The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RAC hpi check with free insurance.

JamieP

You can't get insurance on a car that is already insured. Legal reasons... basically so that you can't claim on an accident twice.

So 'Mates' cars and 'Dads' cars are generally out unless they aren't insured already.

Don't think that's right bud, multiple people can insure a car for themselves alone to drive, if I wanted to drive my dads car & he didn't have me on his policy I could get insured on it on another policy

Reason I say it loads of times I've bought/sold cars both myself & the other party have been insured on the car at the same time, I also know of an ongoing case where 3 people were insured at the same time & when damage occured they are arguing over who is to pay up.

Don't think that's right bud, multiple people can insure a car for themselves alone to drive, if I wanted to drive my dads car & he didn't have me on his policy I could get insured on it on another policy

Reason I say it loads of times I've bought/sold cars both myself & the other party have been insured on the car at the same time, I also know of an ongoing case where 3 people were insured at the same time & when damage occured they are arguing over who is to pay up.

I've always been told different by the insurance companies I have been with. Will need to look into it I guess.

As far as I am aware it is illegal to have 2 lots of insurance on one car, one house etc. If you want insured on your Dads car you either get added onto his policy or you change insurers.

Will look into it though.

I know its Wiki but that is how I have always read it...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_two_insurance_companies_insure_the_same_car

Thats not to say people don't do it and come across problems. I just know that if you ask an insurance company they will say no, well they have to me in the past. You can insure a car 100 times if you don't tell anyone, there is no mechanism in place to stop you. It's when it comes claim time that there will be trouble.

If im driving then my insurance, if she is driving then hers i would have thought?

Just thinking. Is your case not a fair bit different? With traders insurance is it not you that is insured to drive any car rather than individual cars?

If that is the case then that is perfectly normal and all above board.

Having the car insured twice on private insurance policies is where it gets dodgy.

I'll happily be proved wrong in this. Will be handy for the future etc. I'm just pretty positive that it's illegal. I guess the best person to ask would be one of the Sky reps :D

Guest Budz86

I've also been told that you can't have two private insurance policies on one vehicle. If you have a trader's policy then you can drive any car and still be covered, dispite the fact that it may be insured under a private policy.

Think about when you drop your car off at a garage to get some work done. They might take it out on a road test, but they don't ask you to uninsure it first, yet they are still covered.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about this two insurance policies question.

I've seen lots of people on here say that they would only let a potential buyer test drive their car if they got insured for it first. If you can't have two policies covering one car, surely this would not be possible?

What happens if the car is in a bump though? Who do you claim from?

The policy belonging to the driver at the time!

Maybe you can only have one policy per driver/car combination?

And another thought - if you can pay £20 for a weeks' cover, doesn't that mean you can get a year's cover for £1040 ?

That's less than many of the youngsters here are paying these days!

Of course - they'll probably get a bit suspicious when you get the same car HPI checked every week! :D