The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting old !!

tooquicktostop

Well it is starting to show thats for sure, and I am sure those in the late 30's on here have experienced similar :D

I was a chef by trade for over 15 years in fine dining restaurants working split shifts or all day and night for many years and while never really into any high energy sports I was always happy with my fitness levels, I play golf now but used to play ice hockey for a while when I was in my late teens and was a real fan

Well the years have gone by and I have moved to an office based job in an investment back over the last 4 years and added a few pounds :innocent:

To cut a long story short I decided to take the kids to the outdoor ice rink at Canary Wharf a few weeks ago..... now in my head I could still skate, and skate well, but no no no, I was dreadful, the kids mocked and I ended up wiping out a few people in a vein attempt to find the long lost skill, ego bruised (and my ass!) I decided I needed to up the pace a little with a new bike, I have a gym membership, and that is about as close as I get to the gym, just find the whole thing a bit dull

Picked up the bike an hour ago from Decathlon, spent ages looking at the styles and capabilities of the different machines, again never once thinking of my own ability :D, came away with a trial/road hybrid, lights, a computer thing and a little bottle carrier, paid and set off on the 3 mile journey home as my missus had already driven home (got fed up of me looking at the bike specs against price!)

I have not been on a bike on the road for years and again just expected to pick up where I left off, well I got back and have just got my breath back, my legs are on fire and I have oil up my jeans....

Next week I think I will get a skateboard instead :D

:D O dear mate! I'm 23 in july and looking back at what i used be like around 4 to 5 years ago, i'm thinking something has gone badly wrong! I'm not fat , i'd say for my height i'm just the right build but if you was to ever see me run more than 100 yards i think it would look painful! :D smoking doesn't help at all which is my biggest problem although i don't smoke alot! I do need to start doing something about it though before it gets to the bad! :D

LOL! my daughter gave me a bike for Christmas, as i have trouble with my knees when walking medium distances, thought it might take the pressure of them, but i haven't ridden a push bike in over thirty years,

Must admit i haven't summoned up the courage to ride it yet, in case i wobble up the road and promptly fall off.

I am hoping it will help my fitness levels a bit, all i do these days is a short work out twice a week, but at least it sounds like there is hope for me as i have twenty years on you;)

Haha this is brilliant. Ive just turned 29 but unfortunately for me it's the lack of hair rather than the fitness. Im not unfit although I've grown a slight belly and the real shock was when I got my new photo ID for work. I didn't think I'd changed much over the years but the 6/7 years that have past have produced a... shocking result lol. In my defense I don't eat too badly, don't smoke and only drink Jack Daniels occasionaly but Im not very active. Being on the move all day at work I cant be arsed to go to the gym or play football after work so Ive started hill running to get fitter for the 3rd of the 3 peak challenge in a few months - Ben Nevis.

Back to the hair - i was attacked with the clippers last night and given the Ross Kemp treatment. I am the not so proud owner of a number 1 all over but to be fair it had to be done lol.

Just wait until you hit your 50's (like me :() as then you will really find this exercise thing hard.

As most of you know, in the summer I work 8 hours - 7 nights a week for the 6 months of the season. Every morning I wake up I ache like a biatch! :D

In the winter, to try and maintain some semblance of fitness (the word fitness is used very loosely), I try to cycle about 20km most days and work 5 nights a week at the bar.

Even though I do this I still find it hard to lose weight :(

Lol @ Tooquick.

Or at least it I was LOL'ing (is that a word?) until you said you'd got yourself a new bike. I picked up a new bike during the week myself - all £1500 quids worth. (I like nice bikes)

You see, I used to be a racing cyclist in my teens and into my early 20's. In the early 80's I was doing about 14,000 miles a year and still think (even though I'm now in my mid 40's) that I'll be able to get myself pretty fit in a few weeks. (racing 100 miles was never much of a problem 'back in the day') Now having read your post I'm thinking all my mates are going to see me wheezing my way into work and I'll get some serious stick!

:(

Lol @ Tooquick.

Or at least it I was LOL'ing (is that a word?) until you said you'd got yourself a new bike. I picked up a new bike during the week myself - all £1500 quids worth. (I like nice bikes)

You see, I used to be a racing cyclist in my teens and into my early 20's. In the early 80's I was doing about 14,000 miles a year and still think (even though I'm now in my mid 40's) that I'll be able to get myself pretty fit in a few weeks. (racing 100 miles was never much of a problem 'back in the day') Now having read your post I'm thinking all my mates are going to see me wheezing my way into work and I'll get some serious stick!

