The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap VVTi (pref. tiptronic)

j_jza80

Looking for a cheap VVTi to start a new project with.

I Would prefer a tiptronic with stock turbos. Good condition stock body cars only please, and preferably Red, yellow (although these two colours seem to be quite rare with VVTi) although white or silver will be considered. Looking to spend maybe £7k?

Thanks, Jason.

Big ask :) but good luck mate, what's the plan?

Thinking of building a killer road car on stock twins. Probably go TTC with Solaris, ditch the steering wheel gear shifters to some paddles from an XKR or similar. IF I get bored I can easily go single 6 speed.

Is the VVTi no good on a single? Is there no way of keeping the shifters and getting something like the BL auto box?

I've got to get another Supra one day, and I'd quite like a newer VVTi Tip. Might just get a MKII Aristo though if going single isn't a simple option.

Is the VVTi no good on a single? Is there no way of keeping the shifters and getting something like the BL auto box?

I've got to get another Supra one day, and I'd quite like a newer VVTi Tip. Might just get a MKII Aristo though if going single isn't a simple option.

Terry Saunders did the first single VVTI and that was one of the nicest singles ive driven.

sorry, my post wasn't that clear - he ran a T04Z on 16 psi with (I think) 650cc injectors on the stock ecu, making around 320 kw.. which was about 50+ kw more than stock twins on same boost. The issue was trying to get control of the autobox using the ViPeC, or piggybacking stock ECU control of the auto.

Dont forget the VVTi Tiptoe has a problem with speed converters. If you are doing 120mph and put your foot down it will drop way down the gears and leave you at the redline.

If you want something quick with top end you may not want a tiptoe.

dont forget the vvti tiptoe has a problem with speed converters. If you are doing 120mph and put your foot down it will drop way down the gears and leave you at the redline.

If you want something quick with top end you may not want a tiptoe.

am sure this might have been sorted, as we sold the blue trd vvti trip and we fitted chip and no issues, unless we are using a different chip.

be interested to know if it is. There was a big discussion about a possible speed cut unit working but nobody every actually turned round and said that yes it is working fine.

I still have my stock speed limiter in until this gets sorted so waiting with interest.

My aristo goes past 120 so far no issues. Not sure which unit is fitted however.

the car will go past 120, but if you floor the accelerator over 120 is will drop to 3rd gear and throw you past the redline. Only affects the VVTI tiptronic cars.

ahaa, a bit of digging on the words kick down and found this

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=155415

Pete runs a tiptoe so perhaps these ones do the trick.

Would be good to be clear on whether it does work or not. Perhaps Pete can give us the nod..

Nope, it doesn't fix it.

My conclusion is that it's ECU based mapping reasons which cannot be overcome by these simple TSD devices.

For instance, you're doing 150mph, the ECU thinks you're doing 120 ish as that's what your TSD has fooled it into thinking. You push the accelerator to the floor to eek out those extra few mphs and bosh, it decides that it's time to drop a gear for you. That's my best guess anyway.

Only fix is to replace the ECU entirely or get jiggy with some major electronics modifications. I do wonder if it could be possible to somehow interrupt the gearbox signals over 120mph to block any attempt to change down from the ECU - bit of a kludge but it'd work I guess?

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.