The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What happens when you die? (serious question)

Jamesy

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as im a christian, i guess it would be rude not to answer here :)

I believe in Jesus, and I believe in what the bible teaches.

We were born sinners, no way to help ourselves, we just do wrong naturally. Jesus, Gods son came to this earth and died for us, and making a sacrafice of himself, so that we dont have to die when we pass from this life. Jesus opened the way for us to go to heaven... but only if we believe in him and have a real relationship with him.

I guess we it comes to this topic I'd have to consider myself as a pagan. I believe a life is a type of energy which is drawn from some great natural reserve which supplies all living things and which passes back to it when we cease to be. But because that energy is constantly being reused everyone and everything has always been and always will be.

My daughter, Alex, was born 2.45am on December 8th, 2009.

She died in my arms at 9.00pm on December 9th.

Its nice to think she is the sun on my face over the last couple of days.

I guess we it comes to this topic I'd have to consider myself as a pagan. I believe a life is a type of energy which is drawn from some great natural reserve which supplies all living things and which passes back to it when we cease to be. But because that energy is constantly being reused everyone and everything has always been and always will be.

My daughter, Alex, was born 2.45am on December 8th, 2009.

She died in my arms at 9.00pm on December 9th.

Its nice to think she is the sun on my face over the last couple of days.

Im sorry to hear that mate, that's real tough. I believe I know where she is now, and its a very good place :)

... but only if we believe in him and have a real relationship with him.

Please don't forget to put a good word in for me in case I'm wrong being atheist :)

That sort of ties in with my scientific point of view....

Jesus opened the way for us to go to heaven... but only if we believe in him and have a real relationship with him.

........surely to believe in him and have a real relationship with him you need to be told about him (is there an age cut off where if by that time you've not found Jesus you are done for should the worst happen, but you're ok beforehand?)............and what of people born isolated from other humanity/christianity, how does Jesus make himself known to them, how can they know who they need to believe and form a relationship with?

Thanks mate, but i'm not looking for a "support group" i'm just putting the question out there as it interests me at this time ....

I'd be happy to hear your thoughts regardless of how positive/negative they are ;)

LOL @ "support group"

I believe we are an are accident of the universe. Our existence being extremely fragile, resulting from an unlikely but not impossible sequence of events, both cosmic and organic. I gave up believing in god after nearly electrocuting my self whist bored at Sunday School.

To support my view an little understanding of Gestalt psychology is needed. In brief humans need to make sense of their world. We always try to make sense of things around us. We try to make things whole, dots on a page, ink blots, pictures on a wall etc so that we can understand or make sense of them. We need closure.

All religions were born in relatively primitive cultures. It is my belief that they arose as these cultures needed to explain not only their existence, but to try to understand the complexities of the world around them. In their battle to survive and understand, the existence of a god or gods help them come to terms with the unexplained events that ruled their lives. Religion took control. Religion gave power, and control to those who set them selves up as religious leaders.

An afterlife is a human concept, born out of a need to understand life and death. A belief in an after life gives comfort to those who are grieving. In primitive cultures a belief in afterlife returned power to the leaders of the religion, ie the ancient Egyptians the were masters of religion.

No hedging my bets, on the off chance, some omnipotent begin is reading this, for me there is nothing after death, except death itself. Life ends for us, we only live on in the memories of those who knew us. Which is a bit shit really, as I will not meet up with long lost friends and relatives, nor be able to drive at insane speeds on the great highway in the sky. Better make the most of it while I still exist.

LOL @ "support group"

I believe we are an are accident of the universe. Our existence being extremely fragile, resulting from an unlikely but not impossible sequence of events, both cosmic and organic. I gave up believing in god after nearly electrocuting my self whist bored at Sunday School.

To support my view an little understanding of Gestalt physcology is needed. In brief humans need to make sence of their world. We always try to make sense of things around us. We try to make things whole, dots on a page, ink blots, pictures on a wall etc so that we can understand or make sense of them. We need closure.

All religions were born in relatively primitive cultures. It is my belief that they arose as these cultures needed to explain not only their existence, but to try to understand the complexities of the world arround them. In their battle to survive and understand, the existance of a god or gods help them come to terms with the unexplaned events that ruled their lives. Relegion took control. Religion gave power, and control to those who set them selves up as religious leaders.

An afterlife is a human concept, born out of a need to understand life and death. A belief in an after life gives comfort to those who are grieving. In primitive cultures a belief in afterlife returned power to the leaders of the religion, ie the ancient Egyptians the were masters of religion.

No hedging my bets, on the off chance, some omnipotent begin is reading this, for me there is nothing after death, except death itself. Life ends for us, we only live on in the memories of those who knew us. Which is a bit $#@! really, as I will not meet up with long lost friends and relatives, nor be able to drive at insane speeds on the great highway in the sky. Better make the most of it while I still exist.

Excellent post.

I'm here all night... :)

oh dear, if its personal than no need to share but i'm interested.

its not personal at all, i am just crap at typing:d

it was basicly 1 guy (me) i fit girl, and 1 fit girls phyco ex boy friend, he started on me when i walked her home, i give him a few punches and he ran off.

