The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good PC stratergy Games

Whitesupraboy2

Mechcommander had me hooked for 3 years lol.

Its not great in the strategy market at the moment.. most games have boring / easy single player campaigns.. and online play tends to be rife of 12 yr old kids who nerdrage often..

A good strategy game I know of is "Heroes of Newerth" its still in Beta, the community.. its a mix between kids and mature people so its not that bad if you mute a fair few - but with it being in beta you can play it for free I think. This game is purely online only - no subscription fee though.

Its a take on a mod someone made for warcraft - 5v5 matches, each person gets a hero they level up and the aim of the game is to work together as a team to killthe enemies heros / bases etc. No two games are the same. its a strategy with RPG elements.

As for C&C etc.. they tend to lag out in multiplayer and you often find after 30 minutes the game is out of sync!

World in conflict wasnt bad.. awesome graphics on it. Multiplayer wasnt bad but that was maybe 1.5 yrs ago I tried it..

Latest C&C looks pants to be fair.. they went for all the glitzy graphical wows with lasers and stuff which I feel has removed the actual strategy from it.

If you like space-based strategy games then Sins of a Solar empire isnt too bad. no "campaign" to speak of, ive not tried the online multiplayer much but sometimes it does sync out.. but its got a decent enough AI to quite happily sap 4 hours of your time - huge babylon5 type battles too :)

Im trying out EVE online - that is sort of like a space sim / strategy / mmorpg thing.. saw a free trial so I thought id give it a go..

Bit complex though.. but last time I logged on 52k players were online at same time on that server I think!

Im trying out EVE online - that is sort of like a space sim / strategy / mmorpg thing.. saw a free trial so I thought id give it a go..

Bit complex though.. but last time I logged on 52k players were online at same time on that server I think!

theres quite a few of us on here already playing this!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=128713&highlight=eve+online

I know someone sort of mentioned it earlier, but you could try Warcraft 3 and let us not forget that timeless classic Starcraft. From what I gather starcraft still has a thriving online community. Starcraft 2 should be out soon. I have to also agree with an earlier comment that C&C/Red Alert although visually impressive has lost the magic that the original C&C's used to have.

I still catch myself saying "haha, that was left handed!" - Commando used scream that when he killed an enemy.

A very good place to pick up old games quite cheaply is, GOG (Good Old Games):

http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

REAL strategy game suggestions :) :

- Dominions 3

- Space Empires 5

- Combat Mission Afrika Corps

- Dwarf Fortress

- X-Com: UFO Defense

- Nethack (the best computer game ever. fact!)

- Laser Squad Nemesis

- Greed Corp

.....and Civilization 5 is due out at the end of this year

Ah excellent ! I keep getting lost in this place its massive.. not a newbie to mmorpgs tho.. spent way too many years playing them lol.

However I arent sure what eve server im on :) will check out that thread!

lol - I got a present for ya! that little commando dude was ace. That was the original command and conquer that was released on the back of Dune 2.. the graphics were naff (though at the time it was cutting edge) but the strategy gameplay in it was awesome.

I remember as a kid wanting to work in a games store after I played that for the first time, against the two shop assistants in debenhams on a 3 player LAN - I thought that was a brilliant job to just play games all day!

Mechcommander online is probably the best strategy game I have played - sadly its veryd ated now and I doubt anyone plays it online any more.

For those mech-fans though there is a crysis mod being released which I think is online play only called "mechwarrior - living ledgends". Its still in beta but from what I have seen its looking to be an impressive mod and use of the crysis engine.

Warcraft 3 - online play tends to be dominated by addons / mods.. the main one being DOTA. Heroes of Newerth is the "spin off" from DOTA and focuses on that mod on its own.

Pure online game - no graphics.. old school BBS style.. "planetarion".. cant begin to imagine how much my college grades suffered because of that game but it was bloody addictive.. remember waking up at 4am just to check if I or any of my alliance had incoming fleets to send counter fleets against lol.