The mkiv Supra Owners Club

left rear suspension woes...

terawua

I have been suspecting something amiss with my cars handling and I have found out there is something amiss with the left rear suspension. I know its not the wheel being loose as I checked the nuts, and its not the wheel bearing as I had this checked recently.

Anyone had occasion to take this part of the car apart - what are the likely cuprits and has anyone replaced/fettled the bushings in this area - would it be worth going aftermarket? (I am working on nights at the moment and I need a working car to get me there and back!)

james

I have been suspecting something amiss with my cars handling and I have found out there is something amiss with the left rear suspension. I know its not the wheel being loose as I checked the nuts, and its not the wheel bearing as I had this checked recently.

Anyone had occasion to take this part of the car apart - what are the likely cuprits and has anyone replaced/fettled the bushings in this area - would it be worth going aftermarket? (I am working on nights at the moment and I need a working car to get me there and back!)

james

Hi James, sounds like you need new arms and bushes on the back, I had new Toyota ones fitted on mine recently. You really need to get the car in the air so you can get ALL the suspension joints checked out.

It would be best to get all the various, rods, arms and bushes replaced on all four corners, or at least change them on both rears otherwise you could get uneven balance left and right.

The parts are not cheap but after I replaced all mine it absolutely transformed the handling of my car.

Well after all I suppose the car is 10 years old now so it wouldnt be that strange to need some suspension fettling, especially when those parts are pretty much exposed to the elements, or hot japanese summers which I am sure will have hardened them up a fair bit. I had been thinking about getting the suspension done, but I seem to remember reading that a full set of TRD bushes cost you in the order of 800 quid. I dont know how comprehensive the whiteline kit is, but I am thinking its more in my price range. I will give Powerstation in Cheltenham, Gloucs a call as I think they stock them over there, as well as doing some internet research..... ;)

I had more than just the bushes replaced, the parts included all the arm assemblies and tie rod ends with new Toyota parts. See images below, the parts marked in red are the ones that were replaced.

52271-14080 Rear Mount Bush x 2

52205-14040 Rear Mount Bush RR-RH

52206-14030 Rear Mount Bush RR-LH

52272-14040 Rear Upper Mount Bush

48770-19025 Rear Upper Arm - RH

48790-19025 Rear Upper Arm - LH

48780-14030 Rear Lower Link x 2

48730-14040 Rear Lower Arm - RH

48740-14070 Rear Lower Arm - LH

48725-14070 Rear Lower Arm Bush x 2

41651-14020 Rear Diff Case Bush No.2

41651-14010 Rear Diff Case Bush No.3

45503-39095 Tie Rod Inner x 2

RR Diff Bushes.jpg

RR LW Arm.jpg

RR LW Link.jpg

RR Mount.jpg

RR UP Arm.jpg

Tie Rod.jpg

Complete.jpeg

The bushes on the front were replaced with TRD parts:

48632-JA800 TRD Front Upper Arm Bush x 4

48654-JA800 TRD Front Lower Arm Bush x 2

48655-JA800 TRD Front Lower Arm Bush - Rear x 2

48725-JA800 TRD Rear Lower Arm Bush x 2

What was the total cost of all the above if you dont mind me asking.

I think i will be going this route sooner rather than later

Not cheap, I'll dig out the reciept.

I may be able to get these cheaper here in HK, if there is enough interest (say 10 members) I could also look at negotiating a discounted price with my supplier.

James, you can get a full set of rear bushings for ~$190 (£110) from a company called TMEnegineering in the US. I was quoted shipping of $90 (£50). URL is:

http://www.tmengineering.net/suspension/r2racing/index.html

You can order direct or Dusty at MVP also sells them. The bushings kit is high quality Polyurethane with graphite (lubricant to prevent squeaking) impregnated. Polyurethane is typically Harder and longer wearing than stock new rubber bushings which you can't buy anyway (must buy full control arm). Slightly stiffer ride and handling.

I had more than just the bushes replaced, the parts included all the arm assemblies and tie rod ends with new Toyota parts. See images below, the parts marked in red are the ones that were replaced.

If anyone is visting a Toyota dealer, could you check the price of these parts for me please. If there is a significant saving to be had, I'll look into sourcing the parts for members from here or arrange a group buy if there are enough people interested :thanks:

I still havent had a look to see what is amiss with mine. Maybe a tad foolish seeing as I am still driving it to and from work.... Nic I will see how I fare with the replacement stuff from the companies mentioned above. If there is anything missing, I will call mr T and get a price on those parts as well.

• 2 weeks later...

update... I had the whiteline kit fitted by powersation in Tewkesbury - they charged 580 to supply and fit. Much better. I am currently in San Francisco, and will be seeing about a personal visit to TM engineering tomorrow as they are in Los Angeles

Well, I made my personal visit to TM engineering, but they were closed. Bugger. I am now feeling frazzled after a 48 hour visit to the US, reurning 6.30am and going straight to work. All is not lost, as he will post it to my very nice GF who will bring them over for me.

• 3 weeks later...
got the rear set from TM Engineering some time back, they`re a good job, (cost around £180 iirc) but i reckon on a 10 yr old + car you need the rest fitted that Nic has listed.

Any updates/prices on those you listed Nic????

I'll put togethr some delivered price options, perhaps if there is enough interest I could place a group order and get some good discount with my supplier. I'll post something up in the next few days.

I got my bushings from TM the other day. They look nice enough, though I dont think I am going to be attempting their installation! I have to say the Whiteline bushing and anti roll bar kit I had installed recently made an incredible difference to the car. Its very much flatter through corners, and can carry much more speed. In a word I am impressed. I hope I notice a further improvement when I get the rear bushings fitted.

I got my bushings from TM the other day. They look nice enough, though I dont think I am going to be attempting their installation! I have to say the Whiteline bushing and anti roll bar kit I had installed recently made an incredible difference to the car. Its very much flatter through corners, and can carry much more speed. In a word I am impressed. I hope I notice a further improvement when I get the rear bushings fitted.

J, you should notice a big difference once the rears are done too, I would also check the condition of the 2 bushes/mounts that support the rear diff, mine were badly worn and causing vibration on the rear.

Anywhere in the UK that does the Whiteline kit you mention??

I have just found out that Cusco have just started to sell a front and rear sway bar for the MKIV Supra. I am going to get prices and look at doing a group buy on these if I can negotiate a good deal with my supplier, I'll post details shortly

Front(32mm Hollow bar): Part number 164 311 A32

The kit includes 2 bushings, and need apprx.1 hour for installation.

Stiffness: 153% against Factory 30mm hollow bar.

Rear(22mm Solid bar): Part number 164 311 BJ22

The kit includes 2 bushings, and need apprx.1 hour for installation.

Stiffness: 2way Adjustable, 240%/297% against Factory 19.2mm hollow bar.

Anywhere in the UK that does the Whiteline kit you mention??

Try Powerstation in Gloucester ( well Tewkesbury).. Charlie Nott-Bower (B'Have) recommended them to me, and I have to say, just looking at the place was very impressive.. no grease monkeys - all pristine and tidy.

I have just found out that Cusco have just started to sell a front and rear sway bar for the MKIV Supra. I am going to get prices and look at doing a group buy on these if I can negotiate a good deal with my supplier, I'll post details shortly

Blimey Nic, those are stiff!....

• 4 weeks later...

How come you didn't do the NO.1 Lower Arm (48710-14110)?