The mkiv Supra Owners Club

For review - Single turbo FAQ - Fundamentals

Homer

Similar to the BPU FAQ, I've been working on a similar one for APU. Please review post no2 and provide feedback on content and structure. Any feedback is appreciated (if you disagree with anything please say so and explain why). There is no bad feedback :)

Please read before replying:

- This is the first section of a long FAQ for the single turbo conversion

- The intention of this section is to introduce "newbie's" to the fundemantal information and considerations taken when choosing a single turbo setup

- There are 7 other sections, this 'fundamentals' section is not intended to cover these, it's just an introduction. The other sections will cover:

* Turbocharger choice

* Manifold choice

* Fuel system selection

* Gearbox considerations

* ECU/mapper options

* Parts required

* Sample kits & prices

I'll also post a review thread for these once I'm happy with them (and finished writing them!). This 'fundamentals' thread is the most difficult as it's not really techincal, so need your help to get it as accurate and informative as possible.

TIA :thumbs:

Name:

Single Turbo

Also known as:

APU (Advanced Performance Upgrade)

What is it?

The stock TT system, when run at full BPU can achieve 400bhp, with cams, ECU, injectors, etc up to 440bhp. With hybrids, 450bhp. Due to limitations of the stock manifold and turbine sizes available it is not possible to achieve more power without moving to more advanced modifications. If more than 450bhp is desired the entire stock turbo system needs to be replaced, along with many other items.

Single turbo conversions can generate as little or as much power as your budget and requirements allow, anywhere between 350 and 1000+bhp can be achieved on the 2JZ engine

How it works

The single turbo conversion replaces the exhaust side of the engine, essentially everything from the exhaust ports on the head to the 2nd decat pipe. A high flow manifold, high performance external wastegate and a single, though much larger, turbocharger is installed.

Fundamentals of Single turbo conversions

The single larger turbo charger can produce a much higher air flow than the small, stock, turbochargers. This allows:

1) Far higher boost levels to be achieved (Stock turbo’s are designed to run at 0.76bar, but can be raised to 1.2bar, though this will shorten their life). Most of the single turbo chargers are designed to work at much higher boost levels and they are most efficient between 1.6 and 2.0 bar. However this is turbo charger dependant as each are designed differently and have a efficiency island which can be seen on the manufactures compressor map .

2) Due to simpler design and much larger size it is more efficient when used to produce higher levels of boost. The compressed air it produces at any given boost will be cooler than that from the stock system; Cooler air = More power. Anyone who has driven a turbocharged car in both the summer and winter will know just how significant this difference can be!

As an example, a stock TT BPU car will produce approx 400bhp at 1.2bar, while a mid sized single at the same boost pressure will produce approx 500bhp

Since the turbocharger change replaces so many of the stock components many other items are required to make the system work (full details below). These include a mappable ECU, boost controller, larger injectors, uprated fuel pump, various gauges, etc. It is not a simple a bolt-on upgrade

Choosing the right conversion for you

This area is often the most discussed item when considering a single turbo conversion. It is a minefield or information and misinformation alike!

Power objectives

This might seem like a simple decision but is far more complex than would initially appear. There are many factors to take into consideration.

The very first decision on selecting a turbo kit is to understand your performance requirements and use of the car. In general, if the car is to be used as road car then typical power goals will be between 500 and 600bhp.

This might not sound like much when compared to some of the higher specification cars, however this level of power is more than 99.5% of cars on the British roads today and the performance is breathtaking. More than this level of power will make it a demanding car to use on the road and will tend to be for those that are experienced drivers and/or those that use the car for track days or drag racing.

The cars use

Is it a weekend car, or used daily? Is it planned to be used in track or drag racing? The components used and much of the specification of the best single conversion for you will be based on the answer to this question.

For example, a drag car will typically use a very large turbo, high lift cams and many other high end components to get as much power as possible towards the higher RPM's, but for a short period each time it’s used (12s or less)

A track car will be build for a balance between power delivery and durability.

As road car, well that's just down to what you prefer to drive on the road, though the specification will be closer to that of a track car.

Your budget

Possibly one of the most often discussed items for conversion and most hotly contested! A typical conversion price, using new, high quality parts will be around £7k. However, this can vary greatly dependant on the modifications already installed, the cars gearbox and obviously your power and reliability goals.

