The mkiv Supra Owners Club

For review - Single turbo FAQ - Fundamentals

Homer

I suppose we have to look at where you'd stop with this, there are lots of iterations/permutations with what you have. The 3 main big differences are

1. Single in a manual (mention power ratings for 5/6 speed)

2. Single in an auto (stock box / with oil coolers / BL etc)

3. Single in a VVTI.

They all have various choices of ECU, manual having the most, Auto having the least due to line pressue for the box. Then there's injectors - you can run a small single on UK stock but not really on J-Spec stock 440s.

Homer, are you looking for the guide to be akin to the BPU guide? A sort of one-size fits all or will this potentially open up? As the BPU guide is easily applicable for all varients of the car due to the gearbox control/power rating not really being an issue (bar on a W58 NA-T/NA-TT conv) and no ECU changes required. I am making the assumption that this guide will be written for people that have a TT engine+drivetrain, is that correct?

Can see if if we open it up to too many permutations it will get vague and hard to follow. IMO it should just cater for people with TT engine+drivetrain as not many NA-T people have gone above the W58 box limit and the demographic of NA-TT owners is small compared to standard TT owners (not having a dig here at NA-TT). If it does though it should heavily emphasise for them that drivetrain is one of those mandatory things to upgrade from a W58 at the very least.

EDIT : Ignore most of this now, re-read post #1 and this mainly comes under your 'other considerations'

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

whats the deal running big BHP in an auto? if going for 500-600bhp will the autobox be ok if you get an oil cooler on there?

I'd advise speaking to a few traders on here, or the chaps in the US and people who have attempted to run big-single setups on an auto.

Coolers are there to stop you frying the clutch packs.

550BHP is possible with some large coolant on a stock box I have been told. It's not the BHP that kills the box but the torque.

Good people to advise on this I'd say would be tDR/Paul Mac/dude/b'have/LeeP. Most serious people seem to have hi-stalls and BL/TH400 boxes in there.

Holding out myself to either start a return to twins setup project myself or get a manual in mine.

Oh and drop a PM to Kranz to see if he has any of the group buy Fluidyne cooler kits left :)

Homer apologies for the OT, but assuming these posts will be deleted sometime :)

• 6 months later...

As this is such a complex subject, and as Darryl has already alluded, is full of myth and misinformation, perhaps a club guide should initially focus on, what can be reliably achieved and sustained ( with the emphasis on sustained) with an unopened TT engine. It is a widely held belief that Toyota designed a 500bhp motor and detuned it for production. There are quite a few cars that have reliably run power figures in the 500/550 bhp range for many years, without issue. Starting at this level of power involves the basics, and would cater for stock Auto box cars. Obviously user health checks on the engine proposed for a single or twin conversion, being the starting point before development. Further power increases could be dealt with in subsequent sections, leaving the initial guide as uncomplicated as possible.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)