The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shamu Kills trainer

The Raven

Sea world orlando

Orange County Fire Rescue spokesman John Mulhall says paramedics were called to the Shamu Stadium at the theme park where they found Ms Brancheau, who could not be revived.

Park visitor Victoria Biniak told WKMG-TV that the trainer had just finished explaining to the audience the show they were about to see.

Biniak said the whale suddenly came up from the water, grabbed the trainer around the waist and "thrashed her all around" to the point the trainer's shoe fell off.

Visitors were evacuated from the park, which was then closed.

The same whale has been blamed for two other deaths.

Question is what the hell do they do with it? Shoot it? wait for someone else to die?

Maybe ditch the whole killer whale idea?

just seen this on the news, its a tragic shame, but she knew that at any point the whale would/can at anytime attact its trainer. :(

My view is this, its a wild animal. No wild animal can be trained so well to the fact that it will not have its killer instinct removed from its nature, its born with it.

Us humans think were top of the food chain, in the water were nothing but another meal.

The news said that she 'fell' into the pool and the whale jumped out of the water and caught her.

The whale had been taught to leap and catch items.

Funny how they keep the whales in these environments, teach them tricks as if they are a circus entertainers and then die by one of their own tricks.

Irony at it's best.

Well done the whale I say..

Reading on a bit.

Seems the whale was the bull male,which by all accounts is somekind of breeding animal. Its not allowed to mix with the other whales nor be used in the Belive shows.

Having seen these shows 5 or 6 times, i can see how accidents can and will happen. However the whale in question is kept in a small tank behind the main show tank. No surprise that it gets pissed off.

Seaworld will have to deal with the fallout of this.

RIP Dawn Brancheau

If they were mackerel would a crowd pay a lot of money to watch someone swim and "play" with them? Of course they are dangerous, as are racing cars, boxing and sex with strangers. That's why people participate and watch, for the thrill. Not that I condone dogging.... :)

HaHaHa ........:D

Poor woman , these things are going to happen though !

Not that I condone dogging.... :)

I fear you may regret that comment at some point Chris, when it ends up in somebody's sig;)

Back to whales, IMO the end of this sort of entertainment is long overdue, but you always get the"oh! but there threatened in the wild and we need captive breading programs" so we might as well entertain people and make millions of pounds in the process.

The lion guy on the TV is still supporting his breading program by making them perform, i watched this a couple of times and thought it all looks good, until you see them load the animals up including cubs, and then drive them somewhere four hours away, and get them to perform, its only a matter of time.

In fairness to SeaWorld - I think the whales are treated as well as any animals in the world any where are.

Constant temperature controlled water, large amount of water area to swim in, top team of experts looking after health and feeding needs.

Now, I know they are still in captivity but as far as it goes, it is not a bad gig.

In addition, from what I understand the relationship between the whales and the trainers is one that is built up over a long time and seems to take quiet a lot of time to develop so that there actually is a relationship of some sort between the human and the whales.

When you think about the number of locations around the world where this type of show takes place, the numbers of different people and whales involved, the number of shows per day that take place and the number of days in a year the show happens, I don't think it is just by luck that the number of deaths of trainers by the whales is very low.

Killer Whales are intelligent and humans do not figure very high up their list of things they have an interest in eating (thankfully!).

Proportionately, we are probably more at risk of dying behind the wheel of a Supra than the trainers are of being killed by the whales.

Having seen the show myself a number of times down through the years I have to say it is awe inspiring and I take my hat off to the trainers who do that day in, day out.

And I must say, my thoughts are with Dawn Brancheau and her family. She probably died doing something she loved as much, if not more, than most people here love their Supra's. R.I.P.

On the subject of killer whales, did anyone see Natural World on Beeb 2 last night? :(

I did. It was the Beebs shortened version of Saving Luna which was shown at selective cinemas last year.

It puts a interesting spin on things and certainly makes mock of 'the clue being in the name'.

With regard to the death all I can say is go whale.

I did. It was the Beebs shortened version of Saving Luna which was shown at selective cinemas last year.

It puts a interesting spin on things and certainly makes mock of 'the clue being in the name'.

With regard to the death all I can say is go whale.

:yeahthat:

I saw last night's program too. Funny how things like this happen coincidentally.