I was walking home after leaving her, he was hiding behind a sign and cracked me over the head with a bottle as i walked past,

i grabbed him but he was lashing out with the now broken bottle,

i was very lucky there was a paramedic there within minutes

i ended up with over 200 stiches and boy it hurt more when they plucked them out:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your loss dude :(

I lost my dad when I was 12 (he was 46).

As for my thoughts, I don't know to be honest. I've never really given it much thought. I've not had any moments (of which I can recall) to suggest I've "been here before" or suchlike.

I'd like to think there is something but I'm not religious and tend to just think to make the most of this life as if I assume this is "it" then enjoy what you have now as it may be all you ever do have.

:)

That's fantastic :D if you know what I mean?

Great post :)

I was eight years old at the time, my mum and dad used to kick us out on a Sunday so they could have undisturbed sex. Sunday school was shit, just colouring and singing and praying (with one eye open just in case, the girl I fancied was looking back. In winter there was the bowl reflector electric fire. At the end of the previous school year I had one a prize, a Ladybird science book. I had been reading it before Sunday school. During the prayer, I suddenly remembered the bit in the book about graphite being a conductor. I stuff the pencil into the fire, it hurt like hell and we were plunged in to darkness. I got expelled, if there had been a god he would have understood. My mum and dad were really pissed off. I only found out why a few :dyears later.

This makes great reading nice to get so many different opinions.

What about all this medium stuff, i know people who've been and the person has known everything about them and told them all about what their dead relatives are thinking about them and things theyve done.

There is a really good one down in brighton who does a lot of celebs.

Ive never been into all that. However have thought about it. Who absolutely love to hear that she is there and to know what she thinks. Altho it would tear me up all over again.

I cant think death is it for ever, it may well be but for some reason my head can engage that theory!! :blink:

LOL @ "support group"

To support my view an little understanding of Gestalt psychology is needed. In brief humans need to make sense of their world. We always try to make sense of things around us. We try to make things whole, dots on a page, ink blots, pictures on a wall etc so that we can understand or make sense of them. We need closure.

All religions were born in relatively primitive cultures. It is my belief that they arose as these cultures needed to explain not only their existence, but to try to understand the complexities of the world around them. In their battle to survive and understand, the existence of a god or gods help them come to terms with the unexplained events that ruled their lives. Religion took control. Religion gave power, and control to those who set them selves up as religious leaders.

No hedging my bets, on the off chance, some omnipotent begin is reading this, for me there is nothing after death, except death itself. Life ends for us, we only live on in the memories of those who knew us. Which is a bit shit really, as I will not meet up with long lost friends and relatives, nor be able to drive at insane speeds on the great highway in the sky. Better make the most of it while I still exist.

I agree to an extent.

Ive allways been a been advocate of science. And although not yet proven I belive that the existance of other lifeforms in the universe is almost inevitable given the astronomical numbers involved. any religion which therefore depends on human existance being in some way special or compleatly unique i would readily rule out.

my opinion changed however when i read sikh scriptures written 300 years ago which spoke of countless lifeforms on countless planets in space (intellegent and otherwise).

if scientific observation is in direct contridiction with religiouse scripture, ill readily rule out the scripture.

i havnt found this to be the case with sikh scripture.. yet.

i therefore keep an open mind as to its view regarding the nature of life and death as the most pluasible alternative to the theory that at death we simply stop being aware of anything and truely die in every sence of the word.

This makes great reading nice to get so many different opinions.

What about all this medium stuff, i know people who've been and the person has known everything about them and told them all about what their dead relatives are thinking about them and things theyve done.

There is a really good one down in brighton who does a lot of celebs.

Ive never been into all that. However have thought about it. Who absolutely love to hear that she is there and to know what she thinks. Altho it would tear me up all over again.

I cant think death is it for ever, it may well be but for some reason my head can engage that theory!! :blink:

Mediums trade on people's grief, they are all awful charlatans. People who go to them are, as Termy said, seeking some sort of closure, they want to believe and when the medium uses all their techniques of cold reading and suchlike, the victim makes it all fit themselves. They go away feeling better about their loss, which is no bad thing in itself but they've paid a con-man for the privilege.

When I read the ones in the magazines my wife buys, its all happy endings. No medium ever says "yes, I can see Derek now. He's actually burning in hell for all eternity because unbeknownst to you, he used to touch your kids in the bath. Sorry, but the tea leaves never lie"

My father died believing he would be buried under the earth, and return over time to the soil at the foot of the Welsh hills he had loved so much during his life. Over time he would have become elemental, in the most basic of forms.

A simple belief, yet denied to him by a second-choice wife who believed his spiritual soul had been taken up by Jehova, and had him cremated instead.

His ashes, or rather a convincing amount of the gray stuff that consisted of whatever was left from the coffins and other bodies that were burnt that week, were buried under a tree hundreds of miles away from the land that warmed his heart. To this day I have no idea what tree it was.

That was what happened when he died.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my personal belief is that when you die, it's just like when you go to sleep, but don't dream, and then wake up. Except without the waking up bit.

Why should / would there be anything else? When I really think of it the whole concept of any kind of afterlife just seems, well absurd.