The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I phone or one of the android ones ?

wile e coyote

I have an HTC Hero and have been very pleased with it so far (had it 8 months). It does what I need it to do - and does it very well - and since HTC released a firmware upgrade some months ago it's been a lot faster, too. The music player could be a bit smarter, the file organisation could be handled better, but you can fix most of the basic things with an app a lot of the time. Oh, the camera should have had a flash though, useless without light!

It can be a bit slow at times (I leave it on though, so it probably does needs a reboot every now and then) - but most of the time not in the way you might think i.e. system speed - for example, I am occasionally frustrated by the time it takes to compose/reply to messages - just because it's 3 or 4 clicks without a shortcut (which you can add to the 'desktop') when I'd rather it be 1 or 2, but every user interface I've ever used on a phone has it's quibbles - nothing is perfect :)

I don't dislike the iPhone - I just dislike what you have to put up with in order to own one. All my workmates have them and love them and I have come close to owning one on a few occasions, but I just see the hassle that comes with it just to do simple things and decide against it - plus the dreaded iTunes is required!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an HTC Hero and have been very pleased with it so far (had it 8 months). It does what I need it to do - and does it very well - and since HTC released a firmware upgrade some months ago it's been a lot faster, too. The music player could be a bit smarter, the file organisation could be handled better, but you can fix most of the basic things with an app a lot of the time. Oh, the camera should have had a flash though, useless without light!

It can be a bit slow at times (I leave it on though, so it probably does needs a reboot every now and then) - but most of the time not in the way you might think i.e. system speed - for example, I am occasionally frustrated by the time it takes to compose/reply to messages - just because it's 3 or 4 clicks without a shortcut (which you can add to the 'desktop') when I'd rather it be 1 or 2, but every user interface I've ever used on a phone has it's quibbles - nothing is perfect :)

I don't dislike the iPhone - I just dislike what you have to put up with in order to own one. All my workmates have them and love them and I have come close to owning one on a few occasions, but I just see the hassle that comes with it just to do simple things and decide against it - plus the dreaded iTunes is required!!

I bought the Hero about 6 months ago and have been really pleased with it - which considering how tight I am and that I went from a £10/month rolling contract to £35/month with the hero is quite a feat in itself! I haven't regretted it for a minute.

My only complaint (if I could call it that) is that when I've been running some apps and go to my homescreen whilst the apps are still running, the 'sqiping' form screen to screen gets a bit clunky for a second or two. I think the next generation of HTC Androids will have a faster processor. Oh - and I haven't yet done the firmware upgrade.

Other than that, it's a brilliant phone.

Can the current iPhone multitask?

Have you got a Task Killer app? I clear the browser's cache+history once a week too.

Yeh I have Task Killer, works well - I hardly ever have much stuff open though! I think what may contribute to the occasional slowness is that I leave a browser open always, and on sites like this with changing ads, occasional pic-heavy posts etc it causes a bit of slow down now and then.

It's nothing major, just thought it was worth noting as it is something I have certainly noticed occasionally through my use of the phone.

Oh, and one more point - battery life seems good, I charge it nightly (out of habit!) and have never been near the low level.

The only thing I have against the HD2 is that it's Windows Mobile based and apparently the way the HTC user interface utilises some of the windows features is less than ideal. (And I have no experience of Win Mobile stuff) Great screen though - it's huge!

The only thing I have against the HD2 is that it's Windows Mobile based and apparently the way the HTC user interface utilises some of the windows features is less than ideal. Great screen though - it's huge!

It won't be upgradeable to the new WinMo 7 or whatever it's called this week.

Bit of a mobile dead-end.

BTW, the HTC Legend (or new Hero) doesn't have the new Snapdragon processor but is still much faster than the Hero. Shame it seems to be Vodafone only.

another one avoiding Iphone-itus!

Had my spv for years until It got run over by a car. Now using a htc running android (dont know what the model name would be in the uk) and like it alot! Only gripe is it doesnt connect to outlook... or I havent found out how to yet? lol Stable software and plenty of apps altho thats not why I got it.

edit:

Its a HTC magic.

I've just got a Google Nexus One, very nice phone, surprisingly fast and nice GUI, I'd say its on par with the 3GS iPhones my mates have, there's less apps, but all the apps I need are there. You can swap out the battery if it becomes dud, and the same goes for the micro-sd card (comes with 4gb, supports up to 32gb...when they mass market them...a 16gb sandisk micro-sd is retailing around £60.).

I'm up for upgrading next month and quite unsure too. Don't think it's going to be an Iphone, as while I think they're really smart, they make you look like a complete tool and they're a complete rip off. If 02 let me have one for £35 a month (unlimited calls, texts and net) I may consider it though.

I've had a G1 Android phone for nearly 18months and I love it. Tried the iPhone and couldn't get on with it, I'd rather have a physical keyboard than a touchscreen one that gets all smudgy and horrible after a day.

:yeahthat:

I've had my G1 over a year and still think it's great.

When i'm due an upgrade i want one with a keyboard again, so much easier and quicker. There isn't many of them about though - Nokia N900 and HTC Touch Pro 2, but can't seem to get the HTC anywhere (and it's running Windows rather than Android):

I've just got a Google Nexus One, very nice phone, surprisingly fast and nice GUI, I'd say its on par with the 3GS iPhones my mates have, there's less apps, but all the apps I need are there. You can swap out the battery if it becomes dud, and the same goes for the micro-sd card (comes with 4gb, supports up to 32gb...when they mass market them...a 16gb sandisk micro-sd is retailing around £60.).

Can you see the screen in daylight?

I'm up for upgrading next month and quite unsure too. Don't think it's going to be an Iphone, as while I think they're really smart, they make you look like a complete tool and they're a complete rip off. If 02 let me have one for £35 a month (unlimited calls, texts and net) I may consider it though.

t mobile do the Iphone for 35quid a month

Dont buy the Touch pro2, im on it right now. Its already old fashioned, Windows makes it laggy and you will hate yourself after a full day of use.

Im also waiting for a good new phone. But now we are between any good releases.

Good luck :p

When i'm due an upgrade i want one with a keyboard again, so much easier and quicker. There isn't many of them about though - Nokia N900 and HTC Touch Pro 2, but can't seem to get the HTC anywhere (and it's running Windows rather than Android):

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2009/5/htc-touch-pro-2_468.jpg

Just been playing with the new android phone, one of the new HTC units (don't think it has been released yet).

Have to say I am VERY impressed with the prototype. Very fast, touch screen is very reactive.

Going to get android 2.0 loaded onto it and have a play :)

Android is the future, none of this fruit rubbish ;)

HTC Legend, or Desire.

May well be one of those....

We get them in a somewhat modified state (similar to all the crap they put on the cars to stop people seeing what the actual model looks like), except in this case it appears to be globs of plastic painted on by Ray Charles.....

More likely to be the legend looking at the review pics...

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2009/5/htc-touch-pro-2_468.jpg

Motorola Milestone if you want another android phone with a keyboard?

I've been waiting for the HTC Legend (follow-up to the Hero) or the HTC Desire (basically the Googlephone). Both have been getting good reviews and the Legend looks awesome.

...BUT they'll be Vodafone only so I'm going to wait for the next iphone and get it on Orange.

The Desire has apparently been picked up by all providers, certainly Orange. Supposed to be available from beginning of April I believe. Don't know about the Legend.

Motorola Milestone if you want another android phone with a keyboard?

There is a samsung one as well... I have no idea on model numbers as we get them all under codenames which mean naff all....

Tiny little thing with a slide out keyboard, bit chunky and with a small screen though.