The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's your favourite Winter Olympics sport?

Mike

I caught up with the Winter Olympics last night on the ole' iPlayer... :)

I could watch this stuff all day... why is Curling so compulsive!? :blink:

My favourites are Luge (for speed related thrills, those folks are missing the fear gene) and the short track speed skating... how effing good is that!?

Anyone else watching any of this? even though the 'highlights' seem to be on at silly o'clock in the morning!?

Here is what's coming up next week... :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Women's downhill skiing for me. I saw it a couple of nights ago when Vonn won the gold, knicker-gripping stuff. I remember watching Ski Sunday years ago, and thinking that the slopes didn't look particularly steep. Well, fast forward a few years and I was looking down a men's downhill run in France: crikey! You may as well ski off a sheer cliff.

Women's downhill skiing for me. I saw it a couple of nights ago when Vonn won the gold, knicker-gripping stuff. I remember watching Ski Sunday years ago, and thinking that the slopes didn't look particularly steep. Well, fast forward a few years and I was looking down a men's downhill run in France: crikey! You may as well ski off a sheer cliff.

God, yes. I watched that race. What an amazing piece of television that was.

I caught up with the Winter Olympics last night on the ole' iPlayer... :)

I could watch this stuff all day... why is Curling so compulsive!? :blink:

My favourites are Luge (for speed related thrills, those folks are missing the fear gene) and the short track speed skating... how effing good is that!?

Anyone else watching any of this? even though the 'highlights' seem to be on at silly o'clock in the morning!?

Here is what's coming up next week... :)

It has to be the curling for me, but then again I have curled for years now including competitions abroad so I know a couple of the competitors.

I used to play in the junior comps so know Eve Muirhead the British skip.

Its a great sport and I cant believe how many people comment on it at work about how good it is to watch.

I'd really like to try it... is it something many places do? How did you get into it? :)

Well living in Scotland is definately an advantage:d I started when I was 10 and it was through my Primary school. Basically the Head teacher was a curler so he started us off. Then from there on I played in a league that was set up for schools.

Then at high school there was big school competitions so played in that every year. The I started playing in the Junior competitions with my best finish as 3rd in the Scottish Junior Championships. Then I took a break for a while when I finished Uni.

Started playing again a lot more this year and hoping to get back into the mens competitions next season.

Anyway I believer there are a number of ice rinks in England now for curling so it would be a case of finding the nearest and going along. I think it is starting to take off a bit more in England so it is def something that will expand. Once you have found an ice rink near you they will offer lessons etc so you can try it out.

Hope this helps, sorry for the essay:)

I love the moguls and the ski jumping! Moguls is great just watching there legs look like they're actually part of a cartoon, whilst the upper body is relatively still. Must take it's toll on the knees.

The Ski Jumping for the thrill it must be I guess. Like the luges, these people have no fear gene and just go flying midair for 7-10 seconds at a time, at 75mph over 100 plus meters in many cases. Ski flying is even better though.

Here's the Ski Flying World Record

Q4c4DhVVAwU