The mkiv Supra Owners Club

long distance relationships.

ClaireRZ-S

Hey just wondering how do you do it? I broke up with my boyfriend last night because of this :(. How do you stay with someone if you know its not going to go anywhere?

Depends how much you both love each other and your personal situations.

If you have the time and can afford to travel to and from then that makes it easier, if not then unless you are head over heels blah blah it wont last

I used to go out with a girl in Dublin but it didnt last, that was due to her being too young for me though rather than any other reason.

Would you consider moving closer to him or vice versa? I lived in the uk and my girl in Tralee we used to take it in turns to fly see eachother at the weekends and it was a nightmare. She moved over to the uk last year which made things far more acceptable.

Unless your closer to one another it very rarely works out im affraid.

Depends how much you both love each other and your personal situations.

If you have the time and can afford to travel to and from then that makes it easier, if not then unless you are head over heels blah blah it wont last

I used to go out with a girl in Dublin but it didnt last, that was due to her being too young for me though rather than any other reason.

Ya thats true we had such a bad year i don.t think another one would be good. I mean i.m 26 next month and don.t want to be 30 and still in a long distance relationship.

how long had you known him ?never had any myself , but the mates of mine over the years that have none of them ever worked out .

trouble is you cant stay in all the time and thats where the likelihood of meeting someone else comes into the equation

ya i guess but its hard to not to see your friends at weekends n stuff.

Would you consider moving closer to him or vice versa? I lived in the uk and my girl in Tralee we used to take it in turns to fly see eachother at the weekends and it was a nightmare. She moved over to the uk last year which made things far more acceptable.

Unless your closer to one another it very rarely works out im affraid.

ya i thought about that but we are over a 3 hour drive away from each other and my job is here etc .

I know it aint long distance, but when your 18 and have fek all money, the 70 to 80 mile trip from Yarmouth to Cambridge is a mission!

I met my fiancee on a night out in Cambridge, swapped numbers etc, met up 2 weeks later etc etc, it was a killer not being able to see her when i wanted so eventually she moved to Yarmouth, we lived there for 2 years and then we moved to Cambridge after we had little one ( 2 years later), I've never wanted to return back to Yarmouth to live etc as its so much better in Cambridge, I have my fiancee and little girl and i'm happy!

As I say it aint really a long distance relationship but it felt like it at the time, and if she didn't move down I doubt we'd have been together now, I had fek all money and was in a bad way financially back then!

I suppose what i'm trying to say is that if you want to stay together something will have to give! :)

Hope things work out for you :)

Last year I had a very long distance relationship with a Chinese girl I'd met while on a business trip to Hong Kong. It could've been great, if I had tons of money to be able to go there more often, but after 3 trips it wiped my funds, so had to end it. Sadly.

We still communicate on text or email, but it's not the same as meeting someone local, so you can see them when you fancy, or too close when you don't. ;)

Sorry, to hear about it, but youll get over it and move on.

Plenty more fish in the sea, as they say, but with modern fishing techniques, that's not so strictly true. (courtesy of TV Burp)

Just take heart that there are more single men in the UK now, than single women, so you may still have a chance. ;)

This subject fascinates me. I've posted before about my doubts that we can find the 'love of our lives', or 'total soulmate' etc within our immediate geographical area, or immediate social area.

I myself, am not well travelled. I could have ended up married to a lass from Eyemouth, had I not moved south for work. Then again, I wouldn't have met my wife to be had she not moved back to the UK from South Africa. Who knows how my marital life would have panned out if, say, I was an International Man of Mystery.

The Bourne Identity sums up what I'm attempting to get out there, an American meeting a German whilst in Switzerland.

Obviously its impractical to scour the Earth looking for someone who may complete our lives slightly more than the local talent, and even if we did, there would be a nagging doubt that another 1000 miles of travel, or another night in the Tibetian Hotel that so far had only offered the romantic opportunity of a goat, two llamas and a Canadian moose searching for herself, would have resulted in that encounter that makes our lives really really really complete.

Simply put - you stay together and make it work if you care enough about each other. Biggest thing is communication, particularly not being afraid to express your own needs - but at the same time there has to be compromise.

My gf and I had been long distance (Australia - Finland) for 2 years before I moved to London, and we're now not-as-long distance :p It works because we make it work.

And to be blunt, if you can't make just 3 hours distance work, it will never work and you should move on.

My son met his soulmate / girlfriend of seven years during a school trip to Russia. She's attractive, blonde, blue eyed, intelligent and extremely polite. Serendipity ? Would he have met her if I couldn't have afforded the school trip for him ? Perhaps her being in his class at school and her parents being able to afford the same trip to Russia helped. Who knows.

They currently endure a long distance relationship, she's down here in Dorset, he's up in Coventry. I worry about it sometimes, as I've seen some of the lasses up there at Cov Uni. Wow.

Even worse, I've seen some of the hunks she works with down here too... Again, Wow.

They can work, I had a girlfriend move to Brighton to train as a nurse for 3 years.

I used to travel to Brighton nearly every weekend to see her as she didn't drive, Then she would come down to me once a month.

The relationship didn't last for more than a couple of years after she moved away, but that wasn't to do with the distance. I used to really enjoy the whole missing each other all week then having a really good weekend together. The best thing was we didn't ever argue, to much time spent together isn't always good.

:( 30 years, no parole. Having said that, I'm allowed out three hours every saturday.

Three hours every saturday sounds like heaven :), I went out the other saturday to fly, first time in months. Within 2 hours the wife was on the phone "when you coming home".

Being married and having 2 young children certainly takes away nearly all the "You" time.

She hates her current job, maybe I should suggest a good university in Brighton to train as a nurse :)