The mkiv Supra Owners Club

me vs K8 210 full racing bike

fastisnice

You cant take a normal big turbo supra and run at 11.9, or you'll go bang !

Dont try it, you need the technological advances to do it, I used to run 10.8 also, but no more!

I honestly dont know the timing on this one, as i dont personally map it, but it sounds as smooth and sweet as a V8, has massively improved fuel economy, better off boost torque (I use stock C/R).

It is possible to make the 2JZ more efficent, and its been done to a better degree than mine, but I am waiting on the final longer term test results before going the next step.

I'll be happy to give you a spin when all done. For now i am fitting new pumps, lines, filters etc, and then will do the rest of the tuning. This is not a necessary step just me making myself happier with it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know anyone did run 10.8!

11.4 was mooted, I used to do 11.8, I'm happy with anything around there, but if someone says 12:1 afrs to me I'm thinking that's 12.0 to 12.9, and 12.9 is scary stuff. You say 11.9 is "around the 12's" but I think it's "around the 11's" so therein probably lies some comical misunderstandings :)

It's all about in-cylinder cooling anyway, so the precise ratios are probably not as important as it seems - as long as it stays cool enough to stop det you are sorted. A carefully built individual engine can probably run quite lean if it's got good cooling, intercooling, no hotspots in any cylinder heads, decent oil etc etc and it can also be affected by the general ambient temps and how the car is driven. Of course in your case, Ernie, that last one is the mother of all shakedowns ;)

Long full boost pulls through 6th gear will show up any in-cylinder cooling issues but it'll show it up in a rather fatal fashion. So I'm more inclined to believe what you say than some random punter who pops up saying they run 12.5:1 at 2bar - yeah, in 2nd gear on the high street for 0.5s maybe, it'll last ages like that, now try it at 150mph+ :)

If you've got some funky stuff in the bag that improves economy (don't believe you etc etc :p ) and lets you run safely at slightly leaner ratios, I do hope you share that at some point. You know how we all like tested, proven, and evidenced improvements :thumbs:

-Ian

ps apologies for dragging this thread off-track haha

I map on BP ultimate as it the highest octane thats in my town.

I would like to get wot to 12.5 and 16.5 at cruising in the future, but waiting on another development to do that safely. I recently screwed the afr's up by doing a no brainer and adjusting my fuel pressure, doh!, but have it nearly back to where it was which of course i didnt take note of.

I map on BP ultimate as it the highest octane thats in my town.

I would like to get wot to 12.5 and 16.5 at cruising in the future, but waiting on another development to do that safely. I recently screwed the afr's up by doing a no brainer and adjusting my fuel pressure, doh!, but have it nearly back to where it was which of course i didnt take note of.

Isn't it amazing how much changing the static pressure cocks up your fuel map :)

12.5 sounds adventurous. If it was a choice between that and pulled timing, or richer and more timing (and therefore more power), which way would you go?

Can you indicate what these 'developments' are without being hunted down by black helicopters? :)

If you've got some funky stuff in the bag that improves economy (don't believe you etc etc :p ) and lets you run safely at slightly leaner ratios, I do hope you share that at some point. You know how we all like tested, proven, and evidenced improvements :thumbs:

-Ian

ps apologies for dragging this thread off-track haha

IF my plans work out, almost everyone is invited for a spin.

Your post is spot on, and yes new goodies do wonderful things, but before letting the cat out of the bag i want to make sure the handful of us trying it have tested it to the patents pendings, dont want anyone trying this and popping a motor.

Ian just be patient until summer, then we can all hopefully have a VERY efficent and powerful engine :) All going well you'll have a big smile on your face after these new goodies are tried and tested

You keeping it now then, i see you put up a couple of for sale threads?:)

Sounds like a direct injection conversion to me.

I would be massively impressed if someone was to achieve this. The cash and machining required to re-engineer the head to achieve a true DI would be eye watering.

EDIT: A 2JZ-FSE head is possibly another option, but again your into the realms of changing pistons etc etc..big investment.