The mkiv Supra Owners Club

why do us men have beards?

SupraStar 3000

whilst shaving I started to ponder why do men grow beards in the first place?

I mean,... what are they for? :rolleyes:

Evaluationary speaking is doesn't make sense.

If we are descendants from apes or primates why did we loose the hair on our bodies but grow it on our face (which apes doent have)

WTF are they for?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they can transform your look in an instant.. so many different styles and shapes to suit all faces...from hitler to zz top facial hair defines who we are.. well for those that are able to grow it!! disguise is another use.. grow a beard rob a bank then shave it off no-one will ever know!

i would assume we lost the hair on our bodies is due to the invention of clothes and it being surplus to body warmth requirements, although pubes still grow in pants, one of lifes little mysteries i guess!

Dont pubes stop friction?

I agree, beards are very useful in helping aid us create an identity but surely thats not the only reason we grow them?

Pubes are there to help spread the sexy pheromones, baby! :)

As for beards, they are just there to catch little bits of your meals, so you can have them at a later date when peckish. IIRC ;)

well, according to the interweb....

The difference between the sexes in facial and body hair is a prime example of what's known as sexual selection.

In a nutshell, back in our evolutionary history, our female ancestors began preferring males with more hair. The original reason for this is hard to establish, but it may have something to do with it being a signifier of increased levels of testosterone which correlates with strength and virility.

The propensity to prefer hairier males was passed down to the female descendants, and became self-reinforcing, until we got to the point we are at today.

well, according to the interweb....

The difference between the sexes in facial and body hair is a prime example of what's known as sexual selection.

In a nutshell, back in our evolutionary history, our female ancestors began preferring males with more hair. The original reason for this is hard to establish, but it may have something to do with it being a signifier of increased levels of testosterone which correlates with strength and virility.

The propensity to prefer hairier males was passed down to the female descendants, and became self-reinforcing, until we got to the point we are at today.

Good post and thank you.

I can understand now.

Anyone else any facial questions whilst we're on the subject?