The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting the paintwork very shiney

AJI

Just trying to find out a step by step process of giving my Supra's paitwork a damn good clean and shine.

I currently have a colour match polish, a tub of wax, some water and a bucket.

Not being gelled up on the detailing side of things, what would also be a good purchase to give my Supra a new look of life for this summer?

I would usually give it a good clean with warm water, then once dry a once over with the colour match polish. Then a going over with the wax.

But this does not bring up the same level of shine as some cars that I see in similar silver colour.

I would usually give it a good clean with warm water, then once dry a once over with the colour match polish. Then a going over with the wax.

But this does not bring up the same level of shine as some cars that I see in similar silver colour.

Your problem here is all that wax you put on before, you are removing with your polish.

The basic steps to getting a good finish is clay/polish until the paintwork is nice and smooth, and swirl free. Then you just need to wax it to protect it, and keep waxing it again after washing (no more polishing - otherwise it removes your protective wax layer)

If you are looking for a simple cheap method to keep your paint looking good, go with the following:

Wash with a good shampoo (meguiars gold class)

Autoglym super resin polish to polish and hide swirls

Meguiars stage 2 polish - this is actually a glaze which adds 'wetness' to the finish (or Autoglym ultra deep shine is an alternative)

Then once you have done these 3 steps, just go with a wax, if you get your stuff from hellfrauds then maybe meguiars gold class wax or autoglym extra gloss protection

Then wash and rewax after you have done all this. Of course you can repolish if your paint gets really bad but remember to wax again after, but really polishing shouldn't be done that often