The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I phone or one of the android ones ?

wile e coyote

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went for the blackberry :) email, forums and facebook on the go :)

iPhone, better email, forums and facebook :D

Wait for June or July though, as this is the time when Apple have released new models for the past 3 years so maybe a new one!

I've been waiting for the HTC Legend (follow-up to the Hero) or the HTC Desire (basically the Googlephone). Both have been getting good reviews and the Legend looks awesome.

...BUT they'll be Vodafone only so I'm going to wait for the next iphone and get it on Orange.

I've had a G1 Android phone for nearly 18months and I love it. Tried the iPhone and couldn't get on with it, I'd rather have a physical keyboard than a touchscreen one that gets all smudgy and horrible after a day.

Basically an android does everything that an iPhone does and vice versa. They are both good devices, so just go with the one that you like using...

I don't believe a new iPhone will be coming out in the next few months. If it was going to be ready for release in the next few months they (Apple) would have to be testing them already and all the phone/gadget/hardware sites would be full of specs and reviews by now. But they aren't. Nobody even knows what features it will have, it's all guesswork and wishful thinking. I reckon we won't see the new iPhone until the very end of the year or even 2011.

They could make a killing if they bought out a stop-gap inproved 3GS with just better battery life and a decent camera. It would sell like crazy.

iPhone.

Let's close this thread now :)

Yeah - so you can go order a Porsche like everyone else as well?

I have an android - have done for 16 months now..

Not very "refined" battery life is crap.. but they do lots and 60% of apps are free

But at least with an Android phone you CAN change the battery once it's not holding charge too well - or even buy a spare if it's becoming an issue.

iPhone, better email, forums and facebook

My Android phone has decent email. Links directly to Facebook, Twitter & Flickr too.

Oh - and my Android phone multi-tasks straight out of the box.

And it can be mounted on my pc as an external storage device just by plugging it in on USB - great when someone in the office comes in after lunch with a new album I want - just copy it to my phone and put it on the PC when I get home.

:)

...stuff

I agree, I use the G1 which has a full querty keyboard and full size touchscreen and I even remote desktop into my work computers via 3g and its quite acceptable to navigate around and use sage etc...!

BUT the problem is i cant find a new device that uses andriod that has a physical full querty keyboard and touchscreen.

(if it doesnt have a physical keyboard the onscreen keyboard takes all the display up)

Windows Mobile was fine until MS dumbed it down to make it look and feel like an iPhone. :)

I've not played with windows 6.5 but i've been using wm6.1, wm5 and windows pocket pc 2003 (i think :p ) for a very long time... it will take microsoft and everyone else a heck of a long time to get an apps store as good as Apple... it really has pushed the boundaries.

I did seriously consider getting a Blackberry just because of the qwerty keyboard but my mind changed when my brother device just decided to "hang" tried pulling battery etc but it can only be fixed with a firmware reload (which wont stop it happening again) he ended up losing his contacts etc ... pain in the bum.

my previous handset was an 02XDA Exec, solid device but let down by the software - even though i did flash it many times :)

having seen phones go from being just a phone, to a texting device, to what it is now... i'm just wondering what the next generation of phones will allow us to do :)

I've not played with windows 6.5 but i've been using wm6.1, wm5 and windows pocket pc 2003 (i think :p ) for a very long time...

My first PDA (i-Mate JAM) ran Pocket PC 2003 Mobile too. Since then I've had a TyTn on WM5, an HTC Touch Diamond on WM6 and my current phone an HD2 on WM6.5

As far as usability out of the box, the Diamond won hands down. I had to do a load of tweaking and installing third party apps to make the JAM and TyTn do what I wanted. WM6 seemed to have it all. Now with WM6.5 I'm finding I'm having to change the odd registry value here and there and install some apps to do simple stuff like map the softkeys. Nothing major, just a backwards step in usability. However the whole look and feel of WM6.5 kind of annoyed me to start with but I'm used to it now, and it does work well with the HD2's massive multitouch screen.

TBH I'm not app-mad, so having a huge app store isn't a key selling point for me. The only "real" app I have is to keep track of my archery scores. I use my PDA primarily for storing contacts, appointments and sat nav as well as of course phone and text, but right back to my JAM I was able to surf the web, send e-mails and play media which is why I R on the F, L'ing my A off when someone says that the iPhone is the "first phone to be like a mini PC". :)

I am writing a database application on my PC at the moment to allow me to record purchases on my phone and import them into my accounting software, which is the first "bespoke" PDA thing I've ever done.

I guess my beef with the iPhone is that to me it’s a simple to use fashion accessory first and a good gadget second. Apple's stroke of genius was to take (let's be honest) a second-rate smartphone and turn it into a must-have gadget. I'm an Engineer and a geek so I would rather have a good smartphone that it isn't necessarily cool to own - hence I had one waaaay before the iPhone crowd got told by the marketing people that they really needed one too ;)

I don't believe a new iPhone will be coming out in the next few months. If it was going to be ready for release in the next few months they (Apple) would have to be testing them already and all the phone/gadget/hardware sites would be full of specs and reviews by now. But they aren't. Nobody even knows what features it will have, it's all guesswork and wishful thinking. I reckon we won't see the new iPhone until the very end of the year or even 2011.

They could make a killing if they bought out a stop-gap inproved 3GS with just better battery life and a decent camera. It would sell like crazy.

Apple do like to try and keep things secret. Nobody knew for certain about the ipad until 7-10 days before the announcement. Keeping a new iphone secret would be easy for them and would also stop other companies rushing out the same enhancements before them.

Apple do like to try and keep things secret. Nobody knew for certain about the ipad until 7-10 days before the announcement. Keeping a new iphone secret would be easy for them and would also stop other companies rushing out the same enhancements before them.

There will more likely than not be a new iPhone this summer. Current 3GS needs upgrading.