The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ok to powder coat split rims?

JamieP

jamie, if your never going to take the rim apart and your sure of this then no problem you can do it without taking them apart. if in the future something happens and you have to take it apart then it will ruin the paint job because your going to have to crack the paint in order to get the centre out. a lot of people take them apart because they like changing the colours of the inner bit. :)

A lot will depend how they are sealed, some split rims use a large o ring to do this which sits between the 2 halves if 2 piece, the heat from the powder coating oven will more than likely ruin that seal if thats how yours are sealed, you might have to strip the 2 pieces apart to change that seal.

Powder coat oven is 200 degrees C and they will be in there for approx 20 mins.

If their 3 piece then they will more than likely be sealed in the tyre well where the 3 pieces meet, this is done with a Sikaflex sealer like silicon, that will also cook and need to be removed and re apply new but that can be done without stripping the wheels.

The downside in powder coating them complete will be all the bolts will get done and in my opinion that looks crap.

From what I've read before it will depend on the wheel design, though in general it doesn't seem to be recommended.

Are they bolted split rims?

I see no reason why you cant do it apart from the question regarding the sealing of the 2 or 3 pieces.

Ibrar has done quite a few for customers with no problems .

How else can they be held together if not by bolts ?

On a slight tangeant...

As well as being bolted, are splits rims interference fit? Must a lot of heat be applied to the rim to remove the centre piece?

No their not interferance but usually a close clearance fit. No heat required to split them and if their stuck together a rubber mallet ususally does the trick.

I'd be interested in the cost of powder coating as one piece. I've been wanting to get mine done but haven't due to lacking funds and the extra cost of splitting.

If their not being taken apart then surely there the same cost as a 1 piece but with a small charge for removing the sealer and re applying new.

If there sealed with sealer that is and not the o ring type.

Ask Ibrar for prices !

I'd be interested in the cost of powder coating as one piece. I've been wanting to get mine done but haven't due to lacking funds and the extra cost of splitting.

My guy charges 140 for any size wheels, did a stunning job on my Volk drag wheels, ill stick some pics up of them and these split rims when done.