The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would you take an R35 over a 997 Turbo?

Miguel

Both great cars, but the ever increasing stories of failures on stock GTR's has got me questioning my decision on ordering one. Bad news is always prevalent on forums, but there doesn't seem to be a week go by where someone hasn't lunched a gearbox or an engine on the Nissan. I'm sure they aren't as fragile as some of the forums are making out, even if they do cost a fortune to maintain, but am I nuts for wanting to chop in the Beetle for a GTR? What do you guys think.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this needs a poll

Good call Sir, I wonder if the mods would be so kind as to add one for me. :)

I'd have the Porsche for sure, mod it a little if it's not quick enough for you!

That was an option until I looked into the costs:blink: I would also be limited, much like I was with the Supra, as to how far I could go because of the auto box. One of the main attractions of the GTR for me was its gearbox. Ironically the 'supposed' weak point.

How about an upgrade to GT2?

Would love to, one too many pedals for me though mate.

Not a chance in hell.

The Porsche is in a different league as far as I'm concerned. What's the spec on yours? I'd be looking at upgrade packages for the 911 if you're after something more exciting.

Totally stock bud. If the PDK box was available as a cost effective retrofit, I have a feeling my outlook would be somewhat similar to yours.

Would love to, one too many pedals for me though mate.

Totally stock bud. If the PDK box was available as a cost effective retrofit, I have a feeling my outlook would be somewhat similar to yours.

Ah gotcha :)

A PDK retrofit would be one of the best things you could do IMHO, not only will it transform the performance, it'll be more economical too. How much would it set you back to do? Does anyone offer it?

I'd be putting a call into these guys ;)

:drool:

http://www.sportec.ch/files/images/articles/medium/489b97d0d0bce3bef8090b796e101654.jpeg

Ah gotcha :)

A PDK retrofit would be one of the best things you could do IMHO, not only will it transform the performance, it'll be more economical too. How much would it set you back to do? Does anyone offer it?

I'd be putting a call into these guys ;)

I haven't heard of anyone that offers it as a conversion. I've no doubt one of the many Porsche tuners could do it but the cost would be uneconomical; I don't think you would get much change out of 20K. I'm sure if I still had access to a workshop and ramps I could bring that cost down a bit, but not by much. It would make more sense to sell and buy a PDK Turbo, unfortunately bank robbing is not as fruitful as it once was.

Sportec do some very nice stuff. I've been talking to quite a few tuners over the past few months, and the average price for something like an ECU re-flash that gives a 50HP increase is £1500. That gives you an idea on costs. This is another area where the GTR has the upper hand, power gains per £.