:(

100 miles, that is very impressive, my ultimate goal would be to cycle to work (14 miles from my home to Canary Wharf), I got as far as Rainham today and I was knackered, every pedal away from home I was thinking of the pedal back ! :D, there was a tasty headwind though :innocent:

lo, im 42 this year i know how you feel, i thought it would be a good idea to play 5 a side with the lads from the office they are all around 19/20 years of age, after 20 minutes of running around i spent the rest of the game thinking i was having a heart attack i only play now if a can play in goal.

I keep trying to get fit, but its just so much effort, its much nicer to sit on sofa with beer and chocolate watching the mind-rot box. Got a 60 mile round trip to work now too, that would be tough going on a bike, even with one of those cool petrol engines!

I really like the look of them!! I'd looked at the electric "kits" before, but how much better would the petrol one be! Could make "starting out" on the bike much less depressing as you could just use the motor when you got tired.

My mid life crisis has came early at 32 im selling my car soon for a bike i thought it would have been a few years yet before i had a sudden urge for childhood dreams again.

I know what you mean though about gettin old i played ice hockey for 10 years thought i could go back to it and went skating a few times and everytime i came off i felt like id been hit by a bus! It creeps up on you fast.

Guest blueangel

lol i recently bought a bike too and have been out on it once, i used to downhill race which to those who dont know would sound easy but even downhills are hard now.

I gave up smoking 2 years ago atleast and vowed to get back in shape due to adding an extra 2 stone but even thou im at the gym 3 times a week for a couple of hours a time the weight didnt come off.

So i bought the bike to play on and get fit but after a breif stint across muddy fields i could have bombed across years ago ive had the shock of my life lol Im getting old.

I am 53 now, bought a bike in 1992 which has covered less than five miles since then and is sitting in the garage collecting dust.

I weigh the same now as when I was 23, but it is distributed in different places these days and no amount of exercise will get it back where it once was.

As a token contribution to a mid-life crisis I started playing touch rugby a year ago. Over ten yards my acceleration is devasting, but I need a good rest after that.

I'm only 25 and it seems to be hitting me :( I used to be in a swimming club for a couple of year until i was 9 then started boxing until i was 15. I then moved to ireland and gave it all up but thought i'd still be able to do what i did. That was until i went swimming 2 weeks ago, i done 1 1/2 lengths and thaught i was going to die :(

I have a crosstrainer, bike, tredmill, rower, situp bench and a big home gym weight machine so i have no excuse i just have to get the finger out now and start working out.

Haha this is brilliant. Ive just turned 29 but unfortunately for me it's the lack of hair rather than the fitness. so Ive started hill running to get fitter for the 3rd of the 3 peak challenge in a few months - Ben Nevis.

I shaved my hear christmas eve 2009 aged 29.

I hated it at first but now I love how low maintenance it all is, I know deep down I should have shaved it off a year before though :D

Good for you on Ben nevis, I have climbed the 3 peaks but not doing all in 24 hours I don't think for a second I could.

Out of the 3 I found Ben Nevis by far the hardest slog and had to be the resting wheezy boy with a note from mummy excluding me from PE several times and rest. Snowdon is good because there are several flat bits and slight inclines, nevis is just hard slog, its a good achievement though and what matters is you finished even if it is tough.

I'm just turned 22 and think my fitness dive is appaling! I used to play football daily while at school until I started working in a guitar shop to get funds. Since then, the active side of me has dwindled and most of my free time is spent writing music and playing live.

I need to get back into 5 a sides or such like!

You see, I used to be a racing cyclist in my teens and into my early 20's. In the early 80's I was doing about 14,000 miles a year and still think (even though I'm now in my mid 40's) that I'll be able to get myself pretty fit in a few weeks.

I was like that as a teenager and a young man. Where I work now I can see the hills of the North York Moors and in my mind I can still just get on the old mountain bike and spend 7 hours riding over them. The reality is I can't walk up the stairs without getting out of breath. Oddly, if I'm walking in town I will walk at quite a fast pace/long stride and then get out of breath, legs burning etc very quickly, I think it still a case that my mind, or ego, hasn't accepted that I'm 40 and 8 stone too heavy.