6 foot 2) so you will have more problems that most.

As for gear, go for whatever feels right/comfy etc. Both Shoei and Arai are excellent for safety etc and is probably the most overlooked item of clothing etc as a lot of people go for whichever looks right!!

Best bet would be to go to your local bike accessory shop and talk it through with an independent advisor. You wont be the only giant/man-mountain/freak (delete as applicable :p ) that they have dealt with and will give you some good advice.

Alex.

hi

i did my cbt and theroy last year waiting for it to get dryer to finish my test

in no hurry as i got the quad to get out on at the mo

the bike that gotme wanting to do my test was the drz400sm

can be resticted forthe 33hp rule or tuned for a right laugh, there are loads of bigger moto styles about some with jack up kits

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides--tests/2008/September/sep1508-top-ten-33bhp-bikes/

other i fancyed was the xt660 a little problem with snatchy throttle response at low revs but this can be sorted

http://www.xt660.com/site/

I can't find that? Do you have a linky?

I think these are the ones: http://www.mottmotorcycles.co.uk/

I've never been there as I can't even ride a bicycle without crashing into street furniture. Hence, not a specific recommendation but just a heads-up. :)

If you travel northbound along the M3 and come off at the southern Basingstoke junction, then head into Basingstoke itself, within a mile or so of leaving the motorway the dual carriageway briefly shrinks down to single lane. At about this point the bike shop is on your right. If you reach the 2nd set of traffic lights you've gone too far. :)