The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RAC hpi check with free insurance.

JamieP

I've seen lots of people on here say that they would only let a potential buyer test drive their car if they got insured for it first. If you can't have two policies covering one car, surely this would not be possible?

Perhaps the sellers mean "third party cover as part of the buyer's own comprehensive insurance". I wouldn't want to purchase a day's insurance for a car that I haven't bought yet.

The policy belonging to the driver at the time!

What about if your car gets damaged without anyone driving at the time? :) You may have a point about the "driver-car combination" though.

And another thought - if you can pay £20 for a weeks' cover, doesn't that mean you can get a year's cover for £1040 ?

That's less than many of the youngsters here are paying these days!

Of course - they'll probably get a bit suspicious when you get the same car HPI checked every week! :D

Easily dodged by RAC. I would imagine there are clauses in RAC's HPI check that says each person is only entitled to one week's cover every (say) year. I also imagine the free insurance is only available up to a certain value (i.e. to stop a 17 year old getting an HPI check on a Veyron and driving it around Moss Side for a week for free).

Not sure about this two insurance policies question.

I've seen lots of people on here say that they would only let a potential buyer test drive their car if they got insured for it first. If you can't have two policies covering one car, surely this would not be possible?

The policy belonging to the driver at the time!

Maybe you can only have one policy per driver/car combination?

You can have an insurance policy to cover you to drive any car, in that case it would be absolutely fine. I think a trade policy would fall under this criteria?

What you cannot do is have 2 lots of private insurance on an individual car. I asked my Dad about it as I remember us having a bit of trouble when I was learning. He was going to keep his insurance as it was, but they wouldn't insure me, and take out a seperate insurance policy with a different company for me. They wouldn't entertain it. My Dad can't remember if they said it was illegal or not, but we are pretty certain it is to combat fraud.

Perhaps the sellers mean "third party cover as part of the buyer's own comprehensive insurance". I wouldn't want to purchase a day's insurance for a car that I haven't bought yet.

Me either! And I wouldn't expect a buyer of my car to.

Not sure if a seller would care about 3rd party cover - if you test drive my car and plough it into someone else, I'm only worried about getting my money - the 3rd party is your problem.

What about if your car gets damaged without anyone driving at the time? :)

Hmmmm - that's a good point.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...