The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What does "Dibbs" mean to you.

Terminator

As it was related to selling supra parts within this Supra community I though Supra Chat was appropriate. But mods have responded.

Actually, I guess it could be in either :)

Tempting to move it back. But that would be silly.

And I don't do silly...

I did'nt read it all to be honest, i just read the title and it seemed Off Topic, and most of the posts were non supra related. I just assumed the whole thread was about 'What does Dibbs mean, only reason i thought it was in the wrong section.

Ban?

Not really sure it makes much difference at all?

I mean, if I say to someone selling something "I'll take that!", what's to stop me saying a few days later I don't then want it? Apart from the seller then posting I've messed them about... but surely that's the same whether I say I want "1st dibbs" on it or not?

:shrug:

Theres nothings stopping you from saying ' I dont want it now' But i think the point is, you should be 100% sure you want it before posting that you would like to buy it, other wise people will think its sold only to find out a few days later you've changed your mind. This can be annoying for both the seller, and other members.

Of course, I agree.

My response to the topic is that I think if you 'call dibbs' on an item then it means you are having said item. My previous post makes more sense if I'd made clear I think there's no difference to me in saying "1st dibbs!" or "I'll take it!" ;)

I suppose there needs to be an official poll/discussion then on whether the definition of 'dibbs' needs to be clarified for use on here, as it's obviously caused some issues.

Well to me it depends on the selling situation. If someone is gauging interest/thinking of selling/might sell soon etc, it's ok to have dibbs if you are interested. This helps the seller judging if there's enough interest in the item he/she thinks of selling.

If the seller already sets the final price and have the item ready to be sold then first come (with money) first served imo.

Well I presume in most cases the seller would already have the pic up but if you are interested but no pictures there's always the PM system ;)

Ive seen quite a lot of ads that really need a pic but the seller hasnt posted any, someone shows interest and asks for pics, the seller says yeh i'll get some up asap then posts a pic and says item sold ?

I think if you dont want anyone responding with 1st dibbs 2nd dibbs etc just say so in the ad, simples or ban it and its 1st come 1st served.

Ads that start a bidding war in my opinion are far worse than the dibbs going on

'dibbs' is up to the seller. If they want to entertain somebody on the basis that they think they may want it then thats fine by them.

If I sell something it is the first person on a PM that makes me an offer I like. If somebody makes a low offer and the second person makes a better one closer to what I asked for then they get it.

Nobody should ever assume their 'dibbs' is holding an item, and should not get uppity when the seller received an offer via PM that they prefer. Totally up to the seller who they sell to, at what price and how. The deal is not done until the money and good have been exchanged.

I agree in that the dibs calling is an issue, as homer and others have said, money talks. Show your commitment or leave it to others who will commit to the purchase.

Also i've sold bits where I've said highest bidder from zero upwards by such a day can have the item.

Guess I'm lucky, I've not been dicked about by any buyer, once by a seller (an auth'd trader on here in fact), treat others as you would want to be treated if you were the buyer/seller. Prompt payment and good communication makes a good trade.