In summary: Decide the above 3 points and then consider if a single conversion is viable for you.

There is an often quoted truism: "Cheap, Reliable, Fast - Pick two".

Looks good to me, I think it would be useful to put details of gearboxes in though, some people say the auto will take 450 others 500BHp, I presume with the 7 K price quoted that leaves 3K spare for the required auto to manual conversion? I often see 10K thrown around as the price for a single conversion.

Details of any possible replacement autobox would be cool.

Nice work

Looks good to me, I think it would be useful to put details of gearboxes in though, some people say the auto will take 450 others 500BHp, I presume with the 7 K price quoted that leaves 3K spare for the required auto to manual conversion? I often see 10K thrown around as the price for a single conversion.

Details of any possible replacement autobox would be cool.

Nice work

- There are 7 other sections, this 'fundamentals' section is not intended to cover these, it's just an introduction. The other sections will cover:

* Turbocharger choice

* Manifold choice

* Fuel system selection

* Gearbox considerations

* ECU/mapper options

* Parts required

* Sample kits & prices

TIA :thumbs:

;)

Thanks for all the feedback so far, some good comments have been made :thumbs:

Is there anything else missing in this introduction section? Not sure why but it feels a bit incomplete right now..

Is this guide going to assume people are buying kits, or is it going to include designing your own bespoke system?

Originally it was going to be the former, but after starting it, it soon became apparent it wasn't possible to advise any kit without explaining all other considerations.

The purpose is to inform people of the considerations needed to select the correct kit or parts based on their requirements, budget and use so will essentially cover both aspects

So how come APU only covers Single conversion?

Surely it should also state the (much less treaded) big twin path? Admittedly you replace just as much as a single conversion.

Originally I was going to cover single and twin. But the amount of work involved to explain even the single conversion is enough. I will try and cover the twin turbo route after the single one is complete, however at this stage I don't have enough knowledge of the setup to do that.

Although gearbox considerations is earmarked as a later topic it should probably be briefly mentioned in this first section that the auto is a limiting factor ~500BHP.

That's a good point. Although there is already a section written about the auto box I will add a sumary to the indrouction too to make sure it gets captured early on.

Perhaps a few bits of information to include would be an example of each "size" of single upgrade - i.e. "small" single =

edit: on consideration, this is probably getting more specific than the "basic guide" will cover.

The turbo selection, torque and bhp delivery will be covered in the 'turbocharger choice' section. I don't want to get into drag racing stats though, very few are interested in it here and figures acheived in the UK don't really have any bearing on the conversion spec. It's not really something that can be easily quantified so prefer not to get into that level detail at this stage, as you say it's getting a bit too specific. Could be something to add once the main sections are complete though.

The turbo selection, torque and bhp delivery will be covered in the 'turbocharger choice' section. I don't want to get into drag racing stats though, very few are interested in it here and figures acheived in the UK don't really have any bearing on the conversion spec. It's not really something that can be easily quantified so prefer not to get into that level detail at this stage, as you say it's getting a bit too specific. Could be something to add once the main sections are complete though.

Yeah - I was just trying to find some data to be used to indicate exactly how the car performs. While people may not be keen on drag racing over here, I think it still gives a good indication of acceleration... or perhaps I should ask, if drag stats aren't used how do people know how fast a car is over here?

• 2 weeks later...
*bump*

Any more feedback on this before posting the next section(s)? Any feedback is very much welcome, those that disagree with any statements can often be more helpful than those that agree!

Could we suggest project threads as build references? I.e to give examples of what people have previously covered?

If we could suggest a few threads that'd make good examples and then have a poll?

I'm not after any thread that singles out one kit, but maybe have a multitude. Ones done locally, in foreign countries, diy, by an auth'd trader, big singles, small singles, track/drag/street intentional setips/spec?

The thing that confuses me the most is all the different specs of turbos available.

Would be great to have a list of them and their particulars like max bhp, lag, spool etc etc...but then i guess that would be a massive project to get it altogether!!

Also would be good to know what size injectors are best suited to different turbos.

I am full bpu, so i think from your list i'd need:

* Turbo kit

* injectors (size?)

* fuel rail?

* ecu (prob ryans new AEM model)

* mapping

Now i "think" thats it going from your list, but i wouldn't know where to start on the injectors and turbo kit tbh! :)