The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Importing a car from Ireland.. Import Tax?

JamieP

Huge ship mate,think im on the slow one, seems steady enough, my new TT auto on its way home:)

Slow being the operative word. Mind you, saves forking out for plasters - excuse the pun.

Looks nice enough, how many Supra's does one man need? You starting up a dealership or something :D

Slow being the operative word. Mind you, saves forking out for plasters - excuse the pun.

Looks nice enough, how many Supra's does one man need? You starting up a dealership or something :D

Lol, 3.5 hours, i got me laptop and a jug of coffe to keep me going.:)

What's the red car parked (well) behind you? I did Shropshire to Stranraer, then slow ferry to Belfast, across the north of the island, picked a puppy up, drove back again. PITA! You hitting the road as soon as you get off the boat?

That's quite a trip, tiring too. I used to take the same route only starting in Kent, when I drove over to see the family in the north. I try and go Holyhead - Dublin way now as it breaks up the driving a bit.

Yep, a friend was supposed to be flying me over, but he's a wet lettuce and he cried off due to "low cloud and variable weather forecast". I saw dozens of private planes during the crossing, turned out he had a new bird he wanted to see, I think ;) Had to book whatever crossing I could at the very last minute and go in an untaxed car with trade plates in the footwell. No one batted an eyelid there and back, luckily.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to rekindle an old thread but could do with some advice on this.

Found a car in southern Ireland on southern plates, tax & nct (if that's correct, their version of mot) which I want to bring back here. I am a little bewildered by the registration process and fees, can you advise Jamie, or anyone else who knows for certain. I guess the above still applies, not tax. Does this also mean no vat?

Anyone??? Urgently need an answer if possible. Thanks in advance.

That was over a year ago, im lucky if i can remember what happened last week, it was all pretty straight forward iirc, i just mot'd it and took all the relevant paperwork to the dvla and they re registered it while i waited, never paid any import duties.

Haha okay thanks mate. When you say mo import tax do you mean you didn't pay anything apart from registration fees to dvla? Justthat obviously normally from japan you pay 10% import tax and 20% vat aswell!

Just don't want to drive a car back from southern ireland thinking I only had to pay the dvla a reg fee, when I get lumbered with a £1000 tax bill! That would hurt, and make the car a definite not bargain. :-(