The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Show TVR for sale on Pistonheads

Spike3.0

just how bad are these cars on the reliability front for an everyday car doing between 15 -30 miles a day??

i read somewhere one juy who was that pissed off after his Cerbera needed a second engine rebuild after not so big miles he put in a brand new chevy small block crate motor for less than what the rebuild would cost!

Serious answer, TVR's are about as bad as it gets for reliability. Poor old Toyota are likely to go under with the claims of poor ABS settings in the new Prius (good to see the smug Green brigade having some hassle though... ;)), and the occasionally sticky throttle pedals, but TVR blithely produced cars where wishbones were such poor quality they'd fail catastrophically after a very short lifespan, electric failures were a way of life, and the chassis's themselves were prone to inside out terminal rot before a new suit you bought at the same time went out of fashion. There are far better ways of wasting money!

Serious answer, TVR's are about as bad as it gets for reliability. Poor old Toyota are likely to go under with the claims of poor ABS settings in the new Prius (good to see the smug Green brigade having some hassle though... ;)), and the occasionally sticky throttle pedals, but TVR blithely produced cars where wishbones were such poor quality they'd fail catastrophically after a very short lifespan, electric failures were a way of life, and the chassis's themselves were prone to inside out terminal rot before a new suit you bought at the same time went out of fashion. There are far better ways of wasting money!

thanx Chris

Its one car ive always wanted, but i do not want all the agro of it breaking down - especially as im not "hand on" in the mechanical dept !!

are there certain things you can look for in a used Cerbera that have already been replaced which would make the car a better option? as in parts that have already gone and been replaced hence the previous owner spending the money to get it back to 100%? a bit like buying an M3 Evo which has had a new vanos etc?

Just don't buy one, that's all I can say. They are THAT bad, IMO. They are so far removed from Toyota, or any modern large production car, build quality and development wise as to be from a different planet. For the most the only people who claim they are fantastic are those poor saps with one, or trying to sell one, or those who haven't had one and like the sound or looks of one. Once they've sent them down the road the truth emerges ;)

Just don't buy one, that's all I can say. They are THAT bad, IMO. They are so far removed from Toyota, or any modern large production car, build quality and development wise as to be from a different planet. For the most the only people who claim they are fantastic are those poor saps with one, or trying to sell one, or those who haven't had one and like the sound or looks of one. Once they've sent them down the road the truth emerges ;)

:( gutted! but thanx for the advice...

... i have always wanted to own one, and the noise they make is something else, but this may have to remain just a "dream"!!!!

We have some ex-TVR owners on the Corvette boards. Most if not all of them tell stories of service bills regularly well into 4 figures because there's always something that needs fixing/replacing. Annual maintenance spends of around £6k are not uncommon on Cerberas.

Most can't believe the world they've come into with the 'vette servicing being less than £200 and no major service required until 100k miles. Generally, I spend less than £125 a service on the C6 and buy a set of tyres every 2 to 3 years as I only do about 7 or 8,000 miles in a year. That's it. So I won't be even looking in the direction of a TVR. (Although I hear they look lovely. ;) )