The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitment of Titan Adjustable and TRD Anti Roll Bars?

dandan

I'm looking for a bit of help here related to the TRD and adjustable Titan anti roll bars...

I'm looking to buy one or the other but I have a few concerns about the fit and clearance between the front bar and my intercooler piping. The way I have my hot side IC pipe routed is down from the turbo and out to the front of the car past the alternator. It then turns down and out into the inner wing area running really close to the anti roll bar and fairly close to the plastic fan.

As things stand there is plenty of clearance and I am having no issues at all - my concern is what happens when I change the front roll bar...I don't really want to get into modifying the intercooler piping right now. I tried to get a few photos of my piping and the standard front roll bar and hopefully anyone with either of these front bars fitted could do the same so I can see if the bar shapes are different and whether or not they'd foul on my IC piping.

Can anyone help me out or even just comment on how the bars differ in this area?

pipe1.jpg

pipes2.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

i cant help, but thats some sexy pipework :D (when it was clean)

It was nice and clean until I made a 200mile round trip with no undertray and ended up spending most of the time driving in rain and on several filthy roads. A good clean is on the cards this weekend :D

I am fitting a set of TRD's to mine on friday, can photograph them for you next to the OEM's if that helps?

That would be great - thanks.

If you could also take a similar shot to the one below that would be great. It's an easy pic to get from underneath and I did mine without the car being jacked up.

The important part is how far in towards the centre of the car does the bar come before it bends downwards. I tried to outline the normal one in red.....the turquoise one would be BAD for me as that would interfere with my IC pipes.

pipes 3.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I will take a snap of the OEM bars in, the new and old next to each other whilst out, and another of the TRD's in.

Best tell the Sun to hold page 3, unless you get some 'sexier' snaps before. ;)

i can put my oem and titan next to eachother and take a pic on saturday

cheers

Excellent - thanks fellas. I'll be keeping my fingers crosed!

Mmmm, I hope the old dog's bars are not 'sexier' than mine ;)

I guess we'll have a couple of curvy feature shots up by the weekend! :D

As i said in PM Dan, worst case is buy the bar and offer it up. I doubt you would tell from even the best intentioned pics of the bars.

They are still pretty popular so if you bought, saw they wouldn't fit, and sold on you wouldn't be at a loss.

Good point Rob - thanks mate :thumbs:

Is / has your water pump been leaking? The TRD bar should be OK, it's only going to be 1/2 the increase in diameter over stock closer. If the Titan is bent slightly differently it may be an issue, AFAIK the TRD ones mimic the OE bar shape exactly.

Nope - I dribbled a load of water out of one of my temp sensor holes the other day when messing around swapping sensors.

The TRD bars are cheaper than the Titan ones but not adjustable. Maybe the fitment of the Titan will make the decision for me and I'll just go with the TRD. Hopefully I'll get a rough idea from a few photos soon. I don't know how to make a table so this is my best attempt of a summary of the allegedly stiffness comparisons.

Location...Stock.....TRD.....Titan Light.....Titan Medium.....Titan Stiff

Front.........364.......462........499................. - .................587

Rear..........340.......432........366................458.................583

Here's some bumf I copied from the MVP site.

Titan

These bars weigh 15 pounds for both of them and they are made of chromoly with only the newest technology available.The Front Bar specs are as follows (note these #'s are measured by the stiffness of the existing TRD sway bar that you can get from TRD):Front Sway Bar (2 way adjustable):Light Setting 8% stiffer then TRD 498.9 lbs/inHeavy Setting 27% stiffer than TRD 585 lbs/inRear Sway Bar (3 way adjustable):Light 18% softer then TRD 367 lbs/inMedium 6% Stiffer than TRD 458 lbs/inHeavy 35% Stiffer than TRD 588 lbs/in

TRD

These bars are 27% stiffer than stock, providing needed extra control in the corners. Price is for BOTH the front and the rear bars and all the necessary bushings. These bars can NOT be bought seperately, this is the only way TRD sells them!

I have chosen the TRD's, because my car is my 'daily driver', but I have read on here somewhere that a member found the TRD rears too stiff for road use?

The Titan's are more for track use, I bet the millions of single potholes we have in our roads, would feel more like billions at the higher weights.

One thing I am curious about though, the TRD's are a matched increase over stock at both front and rear, yet the Titan's front/rear weight increase is 'all over the shop'?

Maybe this is for us, just to wonder, and Chris Wilson to know ;)

Edit

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Dan,

Bad news i'm afraid, looks like you won't be using The TRD's with your 'sexy' pumbing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105836&d=1267220798

The TRD bar is not bent as tight, and confirms your worst fears.

The TRD bracket has a grease nipple, but not as strong as the OEM.

There are a pair of spacer shims in the kit, but no instructions, these shims fit under the brackets, but don't know to put them front or rear?

attachment.php?attachmentid=105837&d=1267220798

The bend was so far across, the bar fouled the bottom hose.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105840&d=1267220798

attachment.php?attachmentid=105838&d=1267220798

attachment.php?attachmentid=105839&d=1267220798

Plenty of room before the bend, so cut off 30mm.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105841&d=1267220880

Plenty of clearance all round.

attachment.php?attachmentid=105842&d=1267220880

js800_ARB's_001.jpg

js800_ARB's_004.jpg

js800_ARB's_002.jpg

js800_ARB's_003.jpg

js800_ARB's_005.jpg

js800_ARB's_006.jpg

js800_ARB's_007.jpg

Dan,

Bad news i'm afraid, looks like you won't be using The TRD's with your 'sexy' pumbing.

The TRD bar is not bent as tight, and confirms your worst fears.

The TRD bracket has a grease nipple, but not as strong as the OEM.

There are a pair of spacer shims in the kit, but no instructions, these shims fit under the brackets, but don't know to put them front or rear?

The bend was so far across, the bar fouled the bottom hose.

Thanks very much for all those pictures David - much appreciated :thumbs:

It looks like you are 100% correct though - I'm screwed if I go with a TRD bar and my current IC piping! I will compare your photos to my car tomorrow in the daylight - your pics are more useful than mine :D

Maybe I will have to modify the intercooler piping afterall.

OK - where are the photos from the Titan guys? :D

think the titan will not fit :(, cant find my oe one :)

I think you are right - damn! :( Thanks for posting up the pics, looks like there may be some pipework alterations about to take place :D

I have my Titan ones here in the UK if you want to use them Dan, or at least offer them up. Save waiting on shipping from the US. Going to be a while til i get to the point i need them on mine, so either use them and replace them for me, or something.

Drop me a PM if that will help.

Rob - you're a gent. Thaks for that offer mate, I will probably take you up on it. :thumbs:

I'm waiting to hear back from Dusty regarding delivery etc so I'll drop you a pm once I hear from him.