The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Your claim to fame

Charlotte

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I accidentaly had dinner with the Pixies once, before a gig.

Wasn't it The Breeders? :)

I'm going to Primavera Sound in Barca this year and one of my Missus friends is a pro skater who lives there (can't remember his name). This year he is the Pixies driver for the weekend(!) so hopefully I will get to meet them... or just bask in the glory that is Kim Deal :)

Sean Connery looked at my Girlfirends boobs, looked at me and gave me a nod and smile.

I asked Billy Conelly for his autograph when I was about 14, I was having dinner on my own as my parents were at a dinner in a different part of the hotel and he came and had desert with me.

And in no particular order or impressiveness...actually it seems to be in chronological order, so in a sense I lied in my opening gambit.

I met Graham Garden, Bill Oddie and Tim Brooke-Taylor circa 1973 (I should IMDB this for accuracy)

They were filming an episose of the Goodies in Rickmansworth and Bill Oddie did not want to give me (a tiny cute innocent 5 year old ) his autograpgh - I found out why he didn't oblige about 23 years later...

In 1991 I supported Level 42 at the Crystal Palace Bowl as part of a fire breathing act. Met the lads in the band and then I set fire to their on stage monitoring desk when my act went slightly wrong. Only in front of 15,000 fans. Never got asked back. And fined £50. For a replacement knob. Which had melted.

Liam Gallagher and some of his mates stood about 8 foot away from me in the Dublin Castle in about '96. A few weeks later the guitarist from green Day was doing the same.

In '95, my band recored with producer Julian Standen who produced the Lemonheads' "Mrs Robinson"

Ended up round Bill Oddie's house (him again) as he was knowledgeable about 1950's scat music - I had tea with him and asked if he remembered that Goodies filming in a Lake in Rickmansworth. (The Cod War episode) He said yes. I explained my story. He apologised and said he had an in-growing toe nail and didn't want to speak to anyone on the set that day. Bless.

In '99 I drove round to Noel Gallaghers massive house in buckingshire, rang the video buzzer thing on the Gates and spoke to either his wife or housekeepr - I askes if he was in as i would very much like to join the band as their much needed new bass player - She laughed kindly (I think) and I left my demo CD and CV for him to peruse....I'm still waiting.

My mate Ed who produces all my songs is Bonnie Tyler's bass player & Musical Director.

I met her just the once and she looks better now than in the 80s. Actually she also phoned me up a bit drunk after a Germany gig.

I saw Dave Lee Travis at a barbe-cue and old Capital Radio DJ, Pat Sharp in his Porsche, registration: PAT 944 something or other.

We had a Double agent livivng in Chorleywood a few houses up from my parent - Kim Philby.

My friend Shane who I do a lot of open mics with has a sister. She is married to Vinnie Jones.

I sat on the table opposite from Paul Daniels an his wife in a Restaurant on Christmas Day just gone. He seemed very nice, came over and entertained all our kids, in between courses.

That's enough for now. I'm thinking of writing my memoirs of who I've met and where etc and I now have enough to fill an entire pamphlet...so stay tuned folks.

I've had a drink with Stirling Moss in France(I was talking to him for about 15 mins before I realised who he was:d)

I know Jeremy Clarksons wife reasonably well as we do the same European endurance driving run every year.

I sat next to Eric Cantona on a flight to the states once(found out he is a complete n0b head)

I've had dinner with a few of the Blue Peter presenters when I was younger on holiday.

Then there's been a few of the 'bumping into' celebrities over time but never really had that much of a chat with them.

Oh I've also met Roland Gift, Paul Heaton, and "Paul the weatherman" off Calendar news on the telly. All from living in Hull.

I have a photo of me with Henry Cooper somewhere.

:D

Roland Gift's sister was/is a cleaner at B&Q Havant when I used to work there in the 1990s.

Henry Cooper autographed both my boxing gloves when I was a kid.

I've been knocked out cold by an (ex)Premiership footballer's mum.

Jamie Redknapp went to my school.

I've beaten Harry Redknapp off the lights :p

I've been on top gear

I bumped into Jenson Button when he was driving for Honda at Goodwood FoS and wondered why he drove a BMW M3 (license plate JB05 BAR) instead of something tasty like an NSX Type R. Also exiting the car park that year I managed to cover a copper accidentally in mud when I applied a tad too much throttle coming out the field. Oops.

In 1991 I supported Level 42 at the Crystal Palace Bowl as part of a fire breathing act. Met the lads in the band and then I set fire to their on stage monitoring desk when my act went slightly wrong. Only in front of 15,000 fans. Never got asked back. And fined £50. For a replacement knob. Which had melted.

Surely there's a video of this somewhere :D

Liam Gallagher and some of his mates stood about 8 foot away from me in the Dublin Castle in about '96. A few weeks later the guitarist from green Day was doing the same.

You stood in dublin castle for a few weeks? Didn't they kick you out at night when it shut??

In 1991 I supported Level 42 at the Crystal Palace Bowl
I went to school with Mark King from Level 42. (I say "went to school with" but I didn't actually know him. "Went to the same school at the same time" would be more accurate.)

Amusingly, his real name is Joe King!

I have sold anything from plectrums and strings to guitars and pianos to:

Tito Jackson

Pete Docherty

The Stereophonics

Alan Fletcher (Dr Karl Kennedy from Neighbours).

I had the guitar players from 3 Inches Of Blood (known metal band) try to see if I would swap one of my guitars for one of theirs when I played a gig with them.

Had email conversations about the live setup of Dimebag Darrell's guitar gear with his own tech.

Was in contact with the bassist from Napalm Death and helped organise getting them a gig here in Aberdeen.

I grew up with Robbie Renwick (young British Olympic swimmer).

My uncle is Steve Gibbons who was big in the 70's/80's and regularly supported The Who in concert.

I used to go out with a girl whos uncle was the lead singer with Judas Priest.

Oh, when I was very young I went out with a girl who went on to star in Family Affairs and Casualty.

Some good stories here. Conclusions so far:

1) Geoff Capes gets around a bit. :)

2) I need to get out more, if the best I can come up with is a 30 year old anecdote of something that took less than 10 seconds. :(

Ah...but if the clocks had moved forward that night, you would have able to say "...an hour and ten minutes!"

Was it sex?