The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MS Access / VB help

Digsy

Hopefully a quickie.

I want to read the value from a field in a form into a variable in a VB code but I'm not a VB expert and the help files are rubbish.

I've defined the variable using

DIM MYVARIABLE AS STRING

Now I guess I have to use the SET command to read the field name, but that's where I get stuck!

Cheers,

It's been a long while since I touched Access but I know VB pretty well,

dim VariableName as string

will indeed allocate memory for a string of text (assuming that is what you are reading from the form), then you will need to reference a component on the form to extract the value. For example if you have a textbox on the form called text1 you could do

VariableName = text1.text

This assigns the textbox called text1's 'text' property which is (as you would expect) the text within it

Similarly you could have:

dim Length OfText as integer

LengthOfText=Text1.length

This puts the size of the text in a variable which is an integer

Thanks. How do I make sure it looks at the right form?

*edit* I'll expilain myself a bit better. :)

I want to get the data from a text field in the form, so I guess I'll have to use the Value property. The bit I'm having problems with is how to point the variable at the right form.

Let's say the form is called "MyForm" and the field is called "MyFeild".

I'm expecting to have to use something like:

Set MyVariable = MyDatabase.Forms.MyForm.MyFeild.Value

Or…

If the form is open and has focus (which will be the case), maybe VB is smart enough to just use

Set MyVariable = CurrentForm.MyField.Value (or some such).

Or maybe even just

Set MyVariable = MyField.Value

If the VB is being written behind the form itself, then you should be able to say

MyVariable = me.myfield

('me' is the form referring to itself)

No need to set focus on the field as I do this all the time with hidden fields to which you can never pass the focus.

I'm assuming we're talking VBA for access here?

If the VB is being written behind the form itself, then you should be able to say

MyVariable = me.myfield

('me' is the form referring to itself)

No need to set focus on the field as I do this all the time with hidden fields to which you can never pass the focus.

I'm assuming we're talking VBA for access here?

At the moment I'm writing the code in a seperate module so I think I need to create the full path to the field. However, I could attach it specifically to a button click on the form.

Yep, its VBA for Access (2002 I think). I'll have more of a play tonight (when the rest of you are all out getting drunk and enjoying yourselves - suckers ;) )