The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Off to Japan for a year

lockys96

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen this thread, glad things are working out for you.:)

I've been over here for 4.5 years now and live in Musashi-Kosugi. The language is a hard slog but it's well worth the effort and essential if you want to stay here long term. You should have a look at http://www.gtr.co.uk, there's a few guys on the board that live in and around Tokyo/Yokohama.

Sup Locky..

I am also in Japan, I work for Toyota South Africa Motors back home and I am on an Inter Company Transfer Program for 2 years...I am working at Toyota Technical Centre in Toyota City...

I have been here for 2 months, so far it has been great except for the language, it is really difficult. Thankfully the guys at work can speak English...

I live in Nagoya City...I hope to find my 2JZGTE soon so I can hit the tracks....

Just seen this thread, glad things are working out for you.:)

I've been over here for 4.5 years now and live in Musashi-Kosugi. The language is a hard slog but it's well worth the effort and essential if you want to stay here long term. You should have a look at http://www.gtr.co.uk, there's a few guys on the board that live in and around Tokyo/Yokohama.

yeh, i know i have to learn the language.

will have to look at a course, but trying to get the better job first so ill prob end up having to find somewhere open on sundays, i have all the rosetta stone stuff now, must get on that.

not really any wangan stuff, seen a group of modified rx7 out at the weekend on the mptorway, when i was on a coach last time.

love to have a car again soon one day, whether ill be back in UK in few years, maybe.

its hard to get high paying job here in teaching, let alone the job, lol. there is plenty of money going around in tokyo, just not in teaching.

yeh, i know i have to learn the language.

will have to look at a course, but trying to get the better job first so ill prob end up having to find somewhere open on sundays, i have all the rosetta stone stuff now, must get on that.

not really any wangan stuff, seen a group of modified rx7 out at the weekend on the mptorway, when i was on a coach last time.

love to have a car again soon one day, whether ill be back in UK in few years, maybe.

its hard to get high paying job here in teaching, let alone the job, lol. there is plenty of money going around in tokyo, just not in teaching.

I have a private lesson once a week and found I learn a lot more one on one. I pay 3,000Yen for an hour. Some of my wife's friends teach Japanese around the Shinjuku area so if you're interested send me a PM and I'll see if they can help.

I think unless you've got the time and the inclination to get out of Tokyo and use a car at either a track or somewhere like Hakone it's not worth having one. It's bloody expensive, the bureaucracy is a pita when it comes to doing *anything*, there's camera's & filth everywhere and I won't even start on the traffic and traffic lights. saying that, once you get up in the mountains the roads are a drivers dream and you soon forget about all the other crap :)

Sounds like you've been lucky to get a teaching job so quickly, I've heard it can be really tough.

lucky yes, there are so many unemployed teachers here or people applying for same job, others prob have spouse visa. and years of teaching experience.

i walked into japan with no job, no experience, a low grade in english, but with my degree etc, i never liked to study before only until i was out of college.

i now have 2 interviews for next week

Any legal jobs in Japan lol? I would go there tomorrow if I got an offer. I have a thousand and one questions to ask you about Japan but I won't bother you lol.

Wangan races, the amazing culture, the friendly people, those cool little apartments, the crazy anime stuff, the hard but interesting language.... I'm not surprised you made the move. It's a brave one. Good luck with your interviews!

• 1 month later...

been working in new job nearly 4 weeks now, baby will be here in 4.5 months.

I found out the other day, a father of a girl that comes to the school owns HKS Japan.

Im going to try and get my boss to introduce me and perhaps i can get a tour or an inside view of the company would be great.

• 5 months later...
im alive and well, so is the family.

Im troubled by current situation and what to do now.

Well mate, glad your ok. I suppose you are lucky that you have the option to come back to the UK if needed, not like those who have lost everything in life (Japanese Nationals). Good your all fine mate and Im sure you will make the best decision for yourself and family

Scotty :)