The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you take an R35 over a 997 Turbo?

Miguel

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally for that sort of money i'd go R8 OR an Aston Martin.

imi

I agree with those who says R8 or Aston for that kinda money.

Aston would be the way to go for me for the money, too. Gorgeous.

Up until about three months ago I would have said the same. However, when I looked over a very low mileage DB9 in detail I was very suprised at the seemingly poor material choices and corrosion.

Don't get me wrong - they look lovely, sound nice, the drive was smooth (if not particularly fast) and the interior looked great but there was so much corroded aluminium on the thing it spoilt my previous perceptions. Wheels, centre caps, under bonnet bracing and framework, engine related covers and panels etc...it put me right off and I wouldn't dream of buying one if I lived in this country due to the moisture and seemingly inherent corrosion issues.

Maybe I was looking at a bad one? :shrug:

I would probably be leaning towards an R8 V10 (over the 997TT and R35) but I have no idea if the cost is comparable.

???

The R35 was built to take on the 911, you probably won't find 2 cars that are more comparable

Although on paper that may be true of Nissan's intentions.

In terms of image & poise in reality the GTR will never compete and I am sure Nissan are aware of that. At least in the short term.

The fact of the matter is, 95% of the bankers and lawyers in the city for example would never ever consider a GTR due to the fact it's image says "boy racer" pedigree.

Porsche background is far less brash, and more elegant. The image they want to portray.

That's what I meant when I said you are comparing 2 different kettles of fish.

Like comparing a lambo murch. with the LFA. Yes the LFA *may* perform better but I bet if you ask the same question which people would prefer, most will say a lambo.

you have one ordered so a bit late dude lmao :)

Doesn't mean I can't cancel bud. :)

Being a shy and retiring wallflower I like to blend into the background, but the R8 / R10 are stunning looking and the R8 I drove was sublime, just sublime.

The R8 V10 is a lovely motor with a lovely soundtrack. Unfortunately totally impractical for me having little to no storage. Now fill me in on these the 997 Turbo unreliability issues?

Up until about three months ago I would have said the same. However, when I looked over a very low mileage DB9 in detail I was very suprised at the seemingly poor material choices and corrosion.

Don't get me wrong - they look lovely, sound nice, the drive was smooth (if not particularly fast) and the interior looked great but there was so much corroded aluminium on the thing it spoilt my previous perceptions. Wheels, centre caps, under bonnet bracing and framework, engine related covers and panels etc...it put me right off and I wouldn't dream of buying one if I lived in this country due to the moisture and seemingly inherent corrosion issues.

Maybe I was looking at a bad one? :shrug:

I would probably be leaning towards an R8 V10 (over the 997TT and R35) but I have no idea if the cost is comparable.

I had the same experience when I looked at a Vantage a little while back. It just seemed to lack that feeling of solidity, and it felt gutless; made a fantastic noise though.

I'm not making a vote. Because there wasn't a 'Keep both and sell the one you like least after a couple of months' button... ;)

I never used to like Porkers much. I appreciate what they are, but I always felt that the Porsche design engineers could have been just a little more adventerous after 30-40 years of production.

However, my opinion changed after you got yours. It's a stunning looking car, that behaves like a pussy car until you provoke it, when it turns into more of a cheetah.

However, as comparisons go, there's a fair price difference there.

As you know, I still think that the unreliability issues 'could' be blown out of context. If there are issues, Nissan will be under heavy pressure to fix them. Some of which may have already been quietly addressed. It's still early days for the GTR.

I like them both. You know that. The GTR we went out in was seriously impressive. You've had a GTR bug for as long as I can remember, but this is the first one that's been a good possibility.

You've also always wanted a Porsche for as long as I've know you, (Which a fair time now), and it has to say something that you've only had the 997 for a short while, and yet there's obviously something that's not quite lighting your fire with it...

I'm not making a vote. Because there wasn't a 'Keep both and sell the one you like least after a couple of months' button... ;).

There's a very good reason why that option is missing from the poll; I'm not Donald Trump. Of course if you're willing to pay I'll get that option added ;)

go for the r35 if it fecks up, we can build you a 800-900 bhp for still way less than the cost of a new 997t..

What about the next time it spits a dummy out? if im honest i worry for you spending all that dosh on something unproven, you could be getting into a world of hurt with tunning that.

What about the next time it spits a dummy out? if im honest i worry for you spending all that dosh on something unproven, you could be getting into a world of hurt with tunning that.

that why we are uprating all internals to cope with more power.. i dont have to run at 900 but we are building to take 1000bhp.

i will be happy at 800..

its getting all top stuff fitted am confident it will be fine.

and japan have a r35 now with getrag 6 speed box :):)